Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone ever disconnected the 3rd brake light cable?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2022, 05:32 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts
Default anyone ever disconnected the 3rd brake light cable?

quick question, has anyone ever taken their wing off, and in the process disconnected the 3rd brake light cable?

I'm in the process of doing this, however the cable is routed along the inside of the engine cover before it heads up into the wing upright, and it is attached to a tab at the right hand side and I am at a loss how to disengage that?

thx
Old 02-20-2022, 05:51 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,233 Likes on 709 Posts

I can't answer your question, but would you be fine living with a brake light fault?
Old 02-20-2022, 08:16 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911dude41
I can't answer your question, but would you be fine living with a brake light fault?
no
Old 02-20-2022, 08:43 PM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 61 Posts

You could maybe find some clues in the install manuals of the aftermarket wings being sold for which you have to do a third brake light delete? APR or Verus?
Old 02-21-2022, 12:59 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by erko1905
You could maybe find some clues in the install manuals of the aftermarket wings being sold for which you have to do a third brake light delete? APR or Verus?
I have the Manthey Racing Wing which has a 3rd brake light, but to install it I must 1st remove the OEM wing, and disconnect its connection, and this intermediate routing is defeating me - I dont want to damage the OEM
brake light cable while removing it...

I'll look into it thx for the pointer
Old 02-21-2022, 01:20 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by erko1905
sadly no joy there to be found....
Old 02-21-2022, 03:19 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 115 Posts

Never done this but did you pop out the existing wing brake light and if so can you detach it at that point so just the wire slides out as you remove the wing. Sold the GT3 or would go out and take a look. There has got to be a disconnect.
Old 02-21-2022, 05:13 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SmokinGTS
Never done this but did you pop out the existing wing brake light and if so can you detach it at that point so just the wire slides out as you remove the wing. Sold the GT3 or would go out and take a look. There has got to be a disconnect.
I'll post a picture but the brake light nor the connector is not the problem, there is a bracket on the right side of the engine compartment right under the wing upright where the wire from the brake light to the connector is routed and
attached via a "peg", its attached by some sort of push-in stud/peg that seems to be designed not to be backed out, I dont want to break or cut anything but need to safely detach the brake light wire from this in order to remove the OEM wing and replace with the MR ...
Old 02-21-2022, 06:58 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SmokinGTS
I'll take a look - not sure that the wire will come out of the wing itself - and its probably harder to re-thread it back into the wing if it did - but I like your thinking
Old 02-21-2022, 08:49 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

looking at this it looks as though the wire may be held in by a clip ... and I don't need to pull the thing itself out...
Old 02-22-2022, 01:20 PM
slipaway37
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
quick question, has anyone ever taken their wing off, and in the process disconnected the 3rd brake light cable?

I'm in the process of doing this, however the cable is routed along the inside of the engine cover before it heads up into the wing upright, and it is attached to a tab at the right hand side and I am at a loss how to disengage that?

thx
Have you conferred with your dealer? My wing was removed to be painted as part of the CPO process, and just a couple months ago I noticed that the outer plastic coating has begun to deteriorate exposing the wires right near the 'plug.' There is a slight rubbing/marring where the wires vibrates against the paint. My guess is normal aging is affecting the pliability of the wires causing the issue. The dealer said looked like a rodent issue, but I do NOT have rodents in garage, nor can any type of rodent fit in that confined space to chew on it. That was their way of not replacing under CPO unless the brake light stops functioning. THEN it becomes a warranty issue.
I am actually having that part removed this Friday by an indy to cover the exposed wiring with shrink wrap or something similar. I can ask the shop owner to take pics, or maybe show me how he did it at pickup. Cannot be that difficult, but I'd be as cautious as you are. Hope you get it corrected!

Last edited by slipaway37; 02-22-2022 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-22-2022, 06:57 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by slipaway37
Have you conferred with your dealer? My wing was removed to be painted as part of the CPO process, and just a couple months ago I noticed that the outer plastic coating has begun to deteriorate exposing the wires right near the 'plug.' There is a slight rubbing/marring where the wires vibrates against the paint. My guess is normal aging is affecting the pliability of the wires causing the issue. The dealer said looked like a rodent issue, but I do NOT have rodents in garage, nor can any type of rodent fit in that confined space to chew on it. That was their way of not replacing under CPO unless the brake light stops functioning. THEN it becomes a warranty issue.
I am actually having that part removed this Friday by an indy to cover the exposed wiring with shrink wrap or something similar. I can ask the shop owner to take pics, or maybe show me how he did it at pickup. Cannot be that difficult, but I'd be as cautious as you are. Hope you get it corrected!
I'd really appreciate it if you could! - I am hesitant to pull on this too much as I want to retain the OEM wing and 3rd brake light functioning while replacing it with the Manthey unit ... and I dont want to damage the wiring loom

Old 04-16-2022, 07:34 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

well I finally "solved" this - the brake light cable is secured to the decklid using a plastic "tab" (picture to follow) the "tab" is mounted to the decklid with a "christmas tree" like grommet which would not pull out - I tried using a
trim tool etc ... I eventually and somewhat accidentally pulled the wire off of the tab (it was taped onto the wire) - I purchased a pair of needle nosed pliers with 90 degree tips ... hoping to "squeeze the tree and pull it out...

that didn't work, but I did manage to get the plier tips around the body of the tab and pulled it out that way ...

I now have my Manthey Racing CF wing on the GT3 ... next step is to install the cup splitter and wheel arch trims ... not too mention the BBS rims and perhaps the Sharkwerks center section and BMC air filters too!

Old 04-18-2022, 05:15 PM
lawlence
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

Yup, that little tab is a pain. I very carefully cut the tape around the harness that is wrapped around the 2 prongs instead.
Old 04-18-2022, 05:31 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lawlence
Yup, that little tab is a pain. I very carefully cut the tape around the harness that is wrapped around the 2 prongs instead.
yes yes it is! - I tried a trim tool to no avail - eventually got it off with a pair of needle nosed pliers - but not before I pulled the wire away from the tabs...

Quick Reply: anyone ever disconnected the 3rd brake light cable?