Sponsored by:

Thoughts on move from 991.1RS to 991.2RS

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2022, 11:32 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by bogey1
After 9,000 miles of mountain road driving I sold my .1RS a few months ago, and began the search for a .2RS. Timing was not great for the purchase - but you only live once and life without an RS is less fun so forget the $$. In any event, it took a few months but I was able to source a terrific Lizard Green WP 991.2RS with about 3,800 miles on the clock. While I was waiting to find the car, in a moment of weakness, I bought the Dundon intake and throttle body to go along with the headers and loud muffler I had taken off my .1RS.

Fast forward and everything has been installed, PPF wrapped, fluids changed and the weather improved enough for my wife and I to hit the N. GA / NC mountains this weekend. Man I missed seat time in these cars!

Initial thoughts:

1. This green is bright! Sort of glows... Didn't think it would stand out more than my UV, but it sure does.
2. Power: I did not get to drive it without the Dundon stuff installed in any meaningful way - but with everything installed I am blown away. This whole power package is simply incredible. The acceleration in 2nd gear and up is significantly improved. The torque from 3,500+ coming out of corners is the most significant and addictive. Above 90mph its a different car. Jamie at Dundon is right - the big improvements come while the car is really moving.
3. Sound: I loved my old set up with Dundon street headers and loud muffler, but the addition of the intake and throttle body on this motor takes it to another level.
4. Suspension: I am sure its my limitations as a driver (and cold roads don't help) but the front end feels lighter than my .1RS right now. The .1RS just inspired confidence with all that mechanical grip. I am going to install a DSC, and am actively asking for advice on suspension settings for a non-track guy that hits the mountain roads pretty hard. I hope to hear from you guys with .2 experience
5. Other Stuff: I love the rear camera and having Apple CarPlay is a great addition for seeing the GPS directions on the screen.

So was the $60,000 delta worth it, for me, maybe.... but with the Dundon package added in - 110%. This car blew me away up there in the mountains and I'm looking forward to getting my confidence back behind the wheel of this thing.

Bogey
Congrats!

Really wish you had more of a before/after regarding the throttle body and intake. I'm thinking of doing that on my RS, but sticking with stock headers.
Old 02-19-2022, 03:04 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by lisocayman
@mooty but then you get stuck with the pig nostrils and the big butt
1. beauty is in the eye of the beholder
2. as an architect and industrial designer previous life, if I wanted a good looking car. I would have never bought German, nothing that came out of that country looked good NOTHING.
3. the nostril changes depending on color, and the 991 nostril is highly unresolved design.
4. there rear end of the 992 is one of the best rear end porsche has ever done seen in real life. it's wide so is 930 and JLo. I look forward to RS, I want the rear WIDER.

Originally Posted by bogey1
Mooty, I tried to find one... for months. Paying $100K+ over sticker was just not making sense in the end. I have never been able to get on the "lists" that allow for new GT cars. (or at least high enough up on lists to actually get a slot). Seeing so many of them flipped is disheartening and the dealer experience that Porsche continues to allow is worse. Even Chevy and Ford have figured it out... ADM's are bad for long term business relationships for all but the chosen few.....Just my $.02.
when priced is factored in I agree, 100+ is crazy. I liek 991.2 RS more than 991.1RS but if you already have 991.1, I wouldn't change; bc the upgrade cost and benefit isn't that good. I would wait for later versions. yes, I have had 991.1gt3, 991.2gt3, 991.1GT3RS, 991.2GT3RS and 991GT2RS. the difference from 1 to 2 is there. but not sure it's money well spent though.
The following users liked this post:
flyjets (02-19-2022)
Old 02-19-2022, 12:39 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
4. there rear end of the 992 is one of the best rear end porsche has ever done seen in real life. it's wide so is 930 and JLo. I look forward to RS, I want the rear WIDER.
I love the 991.2 GT2 RS rear end the most. It's aggressive. My favorite Porsche rear end. The 992 GT3 would look better, IMO, if the cyclops light were removed. Just the two normal, non-connected, rear tail lights. And remove that physical "Porsche" logo. The rear is too busy with those two things. The rest of the car has grown on me.

Last edited by FourT6and2; 02-19-2022 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-19-2022, 12:58 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 111 Posts

I hear you all on the money end for the incremental improvements. I felt like the motor in the .2 was going to be worth it in the long run, but I suppose only time will tell. I have the DSC in hand, and will get it installed prior to the Spring Smokies GT event. That will be the "test" for me and this car! I have put about 600 miles on it in the past few weeks, and the car is learning the Dundon system - just incredible noises.

If anyone has any thoughts on suspension settings, I would appreciate them!
Old 02-19-2022, 09:38 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 157 Posts

I owned both too. Mooty is right. Difference between 991.1 and 991.2 RS is minuscule. 992 GT3 is much better. Premium will come down.
Old 02-21-2022, 12:47 PM
KOTB
Banned

Received 194 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
I owned both too. Mooty is right. Difference between 991.1 and 991.2 RS is minuscule. 992 GT3 is much better. Premium will come down.
I am not sure what is miniscule in your eyes - just the difference in the updated outwardly looks made the switch worthwhile for me....updated infotainment system another big plus, the edgy GT2RS like power delivery and the suspension makes it three times worth its while...at least that is how I made myself believe that the $65K delta was worth it
The following 2 users liked this post by KOTB:
bogey1 (02-21-2022), carcommander (02-24-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 08:51 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KOTB
I am not sure what is miniscule in your eyes - just the difference in the updated outwardly looks made the switch worthwhile for me....updated infotainment system another big plus, the edgy GT2RS like power delivery and the suspension makes it three times worth its while...at least that is how I made myself believe that the $65K delta was worth it
I own a 2RS. .2 3RS isn’t close. I liked the looks of my .1 3RS just as much. 2RS is a whole nother thing. 992 GT3 trumps 991 RS. IMO and apparently Mooty’s.
Old 02-24-2022, 09:13 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 882 Likes on 366 Posts

I own a 2RS. .2 3RS isn’t close. I liked the looks of my .1 3RS just as much. 2RS is a whole nother thing. 992 GT3 trumps 991 RS. IMO and apparently Mooty’s.
me 3

992GT3 is an amazing car
Old 02-24-2022, 11:22 PM
KOTB
Banned

Talking

Originally Posted by richk
me 3

992GT3 is an amazing car

Worth noting and case in point is the fact that the OP is worried about the $50K difference to switch from .1 3RS to .2 3RS, the delta to 992GT3 is clearly more than three times that amount....so that is out of the equation, just saying
Old 02-24-2022, 11:36 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KOTB
Worth noting and case in point is the fact that the OP is worried about the $50K difference to switch from .1 3RS to .2 3RS, the delta to 992GT3 is clearly more than three times that amount....so that is out of the equation, just saying
My point is the juice to go to a .2 RS is not worth the squeeze IMO. And, How much a 992 GT3 costs is highly variable.
Old 02-25-2022, 12:10 AM
KOTB
Banned

My point is the juice to go to a .2 RS is not worth the squeeze IMO. And, How much a 992 GT3 costs is highly variable.

I think that is highly subjective, normal people wont even understand the difference between the two but to someone in the know they will be able to distinguish between the two
IMO, the distinction is pretty pronounced, if you have owned both the .1 3RS and the .2 3RS you should know this .... I have and before the switch, I use to be the same boat and think that they are practically the same cars but when I drove one and bought mine I realized how wrong I was......I am not comparing the .2 3RS with a 2RS, even though I owned one for 4 months, never really got into enjoying that car. My turboS cab did just fine!
Old 02-25-2022, 12:14 AM
KOTB
Banned

And, How much a 992 GT3 costs is highly variable.
Not really, flippers are asking at around $100K over sticker which is going to be a major concern for OP.

Hoping that my 992 GT3 gets here by the time the weather gets really nice but with all this uncertainty in Europe who the hell even knows what's in the near future!
Old 02-25-2022, 12:54 AM
Need4Speedster
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 39 Posts

Owning a GT2 RS, GT3RS (Gen 1) and (Gen 2 Weissach) and a 992 GT3 I have to say the GT2 RS (agree with carcommander) is the undisputed "King of the Hill" but greatly under appreciated by the the naturally aspirated crowd.

That said, while the 992 GT3 is a fantastic car and does many single elements better than the 991 GT3 RS (Gen 2) ultimately the (Gen2 GT3RS) is the more satisfying car to push, best described as being more visceral versus the 992 GT3 which is more clinical and muted.....translated the rewards extracted from the GT3RS (difficult) are more satisfying than those extracted for the 992 GT3 (easier)...but in terms of the Porsche formula this is exactly why the 991 GT2 RS is ultimately the "King of the Hill" and why the normally aspirated pundits (inherent bias) will never admit it..and most opining have never experienced the differences (other than sound)...Porsche knows what they are doing...more than the tuners, bench engineers and naturally aspirated advocates are willing to admit!

While not asked...I think the 991 GT3 RS (Gen 2) is a keeper versus the 992 GT3.

The obvious improvement of the Gen 2 RS over the Gen 1 RS may be lost on some.....but if it is not why would Porsche spend R&D money on it? However, because it is improved that doesn't mean that the differences will appreciated (initially) by the cognoscenti...

Just look at what happened with the air cooled cars!

I do disagree with car commander though..the 991 GT3RS is a far superior car to the 991 GT3 RS, but in typical Porsche fashion the differences are at the margin, and if you don't get there you will never know!

Last edited by Need4Speedster; 02-25-2022 at 12:56 AM. Reason: typo
catdog2 (02-25-2022)
Old 02-25-2022, 03:47 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

I have always hated turbo cars
UNTIL 991 GT2RS.
it doesnt drive like turbo, it doesn't sound like turbo....
I rarely drive cars that are not mine and when I do, I Neve push it.
but the 991GT2RS was a good freinds car. it was new, as in just came off the delivery truck then... it was pouring. I got it to my familiar canyon road... the car does some death defying stuff... I love it.
and I also find that it's a step above GT3RS

991.1RS vs 991.2RS
.2 is better
but improvement vs $ , is highly personal
I tend to buy a new one every time one is release
I like to try them out.
but I am not sure that everyone will be willing to pay the amount of $ for the incremental improvement.
I can only say that .2 is better, but you have to decide if that "betterness" is worth the "dollar spent"
just like some ppl find USDA select = same as $400 BMS 12 waygu... , they may be right if they don't like liquid fat... to each his own. I don't chew my steak, I just drink it.

carcommander (02-25-2022)
Old 02-25-2022, 09:20 AM
C2Spin
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

Thanks for sharing. I have a similar situation. I actually moved from a 991.2 GT3 to a 991.1 RS. Some may said WTF? But when I test drove the .1 RS the difference to me in front end grip was measurable, especially on track. It, too, was UV. Dialed in beautifully. Then I made the move to .2 RS. I felt a bit more torque down low, the jolting of shifts in PDK Sport gone from the .1 (which was NOT confidence inspiring on track). A huge difference was downforce, at least I think so. On my home track (1.78 miles, 10 turns) I was 1.5 seconds quicker in .2 RS first time out. Eventually, that became nearly 3 secs. Had the Dundon race headers and loud muffler on .1 and obviously street headers and loud exhaust on my .2. The Dundon exhaust really brings these cars alive - I. Like. Loud. The throttle body is something Jamie has been poking at me to do. One day.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on move from 991.1RS to 991.2RS