Sponsored by:

Fuel at the track

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2022, 10:42 AM
Surfndav
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Fuel at the track

So I bought my 991.2RS used 5 months ago and we've been tracking it with gusto. About 15 track days so far. I also have a 987.2 Cayman S that is a dedicated track car. With the RS I'm using about 5-6 gallons of gas per 20-minute session. My car has the smaller gas tank, wish it had the bigger one but it was a seller's market. With my Cayman, we usually start out with a 1/3rd of a tank, sometimes at the end of the session, the low fuel light sometimes comes on, not always. With the RS if I start with 2/3's of a tank when the level gets to about half a tank the "Low Fuel" warning comes on. It's quite distracting and I'm hoping that there is a way to set it up so that it won't come on so early. Does anyone have experience with this?
And another question. My Cayman as stated is a dedicated track car that I run 104 Sonoco Race Fuel in. I've been mixing a 1 to 4, 104 octane to 91 octane for the RS making a 93+ octane mix. Will my car benefit for 93 over 91 for track driving?

The picture is of my wife, Rita driving at Arizona Motorsports park on January 30 where she won the Hot Lap/Time Trial event put on by ProAutoSport's. She bested the field by over 1.5 seconds on a 2.5-mile course. We are enjoying this car!

Old 02-09-2022, 10:55 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

I know of no way to adjust the low fuel light warning.

Where we track primarily is 91 octane country. A bunch of the guys were freaking out about not being able to put 93 in before their sessions. I seem to recall our mechanic, who puts these on for us, telling them to put 91 in it and don't worry about it, as it isn't going to make any difference unless it is really, really, really hot (at least I think that is what he said). We can get 93 once we are at the track. They also offer 98 and 104. He told us to stick with 93 and not to put 98 or higher in our cars, as it was not necessary and a waste of money.

Of course that was just the advice to those of us that were there in our (for the most part) stock cars. The serious guys bring their own gas or know what they need to run.
The following users liked this post:
Surfndav (02-09-2022)
Old 02-09-2022, 11:49 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,189 Likes on 701 Posts

I'd be careful with that Sunoco 104. Its oxygenated which means without your tune accounting for it, you might be running the car lean.

Sunoco 260 GT Plus is a highly oxygenated race fuel that will not harm oxygen sensors. It is a popular choice for Crate Engines, Motorcycles, ATV's, Karts and highly tuned vehicles. Due to its high oxygen content, an increase in fuel flow is required to utilize the full potential of 260 GT Plus compared to conventional non-oxygenated fuels.

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 02-09-2022 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-09-2022, 12:05 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 519 Likes on 327 Posts

One of my favorite options on this car is the extended range fuel tank. I can usually get thru the 3rd session before that pesky light comes on. Occasionally I throw a few gallons of 100 into the mix but I can't say I've felt any appreciable difference. The guys at Cobb told me when I was running a tune on a 2015 GTS that the OEM fuel trims were pretty conservative and didn't adjust much to higher octane fuel.
Old 02-09-2022, 12:18 PM
Thrownaway
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

OFF TOPIC-where did you source the numbers?
Old 02-09-2022, 12:30 PM
Surfndav
Racer

Originally Posted by RDCR
One of my favorite options on this car is the extended range fuel tank. I can usually get thru the 3rd session before that pesky light comes on. Occasionally I throw a few gallons of 100 into the mix but I can't say I've felt any appreciable difference. The guys at Cobb told me when I was running a tune on a 2015 GTS that the OEM fuel trims were pretty conservative and didn't adjust much to higher octane fuel.
like I said it’s a sellers market, and that was one of the options that I was really hoping to get. If I start with a full tank before the end of my second session I’ve got the low fuel light coming on. It just comes on on the main screen in the center consul as well as the dash. So it is a bit distracting, but I always bring 20 to 30 more gallons to the track day.
I am not complaining about the gas mileage, I realize keeping your foot in this car is going to burn gas. I guess I’ll just live with the warning light.
Old 02-09-2022, 01:40 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by Surfndav
like I said it’s a sellers market, and that was one of the options that I was really hoping to get. If I start with a full tank before the end of my second session I’ve got the low fuel light coming on. It just comes on on the main screen in the center consul as well as the dash. So it is a bit distracting, but I always bring 20 to 30 more gallons to the track day.
I am not complaining about the gas mileage, I realize keeping your foot in this car is going to burn gas. I guess I’ll just live with the warning light.
I think the warning light is programmed to come on when it computes that you have a certain threshold number of miles remaining in the tank (and it's using the low fuel economy of the track driving to calculate that remaining range - that's why it comes on so early). Not sure there is any way to disable that (nor change the threshold).
Old 02-09-2022, 03:47 PM
Surfndav
Racer

Originally Posted by Thrownaway
I'll ask my wife later and get back to you.
Old 02-09-2022, 03:48 PM
Surfndav
Racer

Originally Posted by GrantG
I think the warning light is programmed to come on when it computes that you have a certain threshold number of miles remaining in the tank (and it's using the low fuel economy of the track driving to calculate that remaining range - that's why it comes on so early). Not sure there is any way to disable that (nor change the threshold).
I'm sure you are right. Come on Porsche.
Old 02-10-2022, 12:04 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

I had the standard gas tank on my silver 991.2 GT3. I had fun with that topic early on https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...tank-myth.html

Anyhow, the low fuel warning always comes on on track at half tank where calculated remaining miles is less than 50 miles. Easy fix: gas up with 5-6 gallon jugs after very 20 minute run

Last edited by Palting; 02-10-2022 at 12:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Surfndav (02-17-2022)
Old 02-10-2022, 11:58 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 519 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrownaway
Those numbers look like something you can get from Trackdecals.com.
Old 02-10-2022, 12:48 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

I could not figure out what numbers y'all were referencing. Now I get it is the numbers on the side of the car. D'oh!

I highly recommend Autocross Digits: https://www.autocrossdigits.com/

I've made them myself, purchased from less expensive vendors, then tried Autocross Digits. My magnetic numbers from Autocross Digits are top notch. Much higher quality than the ones that only lasted a couple of autocross/track seasons.
Old 02-10-2022, 01:39 PM
Surfndav
Racer

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
I could not figure out what numbers y'all were referencing. Now I get it is the numbers on the side of the car. D'oh!

I highly recommend Autocross Digits: https://www.autocrossdigits.com/

I've made them myself, purchased from less expensive vendors, then tried Autocross Digits. My magnetic numbers from Autocross Digits are top notch. Much higher quality than the ones that only lasted a couple of autocross/track seasons.
Magnetic numbers will not work on GT3 or GT3RS doors.
Old 02-10-2022, 02:23 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Magnetic numbers will not work on GT3 or GT3RS doors.
Oh I know. I run them behind the door and over the tires.

Autocross Digits offers magnetic, low tack, and permanent.

This was just slapping them on when I received them. I arrange them nicer for track/autocross.

Last edited by CaymanSinAR; 02-10-2022 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-10-2022, 02:35 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,529 Likes on 5,056 Posts

With the RS if I start with 2/3's of a tank when the level gets to about half a tank the "Low Fuel" warning comes on. It's quite distracting and I'm hoping that there is a way to set it up so that it won't come on so early.
Try this

Quick Reply: Fuel at the track