Sponsored by:

Surface Transforms Rotor Wear for Track Use

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2022, 08:44 PM
CX_GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Surface Transforms Rotor Wear for Track Use

The rotors were purchased used from a gentleman off of Rennlist. He had the rotors refurbished once and never installed again until I purchased them.

Proper bedding procedures were followed, and the pads of choice were Pagid RSL1. The car had about 100 or so street miles before I took it on track. I drove the car for two days at Sebring, the brakes felt very promising and absolutely no signs of brake fade (as expected), but when I examined the brakes afterward; the wear on the rotor seems like as if it were due for a refurbishment, again. I have searched on Rennlist for similar topics but I couldn't find any topics regarding real track use/abuse. Very much appreciated it if any of you have had any similar experiences with the STs.

Any inputs would be helpful.

Old 02-04-2022, 10:14 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,602 Likes on 2,341 Posts

I dont know about ST but from those pictures, if those were PCCB I would have no concerns... those surface markings are typical of the ceramic material

although having said that the circular lines are "unusual" but then it could just be the pad material or its interaction with the ceramics

I'd reach out directly to ST ... they will be able to advise you w.r.t determining the parameters for re-surfacing ...

note that for PCCB - its not the appearance of the rotor surface but a much more technical evaluation involving density and rotor thickness ...

in other words ... don't panic - it takes more than 2x days to wear down ceramics
Old 02-04-2022, 10:25 PM
CX_GT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I dont know about ST but from those pictures, if those were PCCB I would have no concerns... those surface markings are typical of the ceramic material

although having said that the circular lines are "unusual" but then it could just be the pad material or its interaction with the ceramics

I'd reach out directly to ST ... they will be able to advise you w.r.t determining the parameters for re-surfacing ...

note that for PCCB - its not the appearance of the rotor surface but a much more technical evaluation involving density and rotor thickness ...

in other words ... don't panic - it takes more than 2x days to wear down ceramics
I see, thank you for the comment! I have reached out to Autoquest regarding the "issue" and I haven't heard back from them yet.

I will keep this thread updated.
Old 02-05-2022, 10:32 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 542 Likes on 338 Posts

I see you're running a full set of dive planes with stock Aero? How is that working out?
Old 02-05-2022, 03:42 PM
CX_GT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RDCR
I see you're running a full set of dive planes with stock Aero? How is that working out?
Honestly speaking, the dive planes are more of a cosmetics touch than really adding much (if any) downforce. I regularly run the car with the rear wing at the 3rd position and that has been working out fine for me.
Old 02-05-2022, 06:53 PM
NA6speed
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Didn't like my replies in the other thread where you asked the same questions a couple weeks ago?

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post17904586
Old 02-06-2022, 12:43 PM
CX_GT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sacki
Didn't like my replies in the other thread where you asked the same questions a couple of weeks ago?

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post17904586
Haha, of course, that's not the case. Thank you for your replies on the other thread.

I wanted to start a thread where everyone can share their real-world track experiences with these brakes, and at the same time ask around if anyone has experienced a similar situation as stated above.
Old 02-06-2022, 02:37 PM
NA6speed
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

As I said, it looks similar to what I've heard after my trackdays, but after a couple hundred kms on Autobahn they looked like new again Can only speak highly of these discs so far. Have you tried driving/breaking them smooth?
The following users liked this post:
Larry Cable (02-06-2022)

Quick Reply: Surface Transforms Rotor Wear for Track Use