Sponsored by:

CPO warranty repairs by dealer

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2021, 02:49 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by M&Abanker4life
True but they are not solving for the motorsports scenario you are describing. Have fun out there. CPO will generally cover you if you have an issue, however, read the fine print. Tracked cars are not 100% covered in case of failures. Keep up the good relations with your dealer.
Yes, thanks!
Unfortunately, I'm a buy and keep type of person, which does not endear myself to the dealerships, who generally like people who always trade up to the newer models. . .I don't see myself selling my 2015 991.1 Carrera, and I do most of the work on it myself. As for the 2016 991.1 GT3 RS, it's still under warranty, so I take it to the dealer for the approved services. . . but I don't see myself buying a 991.2 or a 992 either; if I lose interest in motorsports (which I would have quickly done if my car had the dreaded cylinder misfire fault), I'll probably just sell the GT3 RS, and keep the Carrera for daily driving.

Last edited by WP0; 12-31-2021 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-31-2022, 06:46 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Update:

The check engine light recurred while driving at Sebring this past weekend, and I got it towed into the local dealership (tow truck arrived on first scheduled date, unlike last time). It turns out that some of the fault codes followed the electronic actuator to the other bank, and some codes stayed on the same side, so they're replacing both electrical and mechanical camshaft actuators on both banks. (So much for them trying to save parts by the prior troubleshooting.)

So, next weekend, it's back to Sebring to see if I can get some laps without a check engine light, and reduced power fault!
Old 10-15-2022, 06:43 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Update: back at the track after the summer off, and second session, I get the same codes: "Engine control fault. Reduced power. consult a workshop."

Just a summary, this same code has popped up repeatedly over the past 12 months: firstly, they simply switched the mechanical and electrical camshaft actuators, to see if the fault code follows to another side, or if it stays on the same side.

The next month, the the same code repeated: the fault was on both sides, so they replaced both the mechanical and electrical camshaft actuators about 6 months ago.

Now the same code has repeated again. . . 991.1 GT3 RS is at the local dealership for the past 1 week. They are waiting for their head mechanic / techinician / foreman to return from vacation, which will be Monday. I've asked them to scope the engine, particularly the camshaft and levers. Any other ideas? (I"ve got 6 more weeks on the CPO). . .

Thanks.

Old 10-15-2022, 11:09 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

compression and leak down? oil test?
Old 10-15-2022, 11:34 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KOAN
compression and leak down? oil test?
OK. Test the oil for metal? Which would hint at deteriorating finger followers..
What exactly do you mean by compression and leak down?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: CPO warranty repairs by dealer