Sponsored by:

CPO warranty repairs by dealer

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2021, 03:45 AM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by flyjets
Get the car back and drive the RS full revs if it malfunctions send it back to them to replace the motor.
I've seen both .1 and .2 all have the issue you described.
What was the problem in those instances?
Old 12-30-2021, 09:59 AM
M&Abanker4life
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 95 Posts

Get the car back and drive the RS full revs if it malfunctions send it back to them to replace the motor.
this
Old 12-30-2021, 10:13 AM
flyjets
Burning Brakes

Received 216 Likes on 132 Posts

Start a search with these links.................

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...-failures.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...n-a-gt3-2.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...failure-4.html

This will get you going there are several more.

Best of Luck
PS Over the past 40 years of owning these cars there have always been some engine issues.
Old 12-30-2021, 02:15 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Start a search with these links.................

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...-failures.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...failure-4.html

This will get you going there are several more.

Best of Luck
PS Over the past 40 years of owning these cars there have always been some engine issues.
Thanks for sharing. . .that's not comforting, and maybe that explains the dealership's reluctance to simply replace a sensor, if they know something that I don't know about the code, and what they see, and know that my engine is just going to blow up. . .
I was hoping it was just a sensor issue, but that awful, grinding sound was VERY odd, and only on the left side of the engine. . . I didn't read where anyone mentioned the sounds that they heard before failure in those posts. . .
Old 12-30-2021, 02:26 PM
mipcar
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

When does your CPO run out? A 16RS in our group had a similar fault. No noise reported. Issue was the sensor.
Old 12-30-2021, 02:32 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mipcar
When does your CPO run out? A 16RS in our group had a similar fault. No noise reported. Issue was the sensor.
I've got about 11 months on the CPO. . .perhaps I should just ask them to replace the sensor: it's only a $100 item.. .
Old 12-30-2021, 04:12 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by WP0
I've got about 11 months on the CPO. . .perhaps I should just ask them to replace the sensor: it's only a $100 item.. .
Wait...they swapped sensors rather than just installing a new $100 part? That's moronic. I'd pay the $100 and tell them to replace the bad one. Even if I had to pay the labor too.
Old 12-30-2021, 04:18 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Wait...they swapped sensors rather than just installing a new $100 part? That's moronic. I'd pay the $100 and tell them to replace the bad one. Even if I had to pay the labor too.

Yes, I would have to agree that's moronic, but that seems to be par for most mechanics/car dealerships these days. I had problems with this dealer in the past, and took it to a respected independent mechanic, and the brake caliper comes loose after they work on it. This is warranty, so I take it to the local dealer, and they look at it, and just swap the sensor from one side to the other to see if the fault follows, which it either will, or the engine will blow up. . . at Sebring! So, buy a ticket to Sebring for Sunday, Jan 9 if you want to watch! . . when they could've just replaced the damn sensor. . .

Then they also want to charge me $400 for tightening the caliper nut on the caliper, which takes 10 minutes. . . I'm still waiting to hear back from the service manager. ..
Old 12-30-2021, 05:23 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

OK, so I'm breathing easier, and have more confidence in the local dealership: I just spoke with the service manager and the head technician.
The technician explained the fault as not being the misfire fault that's associated with the followers and consequent engine destruction, but it's a fault that seems to point to the electrical or mechanical camshaft actuators. PCNA policy book tells them to switch the electrical actuators to the other side to see if the fault follows, so they can determine if they need to replace the electrical or mechanical actuator. They say that the sensor almost never goes bad, in their experience.
They said this is how the CPO warranty works, but that they will replace the sensor on the fault side if I want them to do so, so I said, "YES!" replace the damn sensor on the fault side, and I'll pay out of pocket for that!
. . .and that's where things lie: if the fault occurs again, then I can simply reset the fault, and keep driving on the track, so it won't ruin my weekend!

So, in summary, the fault doesn't seem so bad, but the CPO warranty basically covers nothing, and if I want things done, I have to pay for it myself, kind of like a bad HMO health insurance.

Last edited by WP0; 12-30-2021 at 07:42 PM.
Old 12-30-2021, 06:57 PM
flyjets
Burning Brakes

Received 216 Likes on 132 Posts

WPO

Don't baby it when U get it back just o be sure. Keep it in Sport Plus and run it hard a track preferred B4 the CPO is over.

Chances R U will be just fine.

Ian
The following users liked this post:
Perimeter (12-30-2021)
Old 12-30-2021, 07:01 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
They swapped sensors to isolate the problem without introducing new variables like new parts.
This is a sound way to chase down problems and I like the fact that they are applying a systematic approach to failure investigation.

You seem to be jumping to a conclusion and your arm-chair "just replace it" tack may be premature

45rake (12-30-2021)
Old 12-30-2021, 07:47 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Perimeter
They swapped sensors to isolate the problem without introducing new variables like new parts.
This is a sound way to chase down problems and I like the fact that they are applying a systematic approach to failure investigation.

You seem to be jumping to a conclusion and your arm-chair "just replace it" tack may be premature
Just to clarify: the service manager told me that they swapped sensors; after I requested a detailed explanation, I had a call with the service mangager and the main technician, and it was the electrical camshaft actuators that were swapped, not the sensors. They think the problem is with either the mechanical or electrical camshaft actuator, and that the loud noise was poorly timed exhaust. They said that they have never had a problem with the camshaft sensor in these cars. . .but I'm asking them to replace it anyway, as that is still a possible cause of the fault, and I don't want the risk of a stall while driving on the track, and theoretically, this would decrease that risk by 33%, since the possible causes are 1. electrical camshaft actuator, 2. mechanical camshaft actuator, or 3. camshaft sensor.
Old 12-30-2021, 07:53 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

WPO

Don't baby it when U get it back just o be sure. Keep it in Sport Plus and run it hard a track preferred B4 the CPO is over.

Chances R U will be just fine.

Ian
No worries, I'm in the advanced driving group with the track days driving group here in FL. . .redline with every shift. . .full throttle until time for braking! Throttle steering around some of the faster turns. . .I drive on road tires, so I'm slower than many, but it's still great fun!
M&Abanker4life (12-31-2021)
Old 12-31-2021, 11:19 AM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Perimeter

Insofar as to whether the CPO-dealer-approved approach is sound or stupid, I suppose, depends on your perspective: from a scientific perspective, I would agree that trouble shooting part by part makes sense; however, in the real world, a methodical approach to trouble-shooting could lead to disastrous consequences, and would be considered quite stupid to try to save $2k in parts if it significantly increases the risk of possibly destroying a $200k vehicle and another $50k-500k in injuries, which, in this instance, you could argue that it does. . .

Last edited by WP0; 12-31-2021 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-31-2021, 02:12 PM
M&Abanker4life
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by WP0
Insofar as to whether the CPO-dealer-approved approach is sound or stupid, I suppose, depends on your perspective: from a scientific perspective, I would agree that trouble shooting part by part makes sense; however, in the real world, a methodical approach to trouble-shooting could lead to disastrous consequences, and would be considered quite stupid to try to save $2k in parts if it significantly increases the risk of possibly destroying a $200k vehicle and another $50k-500k in injuries, which, in this instance, you could argue that it does. . .
True but they are not solving for the motorsports scenario you are describing. Have fun out there. CPO will generally cover you if you have an issue, however, read the fine print. Tracked cars are not 100% covered in case of failures. Keep up the good relations with your dealer.

Quick Reply: CPO warranty repairs by dealer