Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommendation on diminished value expert?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2021, 10:35 AM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by atian2319
Do you mind telling me which adjuster you used back then, thank you
I'll need to dig that up, it has been sometime but I will look to see if I still have the contact info.
Old 11-22-2021, 10:38 AM
atian2319
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tgibrit
I'll need to dig that up, it has been sometime but I will look to see if I still have the contact info.
Really appreciate your help.
Old 11-23-2021, 10:23 AM
DIMINISHEDVALUE
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Get your car totaled with a diminished value appraisal

A car owner whose vehicle was badly damaged, and who prefers that their car be declared total losses, can present their Auto Diminished Value Appraisal prior to authorizing repairs. There is no case law or insurance regulation that prohibits doing this and, time and time again, it has convinced insurers to go along as it also benefits them.

Hypothetically, you already have a high-dollar initial estimate, there will likely be a supplement, they will have to pay for a rental car and/or Loss of Use and may also be liable for a $10,000+ diminished value payment. A Tesla owner suggested doing this a few years ago, it worked, so now I advise clients of this option as circumstances dictate. Give it a try. You have nothing to lose because even if the insurer stubbornly refuses to total the car, you can still pursue the diminished value claim. FYI, replacing a quarter panel renders this a structurally-repaired car and, as such, it will lose almost half of its pre-accident trade-in value.
Old 11-23-2021, 10:44 AM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by atian2319
Really appreciate your help.
I used Insurance Appraisal Services, 703-754-1857, in VA.but this was back in 2002. My insurance company was State Farm.
Old 11-23-2021, 10:47 AM
atian2319
Track Day

Originally Posted by tgibrit
I used Insurance Appraisal Services, 703-754-1857, in VA.but this was back in 2002. My insurance company was State Farm.
I will try to get in contact with them. Again thank you for the help.
Old 11-23-2021, 10:48 AM
atian2319
Track Day

Originally Posted by DIMINISHEDVALUE
A car owner whose vehicle was badly damaged, and who prefers that their car be declared total losses, can present their Auto Diminished Value Appraisal prior to authorizing repairs. There is no case law or insurance regulation that prohibits doing this and, time and time again, it has convinced insurers to go along as it also benefits them.

Hypothetically, you already have a high-dollar initial estimate, there will likely be a supplement, they will have to pay for a rental car and/or Loss of Use and may also be liable for a $10,000+ diminished value payment. A Tesla owner suggested doing this a few years ago, it worked, so now I advise clients of this option as circumstances dictate. Give it a try. You have nothing to lose because even if the insurer stubbornly refuses to total the car, you can still pursue the diminished value claim. FYI, replacing a quarter panel renders this a structurally-repaired car and, as such, it will lose almost half of its pre-accident trade-in value.
Makes sense to me, I will try and see if I can get an estimate report ahead and see if the insurance company will buy that.
Old 11-23-2021, 11:01 AM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 584 Likes on 326 Posts

That really blows...and another reminder that stop signs and stop lights are just there to mitigate the risks of crashes at intersections. My first rule is always to ignore them and worry about traversing the intersection without being involved in a crash on my own accord and then secondly to adhere to the local laws.
Old 11-23-2021, 11:22 AM
atian2319
Track Day

Originally Posted by usrodeo4
That really blows...and another reminder that stop signs and stop lights are just there to mitigate the risks of crashes at intersections. My first rule is always to ignore them and worry about traversing the intersection without being involved in a crash on my own accord and then secondly to adhere to the local laws.
That's what I always do, but this time she really got me. If she just run the stop sign without any hesitation, I will definitely let her go first. However, she slowed down first before arriving at the intersection, and because she got a stop sign, but I don't, so I just keep going. Then without coming to a complete stop and looking around she just back on the gas and hits me without even touching the brake. I think she might be distracted by her phone or something.
Old 01-30-2023, 09:42 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,168 Posts

So what happened?
Old 02-06-2023, 06:28 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

What state are you in ?

Many states have very specific laws to protect consumer.

My Experience in Florida was very good although I did have a knock down drag out fight with the insurance company.
BTW
Go after the person's insurance who hit you if the police report show liability.

Get appraisal
get lawyer who specializes in DV

good luck Elliot
Old 02-07-2023, 12:11 AM
josephvman
Racer

Received 260 Likes on 134 Posts

I just realized how old this thread it, and curious to see how it turned out too.

Last edited by josephvman; 02-07-2023 at 12:16 AM.
Old 04-09-2023, 08:46 AM
Sikh996tt
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by josephvman
I just realized how old this thread it, and curious to see how it turned out too.
Same here. Can someone also please recommend a DV attorney preferably in the Bay area. I have had some surgeries in the past 2 years not related to an accident after a 18 year old girl in a new Jeep side swiped my car. Have 4 months before the 3 year deadline is up. Thank you.

Brett
Old 04-09-2023, 09:01 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

Generally once you explain to the adjuster you are going after DV, they tend to shift toward total loss.

It’s of course more about minimizing their loss than ratios or percents.

Also salvage auctions have gotten really good at “fluffing” up wrecked cars to look better and bring better numbers.

Old 07-07-2023, 10:16 AM
Van Larson
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Ouch

Looking at pix, think a chat with best local PDR tech might be in order. Yes, respray but if panel can be saved if you keep…

Quick Reply: Recommendation on diminished value expert?