2015 GT3 To buy or not to buy

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2021, 02:07 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,465 Posts

Originally Posted by Franko T
"Porsche's Second Presentation: Understanding The Issue
Dr. Walliser ran this presentation. He explained the cause of the finger follower wear issue, and the steps Porsche has taken to resolve it... the issue is caused by a metallurgy defect (inclusion) close to the surface of the finger follower.
This first part sounds like researched information...

Most finger followers do not have these inclusions, or they are not close enough to the surface to cause increased finger follower wear. This explains why the vast majority of 991.1 GT3's do not, and most likely will never experience this problem."
This part sounds like optimistic speculation. If the defects in fact do exist in a large percentage of engines, low mileage and easy use would also explain why "the vast majority of 991.1 GT3's" have not (yet) experienced the problem.

If Porsche had been able to identify a specific production range of defective finger followers, there would not of been the blanket coverage of all .1 GT3s

Last edited by pfbz; 10-04-2021 at 02:09 AM.
Old 10-04-2021, 08:21 AM
itrsteve
Burning Brakes

Received 693 Likes on 385 Posts

Dr. Walliser ran this presentation. He explained the cause of the finger follower wear issue, and the steps Porsche has taken to resolve it. Without getting into a great amount of detail, which we are unqualified to do, the issue is caused by a metallurgy defect (inclusion) close to the surface of the finger follower. Most finger followers do not have these inclusions, or they are not close enough to the surface to cause increased finger follower wear. This explains why the vast majority of 991.1 GT3's do not, and most likely will never experience this problem."
Sounds like an answer of somebody trying to avoid a mass recall.

Bottom line, .1’s are great, the G6 replacement engines are great but the time to buy and drive them hard is right now.
The following users liked this post:
LagunaFanatic (10-05-2021)
Old 10-04-2021, 09:08 PM
Faster48
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a .1 and it’s at the dealer this week getting the engine replaced. I knew what it was the instant it first acted up. Think about this though, most cars will likely not exhibit any issues unless revved beyond 8K rpm. For that reason, many would never know, let alone experience the high rpm misfires and subsequent limp mode that the issue manifest as.

I researched the car significantly before buying it a few tears back. To me, the extended warranty made it an easy decision. Having said that, I also bought well before the current price craze
Old 10-04-2021, 09:27 PM
apax
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all for your replies. I was looking at some .2's today but they are way up there 200k+ So now I have to make the decision to pull the trigger on the .1 or just wait until / if the prices come down. What do you guys think this car should be selling at? 2015 8k CPO. Thanks again.
Old 10-05-2021, 09:12 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 307 Posts

On the west coast here 8K CPO dealer would be looking for $150K.
Old 10-05-2021, 10:29 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

Hennessy Porsche has a 991.2 GT3 185K.
Old 10-05-2021, 12:39 PM
Franko T
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
Hennessy Porsche has a 991.2 GT3 185K.
That car has been in accident, https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1135061

GT3 991.1 Benefits (MY OPNION)
- I think looks better
- 3.8L screams more high pitched
- Cheaper to buy
- Cheaper license tabs depending on state
The following users liked this post:
Airbag997 (01-19-2022)
Old 10-06-2021, 11:02 AM
DSC48
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by apax
Thanks to all for your replies. I was looking at some .2's today but they are way up there 200k+ So now I have to make the decision to pull the trigger on the .1 or just wait until / if the prices come down. What do you guys think this car should be selling at? 2015 8k CPO. Thanks again.
I'm on the East Coast and that would be 140s all day long, 150 with PCCB and/or Buckets.

I had the same dilemma; I bought in 12/20 just before things got crazy. But the price delta to a .2 is really the same now as it was (just bigger numbers on both). I went with the .1 as the overall cost is lower and it gives me no excuse to not drive the **** out of it for a few years. If I haven't popped the motor by then, I'll have a decision to make. I've put on 4500 miles this season and I rarely think about the cost or worry about the motor at this point; it's all smiles.

Good luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by DSC48:
apax (10-06-2021), itrsteve (10-06-2021)
Old 10-06-2021, 05:45 PM
Mthrice
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 73 Posts

Look for a .1 closer to 20k on the odometer. Should be a bit cheaper, and you will have sufficient time to pop the motor if it’s gonna go. Otherwise, just find a .1 with motor replaced with the G6 spec. An 8k mile car doesn’t have enough miles for the motor to let go unless your planning on putting a bunch of miles on it.
Old 10-06-2021, 05:50 PM
Franko T
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

Could it be the Mobile 1 is crap and doesn't protect? Could it be 5K mile oil changes are not being followed? Imagine your horror of not blowing your engine after trying so hard. lol

Originally Posted by Mthrice
Look for a .1 closer to 20k on the odometer. Should be a bit cheaper, and you will have sufficient time to pop the motor if it’s gonna go. Otherwise, just find a .1 with motor replaced with the G6 spec. An 8k mile car doesn’t have enough miles for the motor to let go unless your planning on putting a bunch of miles on it.
Old 10-07-2021, 11:37 AM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 240 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Mthrice
The engine in my .1 GT3 went at ~36k miles.
It now has a G6 engine
Old 10-07-2021, 12:10 PM
thuggo
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 227 Posts

Dr. Walliser ran this presentation. He explained the cause of the finger follower wear issue, and the steps Porsche has taken to resolve it. Without getting into a great amount of detail, which we are unqualified to do, the issue is caused by a metallurgy defect (inclusion) close to the surface of the finger follower. Most finger followers do not have these inclusions, or they are not close enough to the surface to cause increased finger follower wear. This explains why the vast majority of 991.1 GT3's do not, and most likely will never experience this problem."

And yet....there are people on their 2nd or 3rd engines.......
Old 10-07-2021, 05:08 PM
itrsteve
Burning Brakes

Received 693 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by thuggo
And yet....there are people on their 2nd or 3rd engines.......
Important to note, the early replacements, particularly with the 2014's and the lemon buybacks did not have the final G6 replacement.

There's one user on here who reported a failed G6 but it wasn't the finger follower issue but some anomaly bottom end issue.
Old 10-10-2021, 10:58 PM
apax
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just found a .1RS 50k over the 15.1 I was looking at. The RS is a cpo but not a well optioned car:
-PDLS-Bi-Xenon Headlights in Black incl. Porsche
-Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
-Fuel Cap with Aluminum Look Finish
-Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake (PCCB)
-Wheels Painted in Satin Black
-Smoking Package
-Floor Mats
-Sun Visors in Alcantara
-Door-Sill Guards in Carbon Fiber, Illuminated
-Pedals and Footrest in Aluminum
-Porsche Communication Management (PCM) incl.
-Navigation Module
-Sound Package Plus

Thoughts?
Old 10-10-2021, 11:34 PM
dsteding
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by apax
Just found a .1RS 50k over the 15.1 I was looking at. The RS is a cpo but not a well optioned car:
-PDLS-Bi-Xenon Headlights in Black incl. Porsche
-Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
-Fuel Cap with Aluminum Look Finish
-Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake (PCCB)
-Wheels Painted in Satin Black
-Smoking Package
-Floor Mats
-Sun Visors in Alcantara
-Door-Sill Guards in Carbon Fiber, Illuminated
-Pedals and Footrest in Aluminum
-Porsche Communication Management (PCM) incl.
-Navigation Module
-Sound Package Plus

Thoughts?
All depends on price. The three options I’d care about are:

FAL, even on a track car it is incredibly useful

Leather interior: I have a 2015 S with a standard interior, my 2016 GT3 has leather and the interior is way nicer-also the door cards on the leather interior reportedly don’t warp

Extended range tank: really handy at the track

the rain sensor is handy depending on climate, PCCBs are definitely a plus and this car has them, which is good.

it just all depends on price, but I’d think twice about the lack of FAL and the lack of leather interior.

Quick Reply: 2015 GT3 To buy or not to buy