Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 GT3 / RS Extended Warranties

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2021, 10:54 AM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,090 Likes on 591 Posts

It's most important that the warranty is exclusionary, not inclusionary. Inclusionary means they tell you what's covered. But the problem is the part you need isn't listed, esp if you have a PDK.

Exclusionary means they tell you what's NOT covered which are typically wear items. That's the Fidelity Platinum warranty. Or Porsche CPO. EDIT: I think the Porsche CPO covers some wear items.

Last edited by Upscale Audio; 11-16-2021 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-16-2021, 02:26 PM
VajazzleMcDilder
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by itrsteve
Not a chance in hell. Here's what I would do
1. Get that original engine out of there
2. Set $20k aside for a PDK replacement which you'll likely never need.
For better or for worse, the original engine is already out on mine for the revised engine. Plus the new one still has the warranty for the next fourish fivish years or so.

If I'm setting aside 20k for a new pdk, I'll shop around and see if I can find some reputable companies with warranties that don't exclude stuff like this, since it sounds like I'm out 20k either way.
Old 11-16-2021, 03:49 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VajazzleMcDilder
For better or for worse, the original engine is already out on mine for the revised engine. Plus the new one still has the warranty for the next fourish fivish years or so.

If I'm setting aside 20k for a new pdk, I'll shop around and see if I can find some reputable companies with warranties that don't exclude stuff like this, since it sounds like I'm out 20k either way.
If you look at this thread on repairing a PDK you will see the most common failures one of which is a shift rod sensor.

Guide to repairing a PDK

So it's not a matter of it being excluded, it's a matter of it being INCLUDED. If you have an inclusionary warranty, it most likely won't have all the weird new parts found in a PDK that are prone to failure.
Old 11-16-2021, 06:46 PM
VajazzleMcDilder
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
If you look at this thread on repairing a PDK you will see the most common failures one of which is a shift rod sensor.

Guide to repairing a PDK

So it's not a matter of it being excluded, it's a matter of it being INCLUDED. If you have an inclusionary warranty, it most likely won't have all the weird new parts found in a PDK that are prone to failure.
WOW is that a comprehensive thread! I'm gonna need a bit of time to absorb all 48 pages of it. It looks really detailed props to those that made it.

Welp, I found out why the extended warranty quoted was so expensive. Apparently the highest level policy (that's what's quoted) includes every thing that doesn't explicitly show on the exclude list. Here's a screenshot.

Never used this brand before.

Does anyone have any experience for this? At 20k per 3-4 years, I somehow doubt it, I might pioneer this in the name of research and sharing on Rennlist.
Old 02-16-2022, 06:55 PM
stilov
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Has anyone had any luck finding one that covers pdk? Porsche and fidelity are out.

I’ve looked and idealer, integrity, endurance… that all have some “semi auto, hydraulic clutch,” ambiguous language that I am sure they would claim exempts the pdk.

easycare wouldn’t even give me info unless I own the car (I have one getting a ppi right now)
Old 02-16-2022, 07:52 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stilov
Has anyone had any luck finding one that covers pdk? Porsche and fidelity are out.

I’ve looked and idealer, integrity, endurance… that all have some “semi auto, hydraulic clutch,” ambiguous language that I am sure they would claim exempts the pdk.

easycare wouldn’t even give me info unless I own the car (I have one getting a ppi right now)
Remember this: If they can find a reason not to cover it, they won't. Look at the wording for exclusion on a Fidelity Platinum warranty, and find something comparable.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 / RS Extended Warranties