Rennlist Member

Received 3,631 Likes on 2,357 Posts
Default Cobb announces Accessport support for 991.1 & 2 GT3's

no affiliation: https://www.cobbtuning.com/porsche-9...n=newsletter34
Old 07-30-2021, 02:10 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 178 Posts

Thanks for sharing....certainly will consider for my RS.
I've been impressed all around with a Cobb Accessport on my Raptor.
Old 07-30-2021, 02:15 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

yeah I had their ECU and PDK tune on my 991.1 GTS ... unfortunately its not yet available in Ca! (C.A.R.B certification)
Old 07-30-2021, 02:46 PM
Jickel180
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 240 Posts

Really impressive that they could get 500 whp from the .2 with a tune and race gas.

The .1 still makes ~435 whp with just a tune, but the biggest gains in midrange are the most felt. Curious if a set of headers would take the .1 over the 450 whp mark.
Old 07-30-2021, 03:02 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jickel180
Really impressive that they could get 500 whp from the .2 with a tune and race gas.

The .1 still makes ~435 whp with just a tune, but the biggest gains in midrange are the most felt. Curious if a set of headers would take the .1 over the 450 whp mark.
I'll probably pick one up when they will ship to Ca...
Old 07-30-2021, 11:28 PM
sdm100
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 115 Posts

Any issue with the .1 engine warranty?
Old 07-31-2021, 01:12 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Wow... the gains for the .2 cars are impressive if accurate. I wonder how reliability is affected.

With this device, can you switch between multiple maps (factory OEM vs modified) on the fly?
Old 07-31-2021, 01:38 PM
M&Abanker4life
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 101 Posts

Pros:
-On the fly map switching
-Flash at home solution
-Multiple maps
-Ability to do custom tunes
-OTS tunes generally pretty good (but these are only stage one)
-Typically have the ability to turn off CEL from catless exhaust etc
-PDK tuning
-Typically excellent support and updates from past experience with Cobb
-In other applications, AP flasher can be unmarried from your ECU if you decide to sell (e.g. selling car etc); with other flashes, you are typically stuck with the parts
-Good pricing vs. alternatives

Considerations:
-Degree of dealer visibility on the reflash (how easily is this detected)? This solution vs. M-Engineering ECU clone; this requires alot of dicussion because what if you purchase a vehicle that was previously flashed and dealer pulls warranty on you. Presumably there would be a time stamp and you could claim you didnt know if done prior to your ownership but not sure if that is enough to clear it with dealer. I suspect the ECU probe to ensure "clean bill of health and no reflashing" will be commonplace along with checking inginition/overrev history.
-Currently only at stage 1: timing of additional OTS maps for intake, headers (catted/catless) and other engine modifications
-Availability of pro-tuners in your area (or you can always go remote if you have a dyno around but no tuner)

Last edited by M&Abanker4life; 07-31-2021 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-31-2021, 01:54 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by M&Abanker4life
-Availability of pro-tuners in your area (or you can always go remote if you have a dyno around but no tuner)
This would only be if you want a custom tune for other aftermarket parts like headers, etc. right?
Old 07-31-2021, 01:57 PM
M&Abanker4life
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
This would only be if you want a custom tune for other aftermarket parts like headers, etc. right?
Correct - this is a flash at home solution which is the biggest benefit vs. alternatives
Old 07-31-2021, 01:58 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sdm100
Any issue with the .1 engine warranty?
same as any other ECU flash - (probably) voids

Wow... the gains for the .2 cars are impressive if accurate. I wonder how reliability is affected.

With this device, can you switch between multiple maps (factory OEM vs modified) on the fly?
not on the fly (like pressing sport button) but once you flash the Cobb f/w onto the ECU you can change the maps themselves easily (as I recall from my usage on the 991 GTS)

Pros:
-On the fly map switching
-Flash at home solution
-Multiple maps
-Ability to do custom tunes
-OTS tunes generally pretty good (but these are only stage one)
-Typically have the ability to turn off CEL from catless exhaust etc
-PDK tuning
-Typically excellent support and updates from past experience with Cobb
-In other applications, AP flasher can be unmarried from your ECU if you decide to sell (e.g. selling car etc); with other flashes, you are typically stuck with the parts
-Good pricing vs. alternatives

Considerations:
-Degree of dealer visibility on the reflash (how easily is this detected)? This solution vs. M-Engineering ECU clone; this requires alot of dicussion because what if you purchase a vehicle that was previously flashed and dealer pulls warranty on you. Presumably there would be a time stamp and you could claim you didnt know if done prior to your ownership but not sure if that is enough to clear it with dealer. I suspect the ECU probe to ensure "clean bill of health and no reflashing" will be commonplace along with checking inginition/overrev history.
-Currently only at stage 1: timing of additional OTS maps for intake, headers (catted/catless) and other engine modifications
I typically unflashed the Cobb from my ECU before I took the car in for service...

yes.
Old 07-31-2021, 02:10 PM
M&Abanker4life
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
same as any other ECU flash - (probably) voids
I typically unflashed the Cobb from my ECU before I took the car in for service...
Flash counter or other checksum (e.g. in some applications, operating hours are typically stored in multiple places in the car and need to match) is what I am worried about.
My question is if those things are obvious from the low level plug in a dealer does when you check in for say an oil change or regular service vs. a deeper inspection of the ECU that may be warranted during a warranty process (e.g. something much more catastrophic like engine or trans failure).
Old 07-31-2021, 02:29 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Flash counter or other checksum (e.g. in some applications, operating hours are typically stored in multiple places in the car and need to match) is what I am worried about.
My question is if those things are obvious from the low level plug in a dealer does when you check in for say an oil change or regular service vs. a deeper inspection of the ECU that may be warranted during a warranty process (e.g. something much more catastrophic like engine or trans failure).
That's why I uninstalled Cobb before going to dealer in case they reflashed it...

There probably is a total flash count somewhere but only con can answer your question definitively
Old 07-31-2021, 03:54 PM
TET GT3
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 107 Posts

Good to see this option finally available for our cars. At about 4x the price for the Accessport on my STI, there's certainly a Porsche tax added! Of course a much smaller market over which to spread the development costs.

Will be interesting to see reviews on the PDK tuning. The Cobb tuning for my Raptor didn't make a big difference for power, but the transmission tuning really improves the driveability.

Old 07-31-2021, 03:58 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TET GT3
Good to see this option finally available for our cars. At about 4x the price for the Accessport on my STI, there's certainly a Porsche tax added! Of course a much smaller market over which to spread the development costs.

Will be interesting to see reviews on the PDK tuning. The Cobb tuning for my Raptor didn't make a big difference for power, but the transmission tuning really improves the driveability.
I had the same experience with my 991.1 GTS PDK...

Quick Reply: Cobb announces Accessport support for 991.1 & 2 GT3's