Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for collective wisdom on buying a 991.1 GT3 (2015)

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 04:29 PM
BGA23
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by rohitgarewal
What we've agreed to in the purchase agreement is that I will do the PPI once I receive it, and they will cover the cost of any items that the PPI turns up.
A few things:

- I can guarantee this asset will provide you with a return, but not a financial one. You're almost sure to lose money on it but you will most definitely enjoy driving it and have a ton of fun. That's a return on your investment in my book.
- They sure didn't budge much on the price. They're asking $125K and you got it for $126K, including shipping, which is prob about $3k.
- I would definitely do the PPI BEOFRE (and I can't stress this enough) you take delivery. PPI stands for pre-purchase inspection, I advise you keep it this. Don't turn it into a post-purchase inspection. What if it turns up that the car had been in an accident and poorly repaired would you still want it? Or what if the PPI shows tires are getting close to needing to be replaced will the dealer cover the cost of this? Prob not b/c this doesn't need to be done today so you'll be on the hook for $2K in tires shortly.
Old 07-08-2021, 04:43 PM
rohitgarewal
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 9 Posts

Totally agree, I love cars, always have. Historically speaking my cars are toys to be enjoyed, not financial assets that invest it. I also try not to have deep emotional connections with anything a transient as a car - I can love the experience, but I want to be ok with walking away from a luxury item at any time.

Now with Turo, Im thinking of experimenting and turning a passion into a source of supplemental income. If I can figure out a way a turn my automobiles into a cost of goods sold in a business where the product is a rental, AND still enjoy the car, why not I can always buy more when I want one! Theres always risk that the business won't work out or that I won't have time to run it or that I can't find the right people, in that case, worst case scenario I have a fantastic car that I can thoroughly enjoy.

Last edited by rohitgarewal; 07-08-2021 at 04:46 PM.
Old 07-08-2021, 04:47 PM
rohitgarewal
Rennlist Member

"get a PPI beforehand."

Agreed, Ive got a call with the dealer in 10 minutes to negotiate this.

Last edited by rohitgarewal; 07-08-2021 at 04:50 PM.
Old 07-08-2021, 04:49 PM
rohitgarewal
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BGA23
A few things:

- I can guarantee this asset will provide you with a return, but not a financial one. You're almost sure to lose money on it but you will most definitely enjoy driving it and have a ton of fun. That's a return on your investment in my book.
- They sure didn't budge much on the price. They're asking $125K and you got it for $126K, including shipping, which is prob about $3k.
- I would definitely do the PPI BEOFRE (and I can't stress this enough) you take delivery. PPI stands for pre-purchase inspection, I advise you keep it this. Don't turn it into a post-purchase inspection. What if it turns up that the car had been in an accident and poorly repaired would you still want it? Or what if the PPI shows tires are getting close to needing to be replaced will the dealer cover the cost of this? Prob not b/c this doesn't need to be done today so you'll be on the hook for $2K in tires shortly.
No they wouldn't budge on price at all. This is the 'cheapest' 991.1 GT3 on car gurus and auto trader by a decent margin, in fact I thought there was something wrong with it. Turns out they bought it on auction, are still making money, and due to the high miles its turns a lot of people off. I plan to drive the heck out of the thing, and expect these engines to last well over 100K miles (especially with a warranty that goes through 2025). I was looking for a high mileage car so that I could get that discount.
Old 07-08-2021, 04:51 PM
rohitgarewal
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by robmypro
That is a lot of car for the money but doing a PPI would be the safest route imo.
Agreed. Being a Maserati dealership they said they've done the inspection and it turns out. They don't want the car to leave the lot to do an inspection somewhere else.
Old 07-08-2021, 06:44 PM
DarthBalls
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Looked at the car on their website, looks clean but pictures can be deceiving. But in this market it seems like a pretty reasonable price. Miles are a little higher than most, and it's missing some of the big ticket options (PCCB's, buckets) but this seems like a decent value if the car doesn't have any issues. But as others have noted, no way I'd spend that kind of money without a PPI first. But they are great cars, even for the higher amounts they are bringing vs. 12 months ago. Mine still brings a smile to my face every time I get in it.
Old 07-08-2021, 06:52 PM
BGA23
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by rohitgarewal
They don't want the car to leave the lot to do an inspection somewhere else.
I would say this is a red flag. Personally, I would pass unless they're willing to let you have a PPI done by a Porsche mechanic.
The following 2 users liked this post by BGA23:
Marv (07-13-2021), robmypro (07-09-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 07:07 PM
TET GT3
Racer

Received 186 Likes on 108 Posts

PPI is a must have. Never know what they might find in engine bay, suspension, or hiding behind bodywork. Miles are not really that high, but it only seems like it because we have fancy cars that are generally driven very little.

Price is decent with shipping included. Biggest concern for me would be that it's an east coast car, and something I've always avoided. I don't want anything from a place where it snows, although Florida is the number 1 place to avoid for used cars.
Old 07-08-2021, 07:36 PM
pjazz
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 141 Posts

Something to take a look at is the non leather door cards. On my 2015 the material started to lift near the center of the window. This is a know issue. I had my car with 20k for 7 months before my mechanic brought it to my attention.
Old 07-09-2021, 01:57 PM
rohitgarewal
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pjazz
Something to take a look at is the non leather door cards. On my 2015 the material started to lift near the center of the window. This is a know issue. I had my car with 20k for 7 months before my mechanic brought it to my attention.
Thanks!
Old 07-09-2021, 11:44 PM
BLKMamba
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 62 Posts

did you pull the trigger ?
Old 07-10-2021, 01:15 AM
slipaway37
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 113 Posts

Run away.
Old 07-10-2021, 08:49 AM
ToasterThief
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by slipaway37
Run away.
Agreed. So many red flags in these posts.
Old 07-10-2021, 12:31 PM
Manhattan_trout
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

No PPI from a Maserati dealership?? can’t have an independent expert come over to the dealership then?

The high mileage doesn’t necessarily concern me (mine has 41k miles and zero engine issues ever and looks stunning if I don’t say so myself - lol).

But the lack of major options will be an issue for resale since you also plan of putting it on Turo (truly terrible idea IMHO, lord only knows what completely unknown people are going to do your car, especially something as high performance and raw as a GT3. I don’t even let my wife come close to mine!)

Don’t know about price - I purchased my 2015 991 6 months ago (PTS with almost all major options - PCCB, FAL, full leather, PDLS, carbon fiber trim, sports chrono etc) with a much higher MSRP than this one at a considerably lower price from a private party with CPO remaining.

Perhaps that’s what the market is now where folks are paying full ask and waiving PPI. That usually ends very poorly…

The following users liked this post:
User 81423 (07-11-2021)
Old 07-10-2021, 02:01 PM
rohitgarewal
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BLKMamba
did you pull the trigger ?
No not yet. Actually talking to a fellow reenlister who lives near me about his car.

Quick Reply: Looking for collective wisdom on buying a 991.1 GT3 (2015)