Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you ever used a single-car enclosed transport to ship?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2021, 06:37 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,097 Likes on 595 Posts
Default Have you ever used a single-car enclosed transport to ship?

I have a car coming from Omaha to Los Angeles and Intercity and Reliable both quote $2k. For $2600 I can have it towed in a single-car trailer straight out.

The shipper is A1 auto transport and no doubt they are farming it out. But I figure if it's a straight shot and no ins/outs from the trailer that's a better move.

Opinion?
Old 06-02-2021, 08:56 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 112 Posts

I have a few times. Zero issues, direct, and arrived in perfect shape obviously.
Old 06-02-2021, 09:08 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 683 Likes on 409 Posts

Yes and I too have used A-1.
Old 06-02-2021, 09:55 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 237 Likes on 135 Posts

I had a horror story shipping a $300K car from Denver to Philly. Somewhere between Denver and Philly the trucking company farmed out my car to a single car carrier. I was never informed. The car didn't arrive on time and the buyer started calling me and the trucking company. I didn't have any contact information, etc etc. I found out later the single carrier had no insurance etc. Long story short I would never use a single carrier unless I knew the driver personally.

Old 06-02-2021, 10:25 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

I guess they don't have lifts but use some weird ramp? I don't know what better: Having your car on-loaded and off-loaded as cars come on and off a big trailer or taking chance on a small trailer. But I guess the small trailers are wide enough, and they are insured.

Did any of you see the cars getting loaded or unloaded?
Old 06-02-2021, 10:28 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 187 Posts

If you're going to use a single carrier, call your local exotic dealerships and ask for recommendations. I think you're more likely to get independent haulers this way. I've done this many times before and have gotten to speak with the actual drivers beforehand. It does cost more but it's worth it because it's exactly on your schedule and not at the mercy of the rest of the cars in a multi-car truck. Just make sure they have proper insurance coverage.

Last edited by bbs993tt; 06-02-2021 at 10:30 PM.
Old 06-02-2021, 10:37 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 491 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
I have a car coming from Omaha to Los Angeles and Intercity and Reliable both quote $2k. For $2600 I can have it towed in a single-car trailer straight out.

The shipper is A1 auto transport and no doubt they are farming it out. But I figure if it's a straight shot and no ins/outs from the trailer that's a better move.

Opinion?
I had my car delivered within state and it showed up in a single car carrier. TBH, they did a better job than any other of the 3 cars I've had shipped long distances. manually getting it out (not driving) the guy was very diligent
Old 06-02-2021, 11:41 PM
David Borden
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts

First, what kind of car and is it valuable? Regardless, be very careful. As others have suggested, if you can find a referral from a dealer and they have experience with the driver, you are probably good. If you go through a broker you have no idea what you are going to get and depending on the car, that can be very risky unless a good referral.

Reliable and Intercity are solid companies and the only two I am comfortable referring for more expensive vehicles.
Old 06-03-2021, 07:57 PM
NCPM
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I guess they don't have lifts but use some weird ramp? I don't know what better: Having your car on-loaded and off-loaded as cars come on and off a big trailer or taking chance on a small trailer. But I guess the small trailers are wide enough, and they are insured.

Did any of you see the cars getting loaded or unloaded?
Yes. The guy was very careful but the trailer is a bit tight. He had to exit the vehicle via the drivers window and inch his way out once the car was loaded. The ramp was very gradual so I do not think there would be any clearance issues with entry and exit of the vehicle but it may vary from carrier-to-carrier. See below.

Old 06-03-2021, 08:13 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NCPM
Yes. The guy was very careful but the trailer is a bit tight. He had to exit the vehicle via the drivers window and inch his way out once the car was loaded. The ramp was very gradual so I do not think there would be any clearance issues with entry and exit of the vehicle but it may vary from carrier-to-carrier. See below.

OH HELL NO!!!! Climbing out a window????

Single-car trailers often times have a side door that opens to let you get out. I've decided to not use a single car trailer this time as I cannot vet the shipper. I called a couple of local dealers and got a good local referral that is doing a Bentley tour as we speak that ends next week. After they drop off the Bentleys they'll swing by and grab my car and do a straight shot back here. Good news all the way around.
Old 06-03-2021, 09:01 PM
NCPM
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

OH HELL NO!!!! Climbing out a window????

Single-car trailers often times have a side door that opens to let you get out. I've decided to not use a single car trailer this time as I cannot vet the shipper. I called a couple of local dealers and got a good local referral that is doing a Bentley tour as we speak that ends next week. After they drop off the Bentleys they'll swing by and grab my car and do a straight shot back here. Good news all the way around.
Lol - yeah. The car was headed to the dealer on trade and it was their carrier.

Quick Reply: Have you ever used a single-car enclosed transport to ship?