Sponsored by:

My GT2RS PCCB brakes issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 07:54 AM
LSs1Power
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default My GT2RS PCCB brakes issue

My 991 GT2RS has 3500 miles (around 6000 km) now and i took it for the 2 years service, to my surprise Porsche Service came back telling me that i need to change my front and rear rotors and pads ($29k bill). I asked them why, they said its been torched from heat. Now i have done three track days since i bought the car and changed one sets of pads only after two track days at Bahrain International Circuit (Which is a heavy braking track) but i didnt expect my GT2RS PCCB to fail like this. I also have a manual 991.2 GT3 with steel brakes that i take to BIC and did over 20 track days with no brakes overheating issues. The second set of pads on the GT2RS has 60% life in it still.

Now to the BS part from Porsche, my brake pads on the fronts were replaced to MR pads while the rear ones had Porsche standard pads when i was doing my third track days as that what was available at the time in Bahrain. Porsche jumped on this saying warranty is voided because of the MR pads. When the service department sent them the report saying that the condition of the rear rotors are much worse than the front and it is not a result of the MR pads, Porsche jumped to BS number 2 which is track abuse. What track abuse, three flying laps and two cool down laps is what i do in the GT2RS. The good thing is that i had Jurgen from Autohaus with me during my track days and he spoke to them about how i do drive my cars and take care of them when it comes to cool down laps...etc. The final BS from Porsche was that it is a heat management issue that torched the brakes and that GT2RS shouldn’t be driven on tracks . They claim this is consumables and expected to be changed, i agree but not after 3000 miles and three track days. I agree it should be changed if PCCB ran out of material and pads are low, not torched from poor heat management and have over 60% pad life. To say im disappointed is an understatement, my steel on GT3 and Ceramics on my Ferrari never did this and I'm the same driver.

Things i learned from this, 1. MR is not accepted by Porsche warranty. 2. GT2RS has brake cooling issues that cant cope with tracks that require heavy braking such as BIC. 3. Porsche will do anything to get out of a warranty claim from either a defective rotors or brake ducts design or something else.

I was about to order a 992 GT3 manual on and do a full MR build in June for my GT2RS, i canceled both after this and it is safe to say i will never buy anything with PCCB from Porsche again.

If anyone knows a contact in Germany or Wiessach that i can contact, please PM so i can speak to them about this as well.

Old 04-12-2021, 09:14 AM
hsb1001
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

https://www.rebrake.de/

Old 04-12-2021, 09:48 AM
M3the01
Burning Brakes

Received 225 Likes on 163 Posts

They do look really bad, 3 days seems strange, I've heard 30-40 days. Switching pads out before 50% is key, cool down laps, etc. MR pads are fine with porsche warranty, get mantheys help.

I switched mine out to surface transforms, so oem is fresh in boxes. U can grab oem for like $10-13k complete, don't buy through porsche as they are too expensive.

That said, something is up. They don't believe ur three track days. Based on the pics, they look abused, figure out what's causing it. Can u run through the miles and highspeed braking zones on that track for us not familiar.
The following users liked this post:
CX_GT3 (04-18-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 12:35 PM
Rick GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

better replace the disc for steels with proper pad selection if you keep using you GT2RS in the track.
Old 04-12-2021, 01:04 PM
M3the01
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rick GT3
better replace the disc for steels with proper pad selection if you keep using you GT2RS in the track.
Many people using PCCBs on the track and no issues... if your doing a lot of track days, something a bit more cost effective is needed, PFC, etc.
Old 04-12-2021, 01:53 PM
IPSA
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 100 Posts

This is an old story.

Bottom line PCCB's are great on the track until they are not. Like all systems they need to be replaced and are in fact a consumable. Any Porsche factory driver, PEC driver and even Yoda himself, AP, the head of street cars at Porsche Motorsport , have all said if you plan on regularly tracking your car iron brakes is the way to go unless $ is no object.

There are any possible reasons for the " premature wear " but they really don't matter. Seems your driving style in this car is hard on PCCB's and you either budget for that or go with any of the recognized more financially efficient options.

I stopped getting PCCB's 2 RS's ago for this very reason, I am just fine with factory iron braces and a good ferodo pad.

I fought Porsche 5 years go on this issue and it was a waste of time. I learned my lesson, adapted and moved on. The cars are far too good to abandon, just alter your brake options and ENJOY...

Look at AP drop in iron rotors and proper pads or their Radical brake system option.

Look at Giro Disk and a recognized track pad from Ferodo , PFC , Pagid or other usual suspect.

Cheers
The following 6 users liked this post by IPSA:
Apex Ace (04-12-2021), CX_GT3 (04-18-2021), LZRD GRN (04-12-2021), Rick GT3 (04-12-2021), SmokinGTS (03-05-2022), usrodeo4 (04-12-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-12-2021, 02:42 PM
M3the01
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by IPSA
This is an old story.

Bottom line PCCB's are great on the track until they are not. Like all systems they need to be replaced and are in fact a consumable. Any Porsche factory driver, PEC driver and even Yoda himself, AP, the head of street cars at Porsche Motorsport , have all said if you plan on regularly tracking your car iron brakes is the way to go unless $ is no object.

There are any possible reasons for the " premature wear " but they really don't matter. Seems your driving style in this car is hard on PCCB's and you either budget for that or go with any of the recognized more financially efficient options.

I stopped getting PCCB's 2 RS's ago for this very reason, I am just fine with factory iron braces and a good ferodo pad.

I fought Porsche 5 years go on this issue and it was a waste of time. I learned my lesson, adapted and moved on. The cars are far too good to abandon, just alter your brake options and ENJOY...

Look at AP drop in iron rotors and proper pads or their Radical brake system option.

Look at Giro Disk and a recognized track pad from Ferodo , PFC , Pagid or other usual suspect.

Cheers

All really good advice... one note, latest gen carbon ceramics from porsche, and others, are a lot more friendly to repeated tracking. What use to kill them in 10 track days is up to 30-40 which is impressive and for those that dont track often perfect.
Old 04-12-2021, 03:13 PM
LSs1Power
Racer

BIC is a F1 grade track and is known to be hard on tires and brakes. The issue here is not PCCB condition in terms of weight or brake pads, the issue is poor heat management that caused everything to charcoal. It seems like BIC found the limit of a GT2RS braking system.

You can see a typical lap around BIC here in my GT2RS

The following 2 users liked this post by LSs1Power:
ddugas01 (04-15-2021), usrodeo4 (04-12-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 03:32 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,743 Likes on 2,703 Posts

Originally Posted by LSs1Power
I was about to order a 992 GT3 manual on and do a full MR build in June for my GT2RS, i canceled both after this and it is safe to say i will never buy anything with PCCB from Porsche again.
Don't cancel your 992 GT3 order just yet - just avoid PCCB if you have strong feeling there. With the new larger iron rotor setup (408mm fronts now), you should be fine with the stock brakes (feel free to upgrade pads and fluid - much better selection with Iron than PCCB). Also with 200hp less power and less weight, there will be less thermal energy to dissipate than in the 2RS.

If you decide you need carbon-ceramics, maybe consider something like Surface Transforms instead of PCCB (less expensive and reportedly more resilient and better performing).

Last edited by GrantG; 04-12-2021 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-12-2021, 03:37 PM
LSs1Power
Racer

Originally Posted by GrantG
Don't cancel your 992 GT3 order just yet - just avoid PCCB if you have strong feeling there. With the new larger iron rotor setup (408mm fronts now), you should be fine with the stock brakes (feel free to upgrade pads and fluid - much better selection with Iron than PCCB). Also with 200hp less power and less weight, there will be less thermal energy to dissipate than in the 2RS.

If you decide you need carbon-ceramics, maybe consider something like Surface Transforms instead of PCCB (less expensive and reportedly more resilient and better performing).

I’m upset with the way they handled this, trying to find an excuse to get out of it.
Old 04-12-2021, 04:14 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Banned

Received 918 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by LSs1Power
The issue here is not PCCB condition in terms of weight or brake pads, the issue is poor heat management that caused everything to charcoal
The characteristic of PCCB rotors is that it repels heat, instead of absorbing the heat and venting out the heat through cooling vanes like steel rotors do. So all that heat has to go somewhere else.
Porsche Club of America recently posted a one hour long video on their youtube channel interviewing a braking system design engineer where he talked about that in detail.

Last edited by Tom@TPC Racing; 04-13-2021 at 09:37 AM.
Old 04-12-2021, 04:14 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 326 Posts

Carbon ceramic brakes are only racing speed track worthy if you have someone else paying for the maintenance/upkeep, other then that, as others have said, go with a different option. Good Luck and cool that you got to run your GT2 at BIC.
Old 04-12-2021, 04:33 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,084 Likes on 621 Posts

I hate threads like this. OP - I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

I've had my own go rounds with PCCB and will never own them again. It's too much of a liability and frankly unpredictable. At least with iron brakes I understand what I'm dealing with. It's too bad as I like the feel of the PCCB and the lack of dust. But it's not worth it especially for folks like me that track the cars with any regularity.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:54 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

PCCB are not a good option for track use. Most take them off the cars as soon as they do a track prep. If you want to stay with Ceramics look at Surface transforms , they are designed for track use. i have used them for years and they are incredible....still much cheaper option than PCCB.

https://surfacetransforms.com/

Apex Ace (04-12-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 07:01 PM
hsb1001
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by malmasri
PCCB are not a good option for track use. Most take them off the cars as soon as they do a track prep. If you want to stay with Ceramics look at Surface transforms , they are designed for track use. i have used them for years and they are incredible....still much cheaper option than PCCB.

https://surfacetransforms.com/
Disagree, most folks get 60+ track days on PCCB's before even worrying about them, I had a whole year on OEM PCCB's on my .1 RS with 3 swaps of pads when down half way and perfect all round.

Old wives tales of PCCB's from 997 era as they were toast when pushing them, they have evolved an allot of folks refurb them as per rebrake.de. However, ST Rotors are amazing and I would go for those or a set of AP calipers / discs etc just to stay more comfortable if needed.
Perimeter (04-12-2021)

Quick Reply: My GT2RS PCCB brakes issue