Sponsored by:

Stuck Throttle

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2021, 10:25 PM
NCPM
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Stuck Throttle

I had the oil changed on my 2018 GT3 at the local Porsche dealer in addition to their normal inspection a few days ago. Everything looked good. I drove the car quite a bit yesterday without any issue. Went to a Easter lunch today and as I was pulling away I shift from 1st to 2nd and as I push in the clutch and raise my foot off of the throttle I could feel and see via the tachometer that the throttle appeared to be "stuck". I stab at the pedal with my foot in an attempt to "unstick" it but it just revs slightly higher to about 4000-5000 RPM and stays there. Note that this all happened within a few seconds, the clutch was engaged the entire time and my foot was completely off the gas pedal. I came to a stop and switched the ignition off, restarted the car and cautiously proceeded to drive home without issue. Once I arrived home I did a visual inspection of the gas pedal assembly and there doesn't appear to be anything that was physically causing the issue and the floor mat is secured.

I plan to call the dealer tomorrow to let them know but was wondering if anyone on the forum had ever experienced something similar. Problems that randomly appear often re-appear. I was at a slow rate of speed and relatively low RPM when this occurred but I am concerned should this happen under different circumstances such as highway speeds in congested traffic. The only thing that "fixed" it was shutting off the car which may not be an option should it reoccur again.

Any thoughts or feedback is appreciated.
Old 04-05-2021, 12:38 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

The throttle is drive by wire, so not like an old car with a throttle cable. It could be an issue with the gas pedal sender or the throttle body. I would pull the floor mat out and just check the pedal for full movement.An OBD reader can read the throttle position.
The following users liked this post:
Larry Cable (05-23-2023)
Old 04-05-2021, 01:21 AM
NCPM
Rennlist Member

I appreciate the reply. I did pull the floor mat out and checked for anything that may have cause the pedal to stick. It all seemed fine. Weird. I'll post a reply once I talk to the dealer. Thanks again.
Old 04-05-2021, 11:47 AM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 326 Posts

Yes drive by wire so may be a switching sensor issue...Reminds me of when I was a kid and bought a used '70 Mustang Mach I w/351 Cleveland 4 barrel with 4 speed top loader...it was for the day a very fast car. One of the first nights I owned her I had all my buds in her with me and we went out to race another friend's dodge charger 383 on our marked 1/4 mile. I had him beat pretty well and at the end of our marked 1/4 mile there was a gentle turn that was not a big issue, just let off and you could make the sweeping turn if you were paying attention. But when I let off I discovered the throttle was stuck wide open...after quickly digesting my options I calmly reached up and turned the key off to kill the engine...but being my first car with the old locking steering wheel I did not realized when you turned the steering wheel it would lock in place, so in the middle of the corner at around 100 mph my steering wheel locked. At that point all I could do was stand on the brakes. We ended up doing a 180 degree slide an came to rest off the road about 3 feet from a row of pine trees. Quite the wild ride, but no harm no foul. I finally traced my problem to a broken motor mount bolt.
Old 04-05-2021, 03:01 PM
Deven
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 101 Posts

In Sport mode, the car 'blips' to 4000-5000 for a second or two in anticipation of a down shift. I was initially worried that something was wrong the first time I was driving in sports mode, until I actually read the manual and realized this was a feature to help rev match. The tach literally goes to 4-5K in a micro second, and sits there waiting for the downshift (for a couple of seconds).

Any chance that was what was happening?
Old 04-05-2021, 04:13 PM
NCPM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Deven
In Sport mode, the car 'blips' to 4000-5000 for a second or two in anticipation of a down shift. I was initially worried that something was wrong the first time I was driving in sports mode, until I actually read the manual and realized this was a feature to help rev match. The tach literally goes to 4-5K in a micro second, and sits there waiting for the downshift (for a couple of seconds).

Any chance that was what was happening?
The car was not in sport mode and I was upshifting from 1st to 2nd.
Old 04-05-2021, 04:17 PM
NCPM
Rennlist Member

The dealer checked it out and could not find anything wrong. No fault codes were logged and nothing that appeared to be wrong with the throttle pedal. Strange occurrence but at least its documented should it occur again.

Thanks to all of those who replied
Old 04-06-2021, 12:26 AM
Chris88
Burning Brakes

Received 225 Likes on 127 Posts

I've had a similar experience with my GT3 a couple of times when the engine was cold. I don't believe it went to that high of an RPM. It's been quite a while since the last time it's done it. I concluded it was cold engine thing and never asked about it at my dealer.
Old 05-23-2023, 10:17 AM
BoxsterMan2015
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Drive by wire.

Originally Posted by NCPM
I had the oil changed on my 2018 GT3 at the local Porsche dealer in addition to their normal inspection a few days ago. Everything looked good. I drove the car quite a bit yesterday without any issue. Went to a Easter lunch today and as I was pulling away I shift from 1st to 2nd and as I push in the clutch and raise my foot off of the throttle I could feel and see via the tachometer that the throttle appeared to be "stuck". I stab at the pedal with my foot in an attempt to "unstick" it but it just revs slightly higher to about 4000-5000 RPM and stays there. Note that this all happened within a few seconds, the clutch was engaged the entire time and my foot was completely off the gas pedal. I came to a stop and switched the ignition off, restarted the car and cautiously proceeded to drive home without issue. Once I arrived home I did a visual inspection of the gas pedal assembly and there doesn't appear to be anything that was physically causing the issue and the floor mat is secured.

I plan to call the dealer tomorrow to let them know but was wondering if anyone on the forum had ever experienced something similar. Problems that randomly appear often re-appear. I was at a slow rate of speed and relatively low RPM when this occurred but I am concerned should this happen under different circumstances such as highway speeds in congested traffic. The only thing that "fixed" it was shutting off the car which may not be an option should it reoccur again.

Any thoughts or feedback is appreciated.
Yes, I also have experienced this and my vehicle is in pristine condition. My air intake was blocked but, I have nothing else to add. Drive safely.
Old 05-23-2023, 02:41 PM
Ascetic
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Try toggling sport on and off. Does that work? I had a problem where no lift shift stopped working, and hitting the sport button caused a 'Sport not available' error. I kept toggling it, and the gremlins worked themselves out.
Old 05-23-2023, 04:40 PM
NCPM
Rennlist Member

I appreciate the replies and suggestions. It only occurred that one time and its been fine ever since.

Quick Reply: Stuck Throttle