Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3RS Complete Engine Failure & PCNA Response

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2021, 12:20 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 854 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by jcannon
991.1 simply a better motor than 991.2 .
You can't just state that without stating why you think that (facts etc) .. I don't have a horse in the race but seemingly 99% of people on this board would disagree. I would be intrigued as to why you fall into the 1% camp.
Old 03-15-2021, 12:39 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

At some point owners will be on their own without warranty. The engine will either prove reliably fixable, at whatever cost, or it won’t. The idea of “design flaw” didn’t enter the 911 discussion over the decades when failing case studs, chain tensioners, air boxes, and sand castings were part and parcel of 911 “evolution”. Improvements were made and many were retrofittable to earlier units. This has allowed many 911s to remain in reliable service. The only truly troubling trend, IMHO, is the modern solution to replace, rather than repair, entire engines and transmissions. That will not prove practical for long term ownership and will doom many cars to the junkyard prematurely. I commend all the efforts to tear down the engine and seek solutions for repair.
The following 3 users liked this post by djcxxx:
Booth9999 (03-16-2021), oliver991 (03-15-2021), rodsky (03-15-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 01:38 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,503 Likes on 963 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil Harvey
Like I stated, all can do is to show what I have seen. But each engine had 100% the same failure. No rant here from me. Just photographic facts. Make of that as you wish. As for lash caps coming off, that should NEVER happen. Something is wrong if this happens.

I come from the Motorsports world and those engines ran a lot more RPM and never had lash cap issues. I come from the world where when something breaks or is wrong I fix it. In motorsport, you never left anything to chance. 1 failure was 1 failure too many.

My sarcastic mind thinks here, you are stuck on the side of the road late one rainy night and you turn to your passenger and say. statistically this should not have happened".
Who drives their GT3 in the rain? Lol

That said, these engines are Motorsport derived, as in RSR and Cup car. What percentage have failed and had they been maintained properly? So many other possibilities aside from a design flaw here. If it’s 0.4% have failed or some other very low qty, that is not a design flaw IMHO.

And as far as blaming it on quick shifts of PDK? C’mon, the GTS and Turbo S shift damn near as quick, probably small number of microseconds delta.
Old 03-15-2021, 02:16 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Some states have a statutory letter you must send to make a diminished value property damage claim.
I would check on-line or with a DV PD attorney in your state area to find out.
The following users liked this post:
oliver991 (03-15-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 03:08 PM
bsquare
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by chance6

That said, these engines are Motorsport derived, as in RSR and Cup car. What percentage have failed and had they been maintained properly? So many other possibilities aside from a design flaw here. If it’s 0.4% have failed or some other very low qty, that is not a design flaw IMHO.

And as far as blaming it on quick shifts of PDK? C’mon, the GTS and Turbo S shift damn near as quick, probably small number of microseconds delta.
I have winters on my RS and drive it in the snow. They aren't fragile museum pieces, they are meant to be driven.

The 991.1 GT3 Cup motor was a Mezger, not the motor in the production GT3.

The GT cars shift faster and harder than the non-GT cars. You can reflash the PDK in the non-GT cars to get them closer, but stock they are not close, in my experience.

Last edited by bsquare; 03-15-2021 at 03:14 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by bsquare:
Daggie (03-30-2021), oliver991 (03-15-2021), Robb M. (03-27-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 03:37 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 584 Likes on 326 Posts

Does anyone know what valve train differences the cup car engines run or the RSR cars? Perhaps you could contact Porsche Motorsports USA to see if they run different valve train (valve lash adjusters?) components....just a thought. I feel your pain but I don't really see a good legal remedy for you, as they did give you a new engine. Perhaps if you get an attorney to send a letter requesting the longer warranty PCNA may compromise.
oliver991 (03-15-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 08:38 PM
exit87
Advanced

Received 58 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by djcxxx
At some point owners will be on their own without warranty. The engine will either prove reliably fixable, at whatever cost, or it won’t. The idea of “design flaw” didn’t enter the 911 discussion over the decades when failing case studs, chain tensioners, air boxes, and sand castings were part and parcel of 911 “evolution”. Improvements were made and many were retrofittable to earlier units. This has allowed many 911s to remain in reliable service. The only truly troubling trend, IMHO, is the modern solution to replace, rather than repair, entire engines and transmissions. That will not prove practical for long term ownership and will doom many cars to the junkyard prematurely. I commend all the efforts to tear down the engine and seek solutions for repair.
What is the protocol for other cars from other manufacturers in this echelon at this time? Does anyone know? What does McLaren do, do they just replace engines under warranty or are the engines repaired at the dealer... As a warranty item I can see Porsche (for example) handling this by having a GT engine swapped out so that they can more quickly address issue (happy owner, unless it’s the OP person here) receive it back and they can dissect / diagnose issues then be proactive in future versions. Could also lead to them fixing or rebuilding cores then inventory those to just engine swap again as needed down the road. More realistically Dealers can be experts at engine swapping , fully trainable service cut and dry and then let the factory really dig into the random issues. I would assume most car manufacturers at this point in this echelon follow this course while the warranty is active. Down the road I’m sure these engines are repairable when needed post warranty when it becomes the new norm of getting them back on the road. As mentioned independent repair shops won’t really know yet because they are not tapped yet for the most part to handle.
Old 03-16-2021, 12:51 AM
chance6
Race Car

Originally Posted by bsquare
I have winters on my RS and drive it in the snow. They aren't fragile museum pieces, they are meant to be driven.

The 991.1 GT3 Cup motor was a Mezger, not the motor in the production GT3.

The GT cars shift faster and harder than the non-GT cars. You can reflash the PDK in the non-GT cars to get them closer, but stock they are not close, in my experience.
In snow less than 2 inches, sure. Who said anything about the 991.1 GT3 ?
I agree the GT cars shift from gear to gear faster than say a C2S, but I'd like to see what the actual difference is, because if in Sport mode in a C2S or GTS, I don't think it's much at all.
Old 03-16-2021, 12:56 AM
bsquare
Instructor

Last edited by bsquare; 03-16-2021 at 12:57 AM.
Old 03-16-2021, 12:56 AM
bsquare
Instructor

In snow less than 2 inches, sure. Who said anything about the 991.1 GT3 ?
I agree the GT cars shift from gear to gear faster than say a C2S, but I'd like to see what the actual difference is, because if in Sport mode in a C2S or GTS, I don't think it's much at all.
Keep on moving those goalposts, champ. You'll score eventually.
The following 3 users liked this post by bsquare:
Booth9999 (03-16-2021), chance6 (03-17-2021), oliver991 (03-16-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 05:43 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,658 Likes on 923 Posts

I’m all for enjoying these cars for as many miles as I possibly can but I disagree about snow/rain comment. If you ever kept a car long enough and spend some time under the car, you will know regardless of make/model, they will all start developing rust beginning with bolts and nuts and then things like suspension components and differential mount points. To each his own but the rust is disgusting and it bothers me. Salt makes this much worse. Once water starts getting into places that cannot dry easily, you are done. I dont care top of the car getting wet. You can wash/polish water spots no problem. But you cant do the same to the underside.
Old 03-16-2021, 11:58 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 413 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
You have assumed wrongly on both counts. I have a 991.2 GT3. The owners manual only offered explicit track warranty on the 2014 model year GT3 and not later years. All later years specifically state that track driving is not covered by warranty (but it is commonly covered anyway under dealer goodwill or looking the other way).
You sure? My 2015 was taken to the dealer after being at the track, with rubber marks still on it, and the comment from the SA was it's great Porsche warranties these after track use.
oliver991 (03-16-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 12:21 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,018 Likes on 2,838 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
You sure? My 2015 was taken to the dealer after being at the track, with rubber marks still on it, and the comment from the SA was it's great Porsche warranties these after track use.
They do it, but it’s discretionary. Not legally required. Read your manual’s warranty exclusions...
Old 03-17-2021, 12:42 AM
chance6
Race Car

Still looking for your data...

Sincerely,

The Champ
Old 03-17-2021, 12:44 AM
chance6
Race Car

You aren't following the point of my post.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3RS Complete Engine Failure & PCNA Response