Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do dealers sell cars with missing accessories.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2020, 02:15 PM
pjazz
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Why do dealers sell cars with missing accessories.

Ok so I admit I can't afford to buy new so I usually buy my cars a few years older but with the options I want. One of my pet peeves is buying a used car with only one key fob. My new to me 2015 GT3 comes with only one FOB and no user manual other than that it's well equipped and I feel I got a great deal. What annoys me is I found a complete set of user manuals and guides on Ebay for $225. My theory is the people at Dealer or auction house are pilfering these items then selling them on Ebay.

Of course It also could be just the previous owners just forgetting to include this stuff with the sale. Wondering what most include when they sale there car? Oh one more thing I'm missing is the remote for a K40 radar.
Old 12-11-2020, 02:52 PM
kevrenmorland
AutoX

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I have seen the same thing. Last year I bought a car and it was missing its manuals and floor mats, and I too found them on Ebay for an absurd price. I looked at the sellers other items, and they were all floor mats and manuals from different cars. My GT3RS came to me this year without its mats, and I found them on ebay. as well. My guess is that the techs that take the car in once you trade them in are making some side cash.
Old 12-11-2020, 03:08 PM
pjazz
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by kevrenmorland
I have seen the same thing. Last year I bought a car and it was missing its manuals and floor mats, and I too found them on Ebay for an absurd price. I looked at the sellers other items, and they were all floor mats and manuals from different cars. My GT3RS came to me this year without its mats, and I found them on ebay. as well. My guess is that the techs that take the car in once you trade them in are making some side cash.
A 200k car with no floor mats. That's just wrong.
Old 12-11-2020, 03:20 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

They sell what they have and hope for someone to buy no questions asked. Dealers live by the adage that a sucker is born every minute.
Old 12-11-2020, 05:48 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Before we get into the stereotype of "slimy used car dealers", there can be multiple completely innocent reasons why used cars have missing accessories. Chief among them is that the previous owner did not turn them in when they traded/sold the car to the dealer and the accepting dealer didn't realize it. True to both the dealer who accepted the trade and the second hand buyer is the adage "buyer beware".

When I picked up my current 2018 GT3, I made sure all the accessories were with the car, It was CPO, low miles at 1500, and had dealer assurances on top of that, but I checked anyway. Found out that there was only one key fob. Told them all GT3's come with 2 key fobs, all high end cars in fact do, and they agreed. They ordered one from Germany, had me bring the car in for a quick synch between the car and the 2 key fobs, and done. I am absolutely certain that if I found anything else missing, they would have replaced it for free.
Old 12-11-2020, 06:18 PM
kaylie
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 103 Posts

When I bought my gt3 it did not have a manual. The dealer ordered one and shipped it to me. When I sold that car, I didn’t bring the manual with me but later shipped it to the dealer who bought my car.

when I bought my wp gt3rs, it did not have carbon fiber steering wheel trim or k40 remote. The dealer installed the trim for me and shipped me the remote weeks later.

when I bought my gt2rs, it did not come with the helmet case. My dealer ordered one and shipped it to me.

I guess you just have to ask and they’re usually willing to do it. Missing a key is another thing. I’ve been pretty happy with my sales experiences.

Last edited by kaylie; 12-11-2020 at 06:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
fijibubba (12-16-2020)
Old 12-11-2020, 06:23 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

^^ Spot on, car gets traded in and you buy “as is” .........the trade in guy will not usually look for all items. They typically ask for the 2nd key, and if you don’t get the 2nd key request and they will order one along with mats. Ask for all their things before leaving, and the dealer will add. I think is clearly accidental. I bought a used Spyder the previous owner left the car cover and winter mats pretty cool, and I typically do the same.
Old 12-11-2020, 06:25 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

I traded in two P Car's in last 7 years. They told me upfront that my trade in price was to be reduced if I did not present the manuals and both key's. Since I had them, I never asked the penalty price reductions for not returning but somehow I think it would have been costly.
Old 12-11-2020, 06:45 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 685 Likes on 411 Posts

Valid questions....and details matter for most car enthusiasts, Ultimately it is up to the buyer to ensure one knows what they are getting, including the accessories. Nevertheless, it has been my experience that the small details can reveal other items of greater importance. Sure it isn't uncommon for cars to be traded without X or Y, but many ask for both keys, floor mats and manuals, etc. The premier dealers understand this too and know its a requirement for their regulars. Not always, but as one moves down the supply chain of auto resellers, I find so too can the details be missed.
Old 12-11-2020, 08:16 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 547 Posts

Originally Posted by pjazz
Ok so I admit I can't afford to buy new so I usually buy my cars a few years older but with the options I want. One of my pet peeves is buying a used car with only one key fob. My new to me 2015 GT3 comes with only one FOB and no user manual other than that it's well equipped and I feel I got a great deal. What annoys me is I found a complete set of user manuals and guides on Ebay for $225. My theory is the people at Dealer or auction house are pilfering these items then selling them on Ebay.

Of course It also could be just the previous owners just forgetting to include this stuff with the sale. Wondering what most include when they sale there car? Oh one more thing I'm missing is the remote for a K40 radar.
I may have an extra set of manuals from my crashed Lava 2018. I'll check as soon as I get out of my lockdown. If I have them Merry Christmas.
Old 12-11-2020, 08:30 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

It’s not new. It’s used as is. It’s up to the buyer to do their due diligence. I traded my ‘15 GT3 with one fob because I lost the other. Dealer never asked for the other one. Likely was sold without it. Just like buyers the dealer looks over the small details sometimes.

Question: Would not having the accessories impact you purchasing the car? Likely not.....

Last edited by shapiroeric; 12-11-2020 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-11-2020, 08:43 PM
flyjets
Burning Brakes

Received 216 Likes on 132 Posts

When you buy the car you ask the right questions. What you should have done is negotiate the 2nd FOB and manual or get a price reduction.
These GT3 and RS are not rare cars.

Caveat emptor

Ian
Old 12-11-2020, 08:57 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 806 Likes on 453 Posts

^^^ that is exactly what I did with my Audi and my Porsche I got used. I asked for the missing items to be added, or a deduction equal the amount to be given. Magically, in both cases, the items materialized. With the Audi, the dealer got them factory direct. With my Porsche, the previous owner was hassled and interestingly gave them up!
Old 12-11-2020, 09:32 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Maybe I’m in the minority here, but it seems silly to buy a $100k+ used car, say you got a great deal then complain about a few missing accessories worth a few hundred bucks.
Old 12-15-2020, 05:36 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

What generally happens is if they are auction cars they pull all the goodies out, and keep them.

Car lots pull all the goodies out to keep people from stealing them on test drives and such. Often they just forget to put all the stuff back.
I always check for tools, inflaters, manuals and of course keys. A lot of times, everything is just in a package in the back, unless you ask, they will not give it to you.

Quick Reply: Why do dealers sell cars with missing accessories.