New Dundon street headers and tips - install question

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2020, 07:31 PM
wmond
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts
Default New Dundon street headers and tips - install question

Quick question for this crowd:

So after reading everything here, and recommendations from anyone with an opinion, I finally decided to purchase the Dundon street headers for my 991.2, and their titanium tips, taking advantage of their Black Friday-ish special. I’m keeping the OEM muffler. Having a local shop (Bodymotion in Ocean, NJ) do the install work Friday. I’m looking forward to the new sound and performance gains.

is there anything that I need to make sure the shop does, or does not, do as part of the installation? Make sure the tips are centered, but what else do I need to look for? I get this isn’t brain surgery, but it’s my first exhaust and first real modification to anything mechanical on this (or any) car (other than brakes) so would appreciate any insights. I feel like I’m going skydiving, jumping out of a perfectly good airplane, without a great reason to do it. Anyway, anything I need to make sure the shop focuses on? I’m assuming this is all pretty straightforward and I did confirm they have done this before, with Dundon and other types.

thanks in advance, reviews this weekend.
Old 12-02-2020, 10:28 PM
SterlingatBOM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

Just have them make sure the V-bands are sealed but that’s more of a problem of a home install. Easy to align them on a lift.
The following users liked this post:
Apex Ace (12-02-2020)
Old 12-02-2020, 11:24 PM
Apex Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 116 Posts

Easy installation for an experienced shop. Looking forward to your review.
Old 12-03-2020, 12:19 AM
wmond
Racer

Thanks guys. Exactly what I wanted to hear, and to help me relax about this. Good news is I still plan to drive the tires off it (then get another set and do it again). Already looking forward to DE season in 2021.
The following 2 users liked this post by wmond:
Apex Ace (12-03-2020), mr965 (12-03-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 01:01 AM
EmpireGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I just purchased the same header. So definitely have my eyes on this thread. Looking for a shop in SoCal area to do the install.
Old 12-03-2020, 02:13 AM
mr965
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by EmpireGT3
I just purchased the same header. So definitely have my eyes on this thread. Looking for a shop in SoCal area to do the install.
WR Teknica in City of Industry.
SterlingatBOM (12-03-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 04:31 AM
991.2 Gt3 Rs
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Make sure to change the header gaskets as well as the 2 seals that attach to the center exhaust left and right side. Before starting the car up make sure
they wipe the exhaust clean free of finger prints. Once heated it will stain. Good luck.
bogey1 (12-18-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 12:26 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 282 Posts

Zip tie the o2 sensor wires away from the cats. If they aren’t secured as far away as possible they will
melt the wires and give you lots of codes
The following 2 users liked this post by sgroer:
Alan C. (12-17-2020), bogey1 (12-18-2020)
Old 12-04-2020, 11:33 AM
wmond
Racer

Dundon uses the o2 sensors so no need to sip tie them. Also they checked the air filters since the bumper was off, and will change the air filters too, which were dirty. 12k miles, so I assume that’s fine. Should have taken pictures, but the workmanship on the exhaust is incredible and tips look fantastic. Cool to see her with the back bumper off, lots going on back there. Should have her back this afternoon, can’t wait.
Old 12-04-2020, 11:40 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by sgroer
Zip tie the o2 sensor wires away from the cats. If they aren’t secured as far away as possible they will
melt the wires and give you lots of codes
Sounds like you are speaking from experience? ;-)

I had the same issue with my driver's side O2. It was my mistake and it didn't pop up immediately and only after about a couple of weeks of driving. Easy to fix but biggest thing you can do is make sure the wires don't have too much slack in them when you zip tie them up.
The following 2 users liked this post by Seth Thomas:
Alan C. (12-17-2020), mr965 (12-05-2020)
Old 12-04-2020, 12:03 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
Sounds like you are speaking from experience? ;-)

I had the same issue with my driver's side O2. It was my mistake and it didn't pop up immediately and only after about a couple of weeks of driving. Easy to fix but biggest thing you can do is make sure the wires don't have too much slack in them when you zip tie them up.

yes. I had it “happen to a friend”
Old 12-04-2020, 12:04 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wmond
Dundon uses the o2 sensors so no need to sip tie them. Also they checked the air filters since the bumper was off, and will change the air filters too, which were dirty. 12k miles, so I assume that’s fine. Should have taken pictures, but the workmanship on the exhaust is incredible and tips look fantastic. Cool to see her with the back bumper off, lots going on back there. Should have her back this afternoon, can’t wait.

I know they use the o2 sensors but there is slack in the wire after the install. Remove the slack or melt your wires.
Alan C. (12-17-2020)
Old 12-04-2020, 04:49 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

You don't have to touch the center muffler to do the header install. Swapping tips should be so easy, it's 3 bolts. The holes are big to allow it to be adjusted. Really the tips take about 5min to install.

When I did my center muffler, I thought it was centered when I tightened everything up and put the bumper back on, to find out it was way off center. Yup, had to loosen it all up and adjust. This was a PITA!, there are a couple bolts that are hard to reach with the bumper and everything else still on. But you will not have that issue.

You will LOVE the setup! My guess is you loose 20% of your MPG, as your foot will be deep in the throttle all the time listing to the glorious engine noises!!!
Old 12-15-2020, 04:39 AM
blindfold
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Install should be a breeze, everything lines up perfectly. I had a very early set of headers in 2017 with OEM muffler and it was great in terms of noise/performance wise. Current set up is a full race headers with loud/black muffler and black tips. One little thing I wish dundon would produce a titanium tips in oem style instead of slash cut style. I think you will love it.
Old 12-15-2020, 08:36 PM
wmond
Racer

To wrap up this thread, I’ll let everyone know this has been a great modification. Install was a piece of cake, the shop had no issues, fit and finish was superb, and they knew to tie up the O2 sensor wires even before I asked them to. Jamie was a pleasure to deal with.

As for the exhaust and titanium tips, couldn’t be happier. Sound is perfect. I mean, let’s face it, car is too special to sound as quiet as it does with the stock equipment. Not that I’m looking to stand out while puttering around town, but it does need more of a sense of occasion and the stock sound isn’t it. The street headers and the OEM center is perfect for me. Not too loud, but louder than stock. And I still get the pops and crackles lifting off the gas, it properly screams between 6k and 9k, and cold starts are a nice reminder of what lies in store. Funny thing, I met a guy the very weekend this was installed with the exact same car, also with the Dundon street headers but with the “loud” Dundon center muffler. Sounded great also, but for me, too loud. Would be too loud, for example, after an hour on the parkway, understanding this all very subjective. With my setup, an hour on the parkway (or 4 hours to Watkins Glen) would be fine. Tips look purposeful, as titanium tips should.

And the extra power is noticeable. Not life changing, but the car has a greater sense of urgency is how I would describe it. A bit more ooomph anytime you need it. Couple that with the sound, this was a great upgrade. Very happy with the whole process, and thanks again to everyone who responded with advice.
The following 2 users liked this post by wmond:
bogey1 (12-18-2020), bulldog_YYC (12-16-2020)

Quick Reply: New Dundon street headers and tips - install question