Sponsored by:

Unconquerable buzzing sound in or behind dash at 4K RPM

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2020, 10:54 PM
mafoofan
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Unconquerable buzzing sound in or behind dash at 4K RPM

After two years, I still can't defeat the buzzing sound that emanates from my center console at 4K RPM. It goes away by about 5K RPM. The dealer acknowledged it was an issue and tried putting some foam around the ash tray--this seemed to temporarily help but then the buzz came back. I took the car to an indie shop who tried removing all sorts of interior parts to test whether they were causing the noise: (1) center console trim / ashtray, (2) A/C control unit, (3) PCM. None of it made a difference. They think they can hear the sound emanating from up to the right behind the PCM unit.

To complicate, my car has the following installed: (1) Numeric shifter and cables and (2) Akrapovic race headers (side muffler delete) and center bypass. However, these were dealer-installed when the car was bought new. Also, others with these modifications don't seem to experience this noise and the indie shop says they have never come across it before.

Next step is to go back to the dealer and ask that they look harder for the noise, which the indie shop thinks will involve disassembling the whole dash. If they don't want to help, I may have to write PCNA.

Anyone else having a similar issue? Any ideas?
Old 11-06-2020, 11:03 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,529 Likes on 5,056 Posts

You might check your radio speakers.
Old 11-06-2020, 11:10 PM
mafoofan
Racer

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
You might check your radio speakers.
Are those a known culprit?
Old 11-06-2020, 11:50 PM
Chris-911
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 67 Posts

I have the same sound at same RPMs. I’ve learned to live with it. Seems just like unavoidable resonance with how loud these cars are.
Old 11-07-2020, 12:19 AM
mafoofan
Racer

Originally Posted by Chris-911
I have the same sound at same RPMs. I’ve learned to live with it. Seems just like unavoidable resonance with how loud these cars are.
Is this so? Seems like most others don’t have the problem.
Old 11-07-2020, 01:49 AM
dgoldenz
Burning Brakes

Received 400 Likes on 209 Posts

This may sound stupid but if you have a garage door opener in your car make sure it’s not the metal piece vibrating against the visor or plastic areas. Same with any loose change. Took me months to figure out my opener was making the vibrations.
Old 11-07-2020, 02:08 AM
mafoofan
Racer

Originally Posted by dgoldenz
This may sound stupid but if you have a garage door opener in your car make sure it’s not the metal piece vibrating against the visor or plastic areas. Same with any loose change. Took me months to figure out my opener was making the vibrations.
Thanks for the suggestion—we already tried emptying out the glove box.
Old 11-07-2020, 02:43 AM
blabus
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 39 Posts

Interesting, I had the exact same thing in my 991.2 GT3 RS. Never did get around to hunting it down while I had the car.
Old 11-07-2020, 04:16 AM
itsujack
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

FWIW my buzzing at 5,000 rpm was eventually diagnosed as the A/C control unit. Replaced under warranty.
Old 11-07-2020, 05:03 AM
mafoofan
Racer

Originally Posted by itsujack
FWIW my buzzing at 5,000 rpm was eventually diagnosed as the A/C control unit. Replaced under warranty.
They tried removing the AC unit entirely and it didn’t make the buzz go away.
Old 11-07-2020, 03:55 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 326 Posts

That would be maddening...maybe trade her for a 2? The only problem I have is my condo neighbors complaining about the Sport Exhaust cold start "resonance"
Old 11-07-2020, 05:47 PM
gt3touring
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

I had a similar rattle and I traced it to my airbag. Dealer replaced the airbag and sound went away.

If you have the smoking package, I'd take a look at the door for the ash tray. For me, it's coming from the door hinge area and I stuck some foam in the ash tray when not in use so it helps to absorb the vibration.

I can tell you that PCNA is not going to help at all for noise issues. I've even had them tell me on another car that there is some clause in manual that all cars make mechanical noises and referred me to the paragraph in the manual.

I'd say if your dealer isn't helpful, try another nearby dealer. Sometimes another shop foreman is willing to do more than others.
Old 11-07-2020, 06:04 PM
mafoofan
Racer

Originally Posted by gt3touring
I had a similar rattle and I traced it to my airbag. Dealer replaced the airbag and sound went away.

If you have the smoking package, I'd take a look at the door for the ash tray. For me, it's coming from the door hinge area and I stuck some foam in the ash tray when not in use so it helps to absorb the vibration.

I can tell you that PCNA is not going to help at all for noise issues. I've even had them tell me on another car that there is some clause in manual that all cars make mechanical noises and referred me to the paragraph in the manual.

I'd say if your dealer isn't helpful, try another nearby dealer. Sometimes another shop foreman is willing to do more than others.
Thanks—can anyone recommend a dealer near NYC?
Old 11-08-2020, 10:05 AM
dmo0207
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fixed

I have the exact same problem recently in my 2018 Touring. It got louder and louder until I couldn't stand it anymore. I took it to Hendrick Porsche in Charlotte and an excellent mechanic there spent quite a bit of time and found several sources behind the PCM. Not the AC unit. He put felt tape around those. Also found the ashtray was part of the problem. Fixed! The car sounds so much better now that the annoying vibrations have been removed!
Old 11-08-2020, 10:28 AM
mafoofan
Racer

Originally Posted by dmo0207
I have the exact same problem recently in my 2018 Touring. It got louder and louder until I couldn't stand it anymore. I took it to Hendrick Porsche in Charlotte and an excellent mechanic there spent quite a bit of time and found several sources behind the PCM. Not the AC unit. He put felt tape around those. Also found the ashtray was part of the problem. Fixed! The car sounds so much better now that the annoying vibrations have been removed!
Awesome! Do you happen to have a detailed list of what they did that I can show the dealer here? PM works if you prefer. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Unconquerable buzzing sound in or behind dash at 4K RPM