Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance company refusing to replace broken windshield with OEM

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2020, 12:34 PM
carbondan
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

The sale of my 360CS almost fell apart when the buyer, who flew a representative out from Florida all the way to WA to inspect the car, found it wasn't an OEM windshield (I hadn't noticed).
He pulled out of the deal until we agreed to go 50/50 on buying an OEM replacement (at an eye watering cost, as could be imagined).
Old 11-03-2020, 04:06 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 161 Posts

This is the third windshield I've had in 18 months, so I'm thinking about just trying the aftermarket windshield for comparison. If there's a problem with the aftermarket windshield, I can file another claim. However, even if it is equivalent, it will probably be broken again in a year anyway.

I inquired to the local dealership about Joseph's suggestion, since the car is under CPO warranty: I heard back from the local excellent Porsche dealership, and they said that an aftermarket windshield will only affect the warranty of the rain sensor, which is shared by the windshield. So, if the rain sensor doesn't work properly, then I suppose that I could also file a claim for that.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Last edited by WP0; 11-03-2020 at 04:37 PM. Reason: heard from dealership about warranty
Old 11-03-2020, 04:17 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

I had my windshield replaced out of pocket. $700 for aftermarket and $1300 for OEM. They had to send the OEM glass 3 times because they kept showing up cracked.
Old 11-14-2020, 11:21 AM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 161 Posts

Update for any interested:

I got the aftermarket windshield installed: it's labelled FUYAO. Today, I will comment on the cosmetic differences, and I will comment on any performance differences next month.

Firstly, there is a larger gap all around the windshield and the frame. The gap around the OEM windshield is 2-3 mm all around, and the gap around the FUYAO windshield is 5-6 mm all around. It is noticeable, especially if you're used to washing your own vehicle.

Secondly, the edges of the FUYAO windshield are sharper and do not have the beveled edge that the OEM windshield has.

Thirdly, on first impression, the glass appears to be clearer, meaning that the tint is different. So far, the only impression this has made on me is that the four antennae that are built into the windshield are more prominently noticed.

Interestingly, the technician commented that just yesterday he replaced a front windshield on another GT3 RS locally, and that individual also went with the aftermarket option, and not OEM. The technician commented that this other customer has had 5 OEM windshields in that past 1-2 years, and wanted to try something different this time.

After I have a chance to drive the vehicle, I will be able to comment on internal reflection, clarity, visibility, etc., and will comment on that in another month or so.
The following 2 users liked this post by WP0:
CustomPerformanc (11-15-2020), fijibubba (11-14-2020)

Quick Reply: Insurance company refusing to replace broken windshield with OEM