Sponsored by:

Problem installing center delete

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2020, 03:50 AM
MacFever
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Problem installing center delete

Yesterday I installed an Akrapovic center delete, therefore I released the clamp between the cat and the left lateral silencer
The install went well and the Akra is centered perfectly BUT I cant get the lateral silencer aligned with the cat anymore
There is a 5 mm gap and I cant even close the clamp anymore
Anyone had the same problem ?
Thanks
Old 11-01-2020, 04:13 AM
hashash
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 147 Posts

Put a jack under the exhaust to support it , Loosen both sides and tighten but dont torque it yet . Then do the other side . After that torque both sides .
Old 11-01-2020, 05:34 PM
rhk118
Pro

Received 270 Likes on 173 Posts

Other option is loosen up both side muffler to cat on both sides, also loosen the 4 clamps on the exhaust. Just means the side muffler on the "left lateral" side (doc?) is angled a bit and perhaps pipes not completely seated all the way to the center delete -- if you just fix this one side then the exhaust tips may no longer be centered which is why I recommend loosening everything. You can use the jack to support it like @hashash mentions above or I ended up using a rubber mallet to gently tap things back into place. Nice exhaust! Warning once you do this and put bumper cover back on you still may be off on centering a bit - so I put mine back on but left the 4 exhaust clamps loose so I could gently wiggle it perfectly centered - you will also be able to rotate the tips up and down 1 - 1.5 cm so find the angle that looks right to you.

Last edited by rhk118; 11-01-2020 at 05:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TORRENT (11-02-2020)
Old 11-01-2020, 05:44 PM
MacFever
Racer

I will have a go at loosening everything again tomorrow hoping to get the thing aligned
Car is impossible to drive like this :-(
Old 11-01-2020, 08:26 PM
rhk118
Pro

Received 270 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by MacFever
I will have a go at loosening everything again tomorrow hoping to get the thing aligned
If you loosen everything up you will notice how you can adjust the rear delete and the side mufflers will find their place. Then tighten up the side mufflers and center up the rear, then tighten those 4 clamps. The sides don't just go in and out laterally, they all angle forward and back and that could be having an effect. This can be done with the rear bumper cover in place - so if its back together you can still easily loosen everything - hard part is done - getting all the tubes connected...
Old 11-02-2020, 06:00 PM
rob944s2
Rennlist Member

Received 392 Likes on 156 Posts

I had this problem. I could tell the clamps weren't seating properly but it wasn't obvious exactly what the problem was. It took me a while but basically I just kept wiggling everything around with the side mufflers loose until I could tell by squeezing the clamp with my fingers that it was aligned properly. In my experience it was obvious when it was seated correctly and I didn't have to use force. If you find yourself forcing the clamp then it's not seated right and you should loosen things and try again.
Old 11-02-2020, 09:51 PM
1963SWC
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by MacFever
Did you resolve this issue?
If not, first note that the clamps that clamp the Cat to the side muffler are directional; if you fully opened the clamp and placed on the ground, perhaps you reversed it when reinstalling. One side is basically flat while the other has a sloped surface. Even when I put this clamp on correctly, it seems to take a bit of squeezing and releasing, then shifting around, then more squeezing before it magically works out just right.
Next, since you loosened those clamps then you must have also loosened the three nuts holding on the side muffler (otherwise there wouldn’t be any movement in the side muffler and loosening the Cat to muffler clamp wouldn’t help much); if so, loosen those three nuts about halfway and then clamp the Cat/muffler first, then tighten those nuts.
Hope it works out, let us know.
Old 11-03-2020, 04:08 AM
MacFever
Racer

I worked all afternoon yesterday and finally was able to adjust the side muffler to the cat correctly but I had to loosen up everything including the nut that allows the side to move on its ax and also the clamp that hold it to the engine block
Of course also the 2 connections to the Akra center delete and the attachment of the Akra itself to the rear (where the original center also attaches)
The whole install was a very long and frustrating process but I learned a lot and should I have to do it again it would probably only take me half a day
Another thing : the used Akra I bought came off a 991.2 but the pipes are shorter than the originals so I put the originals onto the Akra center delete
On the Akra pipes there is a 997 part number so I suppose that with the 991.2 the pipes need to be longer
The Akra pipes will go up for sale and will be good for a GT3 997 or a 991.1

Last edited by MacFever; 11-03-2020 at 04:11 AM.
Old 11-03-2020, 10:02 PM
CT944
Drifting

Received 158 Likes on 111 Posts

Yes, I had those 997 Akrapovic tips on my 997 RS and they are shorter than the factory 991.2 RS pipes. Use the originals, they are titanium so can’t go wrong.
Old 11-04-2020, 03:55 AM
MacFever
Racer

I dont think that the GT3 has titanium endpipes, only the RS

Quick Reply: Problem installing center delete