Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tractive DDA RT coilover review

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2021, 07:13 PM
M3the01
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

Tom / TPC we really need more info... been on the fence for a long while and several others say the same thing. Seems like the optimal system but hard to understand the true data versus the marketing fluff.
Old 12-17-2021, 11:21 AM
Pdtp#16
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by FogCitySF
Despite looking and asking a lot of people solid data has been really hard to come by with the Tractive damper setup both vs stock and vs DSC w/ stock dampers (even with other cars/platforms other than Porsche). With KW/MCS/3/4 adjustable kits, seems like over a 2 mile track can improve lap times by about 1.5 ish secs based on several who run manual adjustable dampers. The fact that Tractive also sells motorsport dampers with a remote reservoir with manual high speed and low speed compression adjustment suggests that the semi-active nature of the Tractive DDA R&T dampers has some limitations. Having said that, the appeal of Tractive is the simplicity (install, setting, reversibility) and cost. Would imagine 4 way MCS or KW is going to be pushing $14k and if TracTive gets 80% of this performance delta, might be a better performance value.
This is just my opinion, so for what its worth here it is. The beauty about the tractive setup is the ability to perform in different conditions without the need of vast adjustments each time you go to a new track. I've seen folks install very expensive suspension setups and without the proper setup they actually go slower. If you have the ability to have a pro and a team help you create setups each time you go to a new track, then you might as well buy a proper race car and not track a street car. When it comes to performance, i think there are too many factors to compare which one is better etc Driver, car, setup etc. I have this setup and to my knowledge I set one of the fastest laps in a street car ever at Sebring with tons of time still to be made. I also have a good friend who tracks a turbo in EU you has been extremely successful using the Manthey KW Setup. It did take him almost a year to get it working properly but thereafter was winning tons of time attacks. So while they might be expensive, i spend a lot more than that just in a single test prior to a race.
The following 3 users liked this post by Pdtp#16:
Apex Ace (12-17-2021), FogCitySF (12-17-2021), RDCR (12-17-2021)
Old 12-17-2021, 07:16 PM
M3the01
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pdtp#16
This is just my opinion, so for what its worth here it is. The beauty about the tractive setup is the ability to perform in different conditions without the need of vast adjustments each time you go to a new track. I've seen folks install very expensive suspension setups and without the proper setup they actually go slower. If you have the ability to have a pro and a team help you create setups each time you go to a new track, then you might as well buy a proper race car and not track a street car. When it comes to performance, i think there are too many factors to compare which one is better etc Driver, car, setup etc. I have this setup and to my knowledge I set one of the fastest laps in a street car ever at Sebring with tons of time still to be made. I also have a good friend who tracks a turbo in EU you has been extremely successful using the Manthey KW Setup. It did take him almost a year to get it working properly but thereafter was winning tons of time attacks. So while they might be expensive, i spend a lot more than that just in a single test prior to a race.

This is exactly it... ive heard the same from pro drivers and actually had purchased the manthey kw kit before deciding against it. Stock is amazing, maybe a smidge higher rates upfront and i think its a pretty solid setup. That said, the car was designed around an active suspension and tractive is the route im likely going to go as i dont want / or need adjustments at every track. A very well known pro driver told me he gains 0.5-0.7s on the kw kit but if it is not tuned for the track it is like 1-2s loss in time, hence why i decided against this. He may choose to chime in here, i pinged him, but that i his choice.
The following users liked this post:
FogCitySF (12-17-2021)
Old 12-17-2021, 11:37 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 342 Posts

The best way I can describe the difference between OEM and the Tractive is the car feels way less nervous. I'm used to it now but I remember the first track day with the setup the car felt so different, so smooth, especially under braking.
Old 12-18-2021, 08:26 AM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts

Basically, add gas - back off of the trailer - burn some rubber - eat some track pads - blow the doors off of your friends on track - watch them wrench on their cars while you sip a Latte - Repeat!!

No adjustments - No fooling around.

Added gain to track experience - Priceless!!
The following 2 users liked this post by sasportas:
4 Point 0 (04-15-2022), FogCitySF (12-18-2021)
Old 12-19-2021, 01:24 PM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 94 Posts

Disclaimer - I am not as fast as many guys above. Simply enjoy putting car on track, trying to constantly learn and improve doing some mods on the way.

991.2 MT GT3 with AP racing brakes, MR wing with cup lip. Initial plan was for Joey’s e-motion engineering stage 5 suspension package with DSC controller. But when taking car to Orbit for install, there was a GT4 having Tractive installed and I could not resist the “since you are at it…”

Joey had at first planned the springs for the OEM dampers and we felt it would be too stiff and not let Tractive do its job. So installed Tractive with OEM springs to give it a try. We felt DSC was not needed for this setup. Some happy rennlister is already enjoying the DSC controller!

Did shakedown at Sebring with some MPSC2 on their very last breath. Typically they last me 2 weekends or so and I lose around a second per weekend on them. 19s on first weekend, low 20s on second, high 20s when tires almost done. Now on this first weekend with very used MPSC2s did 19s right away with no problem.

Car felt way more planted, as has been mentioned above, rumblestrips are just swallowed as nothing. Feel much more stable at heavy breaking. Turn in is just incredibly sharper. Much less oversteer. Had to really reprogram my brain. On sport at Sebring it was very very bumpy. Normal was just perfect. Car was so smooth but still very solid.

On that first day I had some rubbing that I just kept in mind. No changes on setup. Just changed to Nakangs AR-1 instead of MPSC2 and headed back to Sebring. Front -3.2 camber with .7 toe, rear -3 camber with 2.3 toe.

On Nankangs I am typically at 18s at Sebring. Now easy18s and some 17s right away. But lots of rubbing. So had to stop.

Back to Orbit. Adjusted caster, changed liners. Then headed to Barber and Rd Atlanta.

It was my second weekend ever with car at Barber. Last year had done it with MPSC2. This year with Nankangs. Same thing with Road Atlanta. I had one previous single day there. Now again just one day but could easily drop some time. In both dropped around 2-3 seconds. Barber 36 from 39, Rd Atlanta 33 from 36. But still can see there is easily so much room for more. You can say a little (lot) was Nankangs but as a package the car was so much better. In both tracks Sport mode was much better.

One very impressive point is the more even and less tire wear. After the half day in Sebring, 2 full days at Barber, 1 full day at Rd Atlanta, I would expect my tires to be close to done. There is still plenty of room to go.

I still felt some rubbing (much less though), specially at turn 12 at Rd Atlanta for example. I think it is time for harder springs. Will likely go 130/200 as car is mostly for track. I have however driven on streets occasionally and even with monoballs the car is absolutely civilized on street.

Will likely swap springs and kill whatever is left trying them early January at Sebring. Then hope to have final setup and new tires for winterfest!

Bottomline is that car felt dramatically more under control. Difficult to say what is tractive and what is Joey’s suspension. But the combo is incredible. As mentioned above, in my very amateur hands the critical thing is comfort, how much under control you feel you are. I understand we need to push closer and closer to limit to go faster. But I am not looking for a trophy, just want to have fun. And this additional security the new setup provides is priceless. I can only imagine what more capable hands could do.

The following users liked this post:
FogCitySF (12-19-2021)
Old 12-28-2021, 01:24 PM
ROCKSTAR.
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by aalencar
Disclaimer - I am not as fast as many guys above. Simply enjoy putting car on track, trying to constantly learn and improve doing some mods on the way.

991.2 MT GT3 with AP racing brakes, MR wing with cup lip. Initial plan was for Joey’s e-motion engineering stage 5 suspension package with DSC controller. But when taking car to Orbit for install, there was a GT4 having Tractive installed and I could not resist the “since you are at it…”

Joey had at first planned the springs for the OEM dampers and we felt it would be too stiff and not let Tractive do its job. So installed Tractive with OEM springs to give it a try. We felt DSC was not needed for this setup. Some happy rennlister is already enjoying the DSC controller!

Did shakedown at Sebring with some MPSC2 on their very last breath. Typically they last me 2 weekends or so and I lose around a second per weekend on them. 19s on first weekend, low 20s on second, high 20s when tires almost done. Now on this first weekend with very used MPSC2s did 19s right away with no problem.

Car felt way more planted, as has been mentioned above, rumblestrips are just swallowed as nothing. Feel much more stable at heavy breaking. Turn in is just incredibly sharper. Much less oversteer. Had to really reprogram my brain. On sport at Sebring it was very very bumpy. Normal was just perfect. Car was so smooth but still very solid.

On that first day I had some rubbing that I just kept in mind. No changes on setup. Just changed to Nakangs AR-1 instead of MPSC2 and headed back to Sebring. Front -3.2 camber with .7 toe, rear -3 camber with 2.3 toe.

On Nankangs I am typically at 18s at Sebring. Now easy18s and some 17s right away. But lots of rubbing. So had to stop.

Back to Orbit. Adjusted caster, changed liners. Then headed to Barber and Rd Atlanta.

It was my second weekend ever with car at Barber. Last year had done it with MPSC2. This year with Nankangs. Same thing with Road Atlanta. I had one previous single day there. Now again just one day but could easily drop some time. In both dropped around 2-3 seconds. Barber 36 from 39, Rd Atlanta 33 from 36. But still can see there is easily so much room for more. You can say a little (lot) was Nankangs but as a package the car was so much better. In both tracks Sport mode was much better.

One very impressive point is the more even and less tire wear. After the half day in Sebring, 2 full days at Barber, 1 full day at Rd Atlanta, I would expect my tires to be close to done. There is still plenty of room to go.

I still felt some rubbing (much less though), specially at turn 12 at Rd Atlanta for example. I think it is time for harder springs. Will likely go 130/200 as car is mostly for track. I have however driven on streets occasionally and even with monoballs the car is absolutely civilized on street.

Will likely swap springs and kill whatever is left trying them early January at Sebring. Then hope to have final setup and new tires for winterfest!

Bottomline is that car felt dramatically more under control. Difficult to say what is tractive and what is Joey’s suspension. But the combo is incredible. As mentioned above, in my very amateur hands the critical thing is comfort, how much under control you feel you are. I understand we need to push closer and closer to limit to go faster. But I am not looking for a trophy, just want to have fun. And this additional security the new setup provides is priceless. I can only imagine what more capable hands could do.

Nice review! I am also close to pulling the trigger on a set of the Tractives! Question for you, is the rubbing from the castor or just how long the car sits? Do you have a picture of the exterior showing the ride height?
Old 12-28-2021, 01:59 PM
M3the01
Burning Brakes

Rubbing is a mix of ride height, track, tires, and most importantly the caster. From what I can see if u have it perfectly setup it's extremely close in front and I'm back, so balance is tough. I'm also facing some similar issues but I'm running oem shocks and springs.
Old 12-28-2021, 02:37 PM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ROCKSTAR.
Nice review! I am also close to pulling the trigger on a set of the Tractives! Question for you, is the rubbing from the castor or just how long the car sits? Do you have a picture of the exterior showing the ride height?
Originally Posted by M3the01
Rubbing is a mix of ride height, track, tires, and most importantly the caster. From what I can see if u have it perfectly setup it's extremely close in front and I'm back, so balance is tough. I'm also facing some similar issues but I'm running oem shocks and springs.
Yeah, I had rubbing with both MPSC2 and Nankangs specially on T17 at Sebring. After that we adjusted caster and still had some at Barber (from T2 to T3) and Rd Atlanta (into T12).

Ride high is certainly lower now. Very very close in the front

Not the best pictures but I think you can get the idea

Old 04-01-2022, 08:27 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,262 Likes on 667 Posts

I’m running 100/150 with tractive and E-Motion bars.

I want more at the track, but I don’t want to loose too much on the street. We are track guys, so firm is fine.

Going from 100/150 to 130/200 (195). Is a 30% jump.

I was thinking of a 20% jump. Making it 120/180.

Any thoughts on this? Our tracks do have the odd bump.
One in particular just before the apex on turn one. It scares the crap out of me. Full lock at 170km/hr after stepping out, tends to make the stripes on the hood match your undies. 🤣. (That was when i was 75/150. 100/150 much better)
Old 04-01-2022, 08:40 PM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

Car has been spot on now. Adjusting caster took care of it.

Tractive and Orbit were very firmly against stiffer springs and now I will humbly say they were absolutely right. Love how the car behaves. No more rubbing! So in the end kept OEM springs. Swift springs collecting dust as no one seems to want them on marketplace…

next step next weekend will be some forgeline 19s!
Old 04-01-2022, 08:44 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Car has been spot on now. Adjusting caster took care of it.

Tractive and Orbit were very firmly against stiffer springs and now I will humbly say they were absolutely right.
You know they base that off what they hear from you.

If you say you are slow, and don’t track much and mainly drive on the street, of course they are going to recommend OEM spring rates.

If you are a homicidal, tyre murdering, nut job, they recommend 130/200 🤣🤣🤣.
Old 04-01-2022, 08:53 PM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

Hahaha. They know me well… been working on my cars for years.

We are now trying to coordinate for Johannes van Overbeek to come spend a day with me in Sebring so we can really see how to fine tune it. But he has been involved from the get go and all discussions between Joey, Orbit, and Tractive.
Old 04-01-2022, 08:57 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Hahaha. They know me well… been working on my cars for years.

We are now trying to coordinate for Johannes van Overbeek to come spend a day with me in Sebring so we can really see how to fine tune it. But he has been involved from the get go and all discussions between Joey, Orbit, and Tractive.
Your car looks sensational btw. I love the yellow decal and the BBS-FI-R.

Look again

Here’s mine. i need a big wing!
Old 04-01-2022, 10:40 PM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
Your car looks sensational btw. I love the yellow decal and the BBS-FI-R.

Look again

Here’s mine. i need a big wing!
Man, what a beauty. Love the black and white.

Manthey wing is much bigger but surprisingly blends in well.

I am so curious to see how Forgelines will look.

Quick Reply: Tractive DDA RT coilover review