Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tractive DDA RT coilover review

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2021, 02:32 PM
M3the01
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

What are the spring rates for the tractive setup? 130nm front and 200nm linear? The factory for 991.2 gt3rs / gt2rs is 100/160 which is a huge difference front to back. Manthey KW setup is a 120/170, MCS is more like 110/150.

I worry about such a difference front to back as this is one thing most of the ohlins, kw, MCS agree upon is getting those spring rates closer but the tractive is expanding it? Also, for the tractive, is it a 2-way system? electronic controllers for rebound and compression but not fine grain for high / low speed?

Last edited by M3the01; 01-06-2021 at 02:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
4 Point 0 (11-13-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 02:43 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 951 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by M3the01
What are the spring rates for the tractive setup?
We don't have a one-fit-all spring rate. Each set of coilovers we sell includes consultation to the customer to determine the most ideal spring rate with consideration for any mods on the car and the intended usage. For example, on a 991.1 GT3/RS and 991.2 GT3 it is popular to go with 100/160nm springs for street and track. This setup rides nicer than OEM dampers and great track performance. 100/160 is what comes standard on a .2RS. We up the spring rates for customer who prefer to focus more on track performance and are willing to give up a little bit of road compliance.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Last edited by Tom@TPC Racing; 01-06-2021 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-06-2021, 03:01 PM
M3the01
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tom@TPC Racing
We don't have a one-fit-all spring rate. Each set of coilovers we sell includes consultation to the customer to determine the most ideal spring rate with consideration for any mods on the car and the intended usage. For example, on a 991.1 GT3/RS and 991.2 GT3 it is popular to go with 100/160nm springs for street and track. This setup rides nicer than OEM dampers and great track performance. 100/160 is what comes standard on a .2RS. We up the spring rates for customer who prefer to focus more on track performance and are willing to give up a little bit of road compliance.
Ty Tom, very useful info. Do u have details on the dampers? 2-way electronic?
Old 01-06-2021, 04:02 PM
sgreer78
Rennlist Member

Received 687 Likes on 308 Posts

The DSC controller for the stock dampers basically turns them into 6 ways...So I'd assume they would at least have that capability.
Old 01-06-2021, 04:59 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Ty Tom, very useful info. Do u have details on the dampers? 2-way electronic?
There must be collectively 50 pages of info that I wrote on rennlist alone.

Originally Posted by sgreer78
The DSC controller for the stock dampers basically turns them into 6 ways...So I'd assume they would at least have that capability.
That is somewhat true, please allow me to elaborate.

Conventional manually-adjusted 2-way dampers typically have two settings, they are Compression and Rebound. The Compression and Rebound can be divided into High-speed and Low-speed which then the damper is referred to as 3-way or 4-way. These are all static settings; meaning once you set each adjuster dial(Compression, Rebound, High/Low speed), it is the absolute damping characteristic until you stop the car, get out of the car, and turn the adjuster dial(s) again.

DSC V3 controller dynamically commands electronic dampers in a way that is well beyond the conventional Compression and Rebound that are often referred to in the manual-adjusting world. With DSC dynamic damping technology the primary load is g-force(actual g-force value, direction of g-force, and rate of change in g-force). The primary load is the absolute value for a moment until there is a change in g-force. Brake Line Pressure, Steering Angle, Throttle Movement, and of course High-speed, Med-speed, and Low-speed Compression and Rebound are offsets to the absolute value, in real time. Here's the DSC Travel Velocity Table-

DSC stands for Dynamic Suspension Control. This acronym is precisely what the DSC product does, in a dynamic(or active, or reactive) multi-dimensional way.

The 991 OEM PASM dampers are very good. They have a reaction time of ~100 millisecond to command. Which is 10x per second. Very impressive for mass-produced OEM dampers. Noticeable improvements in performance and comfort can be had by using DSC with OEM dampers.

For the pinnacle in electronic dampers, we offer the DSC RT coilover dampers featuring the patented Tractive DDA electronic Spool-valve with 6 millisecond reaction time(166x per second), true bi-directional operation to react to command during mid-stroke unaffected by external compression pressure, ultra-wide dynamic damping force range, and top-tier build quality.
The following 4 users liked this post by Tom@TPC Racing:
Brian Himmelman (04-01-2023), ealingj (03-17-2024), RDCR (01-06-2021), sgreer78 (01-06-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 08:34 PM
bsquare
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by usrodeo4
Great review, thanx or sharing. I am one of those that has decided not to mod my car (I do have the rear wing Baron uprights) but if my plan holds to keep the GT2 car long term, of which I will know in the next 2 1/2 years, I can see modding/tracking her downrange. BTW does Ohlins make a coil over for our RS cars?
Ohlins makes kits, but as with most others except Tractive, they are passive. I suggest getting a DSC controller before anything else. You likely won't need to upgrade suspension beyond that.
Old 01-07-2021, 02:03 AM
M3the01
Burning Brakes

Would luv to see someone compare to say a 3 way or 4 way setup from KW or MCS...
mr965 (01-07-2021)
Old 01-07-2021, 04:02 AM
s4corrado996tt
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Thx for sharing your review!
Old 01-07-2021, 11:22 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Would luv to see someone compare to say a 3 way or 4 way setup from KW or MCS...
It is of my professional opinion that comparison between manually-adjusted 2-way, 3-way, 4-way, vs. dynamically controller electronic damper would be more subjective than objective because the results are relatively to how the manual adjuster dials are set for the surface condition for a particular track on that particular day. I have to figure by now, 7 years after the first 991 GT3/Cup chassis came to market, all the top name damper manufacturers have the correct valving range for the 991 chassis. Given that thought, the results is more of the function of the damping adjustments within the range and no so much the brand itself. Which I am certain that all the top brands are of top quality. Other "external" factors that can affect comparo results are the spring rates(regardless of brand, some users do change spring rates after the original purchase), ride height/rake, alignment, tire compound, tire pressure, and tire condition. Sorry if this seem like I am adding more confusion than being helpful, I have been in the motorsports industry for a quarter of a century, these are facts from first hand work experience. In summary, all the top-tier consumer-level dampers are good. There is no bad choice among the top-tier as long the overall results as a whole, including chassis and brand name pride satisfies the end user. Nonetheless, comparisons are fun!
The following 5 users liked this post by Tom@TPC Racing:
KA 991 GT3 (06-30-2021), MotoJB (03-20-2021), mr965 (01-10-2021), sgreer78 (01-07-2021), vokain (04-19-2023)
Old 01-07-2021, 11:59 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,690 Likes on 2,338 Posts

never believe in active suspension.
997/991 meh
then I drove tractive (on totally different platform not gt3)
WOW....
short of u having a chassis engineer with you 24/7 and adjusting for u, this is close to the END GAME
The following 3 users liked this post by mooty:
Apex Ace (05-17-2021), Brian Himmelman (05-04-2024), MotoJB (03-20-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 06:23 PM
QuickOne
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Wanted to follow up with a track review of this setup...

Just got back from 2 days at Mid-Ohio running with Chin Track Days. Lots of track time and many laps - as many as my 2 year old Cup2Rs would handle. The car performed amazingly well. It transitioned weight in a very controlled manner and allowed me to put down power easily on corner exit. The transitions were smooth and controlled, and I could dial in the electronics if I felt the need (I didn't - the map the team at TPC has works extremely well). I was talking with another RS owner (a .2) who is an ex-racer and Mid-O is his home track. He's very fast there (and gave me some pointers to improve!) - he said he was shocked at how quickly my car would apply power and bolt out of the corners. Pretty good given I only have a lowly .1 RS.

I'm still learning the suspension overall, but I'm convinced it's an amazing product and I'm looking forward to spending more time behind the wheel. Anyone on the fence and spending a reasonable amount of time on track - get it. It's good stuff.

It's so good my buddy in a GT350R just bought the same setup for his car.

*Note - I'm not affiliated with TPC or DSC or Tractive at all - just a satisfied customer*
The following 2 users liked this post by QuickOne:
KA 991 GT3 (06-30-2021), Tom@TPC Racing (06-04-2021)
Old 06-30-2021, 11:44 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 342 Posts

After 2 days at Laguna with the Tractive DDAs on my 991.1 I have to say this is the best mod I have ever done to any of my cars. Coming from a GT4 that had the Swift spring upgrade, full monoballs and DSC the GT3 stock left a lot to be desired to me in terms of the overall stability of the car turning in, braking, transitions etc to the point that I never felt very comfortable tracking it. I went with .2 RS spring rates and had solid monoballs added as well and this just transformed the car. The result was 1.2 seconds off my PB and average lap times were 2 seconds better OA as well. Times aside the confidence and comfort level I now have with the car - "Priceless". I could feel the difference on some hard HWY 9 runs before I had the track days so I knew this would be a great street upgrade as well for anyone looking for more in the twisties. The street ride is more harsh than OEM but only over very bad roads.
Tom@TPC Racing (06-30-2021)
Old 06-30-2021, 11:48 AM
QuickOne
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by RDCR
After 2 days at Laguna with the Tractive DDAs on my 991.1 I have to say this is the best mod I have ever done to any of my cars. Coming from a GT4 that had the Swift spring upgrade, full monoballs and DSC the GT3 stock left a lot to be desired to me in terms of the overall stability of the car turning in, braking, transitions etc to the point that I never felt very comfortable tracking it. I went with .2 RS spring rates and had solid monoballs added as well and this just transformed the car. The result was 1.2 seconds off my PB and average lap times were 2 seconds better OA as well. Times aside the confidence and comfort level I now have with the car - "Priceless". I could feel the difference on some hard HWY 9 runs before I had the track days so I knew this would be a great street upgrade as well for anyone looking for more in the twisties. The street ride is more harsh than OEM but only over very bad roads.
Nice! Completely agreed. It's a great setup - one of the best I've driven.

I'm actually going to pull these off my 991.1RS, along with the monoball setup, and move them on to someone new. Am converting the car back to stock-ish to sell as I'm building a new track car for my son and I to drive. I think the RS, especailly in track weapon form, might be too much for him - and too expensive if he makes a mistake.

I'm sure these coilovers will find a good home soon!
Old 06-30-2021, 06:48 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by QuickOne
Wanted to follow up with a track review of this setup...

Just got back from 2 days at Mid-Ohio running with Chin Track Days. Lots of track time and many laps - as many as my 2 year old Cup2Rs would handle. The car performed amazingly well. It transitioned weight in a very controlled manner and allowed me to put down power easily on corner exit. The transitions were smooth and controlled, and I could dial in the electronics if I felt the need (I didn't - the map the team at TPC has works extremely well). I was talking with another RS owner (a .2) who is an ex-racer and Mid-O is his home track. He's very fast there (and gave me some pointers to improve!) - he said he was shocked at how quickly my car would apply power and bolt out of the corners. Pretty good given I only have a lowly .1 RS.

I'm still learning the suspension overall, but I'm convinced it's an amazing product and I'm looking forward to spending more time behind the wheel. Anyone on the fence and spending a reasonable amount of time on track - get it. It's good stuff.

It's so good my buddy in a GT350R just bought the same setup for his car.

*Note - I'm not affiliated with TPC or DSC or Tractive at all - just a satisfied customer*
Thank you for your feedback. We are very thrilled that you are having fun with your DSC V3 controller and DSC custom valved RT coilovers!
Old 06-30-2021, 06:56 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by RDCR
Thank you for your feedback. Congrats on your PB! 1.2 sec is awesome! The 100/160nm custom spring rate selection is the hot setup for dual purpose car. In addition to custom spring rates for each customer's usage, we re-valved your new coilovers to TPC/DSC spec for the US market and features the Tractive DDA valve. Very glad you are having a great time with your GT3!

Quick Reply: Tractive DDA RT coilover review