Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a CPO 2014 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2020, 07:58 PM
josephvman
Racer

Received 249 Likes on 129 Posts

Seems like a strong asking price, but CPO from a dealer I'd expect that. I think $115k is the right money, but no harm in paying a little more if the car gives you the warm fuzzy feeling. Having switched from a GT4 to a GT3 myself, I have to ask why you want to keep both? I loved my GT4, in some ways more so than the GT3, but the cars just aren't that different a driving experience to keep both, and once you've spent a little time in the GT3 your GT4 won't be nearly as exciting as it is now. Why not sell the GT4 and look at .2's or RS's? Or get a nice air-cooled car to put next to your GT3?
The following users liked this post:
pissedpuppy (10-01-2020)
Old 09-29-2020, 09:07 PM
slipaway37
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by josephvman
Seems like a strong asking price, but CPO from a dealer I'd expect that. I think $115k is the right money, but no harm in paying a little more if the car gives you the warm fuzzy feeling. Having switched from a GT4 to a GT3 myself, I have to ask why you want to keep both? I loved my GT4, in some ways more so than the GT3, but the cars just aren't that different a driving experience to keep both, and once you've spent a little time in the GT3 your GT4 won't be nearly as exciting as it is now. Why not sell the GT4 and look at .2's or RS's? Or get a nice air-cooled car to put next to your GT3?
Oh man oh man.
You just really made a LOT of sense, and now have me thinking; however, I believe the 981 GT4 prices will continue to rise.
Today I could not believe how many 718 GT4s on their lot and at $143K!
And yes, the 991.2 is my true dream car.
Old 09-29-2020, 09:50 PM
josephvman
Racer

Received 249 Likes on 129 Posts

It has been awhile since somebody has said I made a lot of sense, so cheers for that! I don't see 981 GT4's going up enough to make it worth keeping for that reason alone, at least not in our lifetimes. If you continue to drive it, add miles, and spend money to maintain it your best bet might be it doesn't really cost you anything. You're really not going to like me when I throw this at you, and only because it has crossed my mind more than once, and only my unreasonable love and willingness to spend stupid amounts of money on my Carrera 3.2 has kept me from doing this. Sell the GT4 and get a 981 Spyder! Absolutely the best of both worlds to have a .1 GT3 and a 981 Spyder. The Spyder actually has a much better chance at appreciation than 981 GT4, and it's flat-out one of the prettiest Porsche's ever made.

Originally Posted by slipaway37
Oh man oh man.
You just really made a LOT of sense, and now have me thinking; however, I believe the 981 GT4 prices will continue to rise.
Today I could not believe how many 718 GT4s on their lot and at $143K!
And yes, the 991.2 is my true dream car.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:47 PM
slipaway37
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by josephvman
It has been awhile since somebody has said I made a lot of sense, so cheers for that! I don't see 981 GT4's going up enough to make it worth keeping for that reason alone, at least not in our lifetimes. If you continue to drive it, add miles, and spend money to maintain it your best bet might be it doesn't really cost you anything. You're really not going to like me when I throw this at you, and only because it has crossed my mind more than once, and only my unreasonable love and willingness to spend stupid amounts of money on my Carrera 3.2 has kept me from doing this. Sell the GT4 and get a 981 Spyder! Absolutely the best of both worlds to have a .1 GT3 and a 981 Spyder. The Spyder actually has a much better chance at appreciation than 981 GT4, and it's flat-out one of the prettiest Porsche's ever made.
I once had a distinguished gentleman who apparently buys Porsche's like buying cheeseburgers (uber-wealthy), and an absolute enthusiast give me some tremendous insight.
I met this man day after purchasing my GT4 at the dealership the following day as two (yes two) GT2RS were out front awaiting his drive-off. He was absolutely friendly and who the hell would not be with pockets that deep, lol!
He asked if I were a PCA member and I said, "You big boys with these type of GT cars would not make fun of my little GT4?" He replied, "I own one, and is the only Porsche I will never get rid of."
His words resonated deeply within whether true or not, and I knew I had stumbled upon a great find right then and there.
I do not plan to purchase any additional warranty unless someone in this thread provides some great reasoning to-do-so.
And who knows, maybe tomorrow's test drive won't convince me, but I highly doubt it.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:08 AM
JesseRohr
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 108 Posts

Obviously the other side of the country, but here is another CPO 2014

https://www.porscheatlantaperimeter....ac2a99es183155
Old 09-30-2020, 10:20 AM
poison123
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by JesseRohr
Obviously the other side of the country, but here is another CPO 2014

https://www.porscheatlantaperimeter....ac2a99es183155
Thats my old car. It has a E engine, and I drove the **** out of it.
The following 4 users liked this post by poison123:
itrsteve (09-30-2020), JesseRohr (09-30-2020), Mthrice (09-30-2020), X2Board (10-22-2020)
Old 09-30-2020, 11:00 AM
TheDogPack
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

108K-115K at the most! I'm surprised they can CPO it given the age.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:05 PM
AKA5
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Picked up a CPO 2014 3 weeks ago, Mid 160k sticker, 22k miles for $112,500
Old 09-30-2020, 01:27 PM
johndemartino
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Some data for you for what's it's worth...

I bought a white 2015 GT3 three weeks ago and paid $126.

The value equation is this:

· CPO/8k miles/steel/4 ways. $145k build (exactly how I would have spec’d it)

· Porsche Dealer (Herb Chambers Porsche in Boston)

· Known history - Car was originally purchased from, and has always been serviced by Herb Chambers. PO has longstanding relationship with dealer, has several P-cars

· 100% stock, never modified, and basically flawless inside and out

· Dealer put a new set of Cup 2's, flushed all fluids (engine oil/coolant/PDK/brakes) as part of the CPO, all due to timing out vs wear.

To me, getting caught up in all the details of stitching color, leather wrapped whatever, carbon fiber this or that, is just silly. 99% of the value is in the motor, driveline and suspension, the car is fantastic no matter how it is spec’d.

I already have three track days on it and it is 100% amazing! For me, while I could have afforded it, the incremental improvements of the 991.2 (101%, 102% amazing?) were just not worth the $30-40k premium at this time. I personally prefer the styling of the .1 as well, I'd put this thing in my living room if I could.

It's anyone's guess where the relative values will go, I have no crystal ball.

My personal view of the finger-follower issue is this...

1. If it is not an issue within the warranty period, it will never be an issue

2. If it is an issue during the warranty period, Porsche will fix it, no questions asked. It will then be a G engine and good to go

3. Either way a third-party fix will likely become available as the warranty comes closer to expiration to remove the issue altogether, if so desired.

Buy the car, you will love it!

John

Last edited by johndemartino; 09-30-2020 at 01:28 PM. Reason: removed some weird formatting
The following 2 users liked this post by johndemartino:
itrsteve (09-30-2020), RDCR (09-30-2020)
Old 09-30-2020, 01:28 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

If the car is the right spec and right options/condition, then it's fine overpaying a bit. After a month or 2 of driving the GT3 you will not care what you paid!

FWIW, I was considering the same thing, either a GT3 or a GT4. I really liked the small compact feeling of the GT4, but the engine felt soft and there was no drama at all in it. There was also no engine "feel" as there was not difference in feel or sound between 3/4th's and full throttle. Second gear was pathetic, it's so long, and really hurts the car. But I loved everything else, including the $30k+ price difference. But that's also the downside, as the GT4's are dropping in value faster then the GT3. My main use for the car is Autocross, so 2nd gear acceleration is very important.

The GT3 just felt alive, and every part felt race inspired. The engine just comes alive at higher RPM's and there is just so much drama. I really like how much the GT3 move around, it's a handful in a fun way. I should admit, I'm a better driver in a rear engine car then a mid engine. In the end the GT3 won, and I overpaid, but I got the exact car I would have ordered with an extended warranty. It's been 10months and 5kmi and I have LOVED every mile in it! It has been my COVID outlet, to get out early in the morning and blast the mountain pass back roads. Track days are like crack to an addict. This car stock is next level on the track! I'm posting lap times that are in full race car pace, with a full interior, and AC. After doing a few AX events (most were canceled this year) I'm getting the hang of the car, and have set TTOD a couple of times. This is in a STOCK car! Im beating people on full prepped hoosier trailered race cars!

YES, the GT3 is that good! Get it and never look back!
Old 09-30-2020, 01:47 PM
poison123
Banned

Originally Posted by johndemartino
Some data for you for what's it's worth...

I bought a white 2015 GT3 three weeks ago and paid $126.

The value equation is this:

· CPO/8k miles/steel/4 ways. $145k build (exactly how I would have spec’d it)

· Porsche Dealer (Herb Chambers Porsche in Boston)

· Known history - Car was originally purchased from, and has always been serviced by Herb Chambers. PO has longstanding relationship with dealer, has several P-cars

· 100% stock, never modified, and basically flawless inside and out

· Dealer put a new set of Cup 2's, flushed all fluids (engine oil/coolant/PDK/brakes) as part of the CPO, all due to timing out vs wear.

To me, getting caught up in all the details of stitching color, leather wrapped whatever, carbon fiber this or that, is just silly. 99% of the value is in the motor, driveline and suspension, the car is fantastic no matter how it is spec’d.

I already have three track days on it and it is 100% amazing! For me, while I could have afforded it, the incremental improvements of the 991.2 (101%, 102% amazing?) were just not worth the $30-40k premium at this time. I personally prefer the styling of the .1 as well, I'd put this thing in my living room if I could.

It's anyone's guess where the relative values will go, I have no crystal ball.

My personal view of the finger-follower issue is this...

1. If it is not an issue within the warranty period, it will never be an issue

2. If it is an issue during the warranty period, Porsche will fix it, no questions asked. It will then be a G engine and good to go

3. Either way a third-party fix will likely become available as the warranty comes closer to expiration to remove the issue altogether, if so desired.

Buy the car, you will love it!

John
Sorry 1 and 2 are highly flawed thinking. No one has every been able to nail down exactly why they fail or when. On 2...every variant of the engine E/F/G all have had failures.
Old 09-30-2020, 03:56 PM
johndemartino
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by poison123
Sorry 1 and 2 are highly flawed thinking. No one has every been able to nail down exactly why they fail or when. On 2...every variant of the engine E/F/G all have had failures.
Does that engine failure data exist somewhere?
Old 09-30-2020, 03:58 PM
poison123
Banned

Originally Posted by johndemartino
Does that engine failure data exist somewhere?
In one central place other than Porsche....probably not. But there's a crap ton on this forum alone.
Old 09-30-2020, 05:28 PM
itrsteve
Burning Brakes

Received 692 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by poison123
The flaw in the logic is that the "G" engines from the production line aren't internally the same as the final engine revision which the replacements ship as today.

Which is why the whole E/F/G categorization should be thrown out as they're bound to model years and not engine revisions (which would be identified by serial numbers within the lifecycle of each).
Old 09-30-2020, 07:56 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 307 Posts

I fail to see the flawed logic in buying a .1 with 4-5 years left on the motor (and for all practical purposes unlimited mileage) versus a .2 that's 4 years old and out of warranty if the future is what we're talking about. I've driven a 2015 GT3 with 109K miles on the original F motor. We're barely seeing .2s get into the 20K mile range at this point. If the car will be heavily tracked I think the .1 is a no brainer. A heavily tracked .2 with no warranty would scare me.

Quick Reply: Considering a CPO 2014 GT3