Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory paint defects on GT cars?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2020, 03:23 AM
joezippoli
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Factory paint defects on GT cars?

Noticed a severe paint discoloration on a newly purchased car. Found the darker green circle by taillight removed bumper to find the details below. Is this common for Porsche? I highly doubt it based on the their level of quality control. Have owned a few Porsche cars never seen this before. PCNA says this is normal quality for a carbon fiber bumper? I find it hard to believe they would let a limited run car go out like this. Has anyone else experienced this before with paint work?

Thanks in advance

Clearly 2 different color greens

Color diff here also

Dark and lite green

Hard to believe factory would do this.

Last edited by joezippoli; 09-06-2020 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-06-2020, 08:58 AM
Jeremy Hazeltine
Pro

Received 104 Likes on 60 Posts

Possibly a repair from the dealer?
Old 09-06-2020, 09:03 AM
joezippoli
AutoX

Dealer insists its was not repaired by them, they claim car was in port less than 24 hours. Porsche NA first response was this is factory normal, but I highly doubt that on any model especially a speedster, they did not even offer to repair it yet the color difference is obvious.
Old 09-06-2020, 09:58 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Too many issues suggest a poor repair rather than careless QC.
The following users liked this post:
usrodeo4 (09-07-2020)
Old 09-06-2020, 10:12 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

At the factory bumpers are painted by the supplier and are delivered just in time when they are needed for assembly. The bumpers get installed already painted. That is a poor repair. Bumpers are not carbon. Front fenders (wings) are carbon on the RS’s.

Last edited by Todd B; 09-06-2020 at 10:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Perimeter (09-06-2020)
Old 09-06-2020, 10:34 AM
joezippoli
AutoX

Originally Posted by djcxxx
Too many issues suggest a poor repair rather than careless QC.
I agree with it being a sloppy repair. it looks like a Macco paint job or for those of us (old enough to remember LOL) the Earl Scheib $99.95 drive thru paint job. These cars are perfection that is what we are paying for. The Speedster was $380k out the door,.

I find it perplexing that Porsche would say this is normal quality due to bumpers being carbon fiber and painted by hand in multiple departments. The other panels are carbon fiber and are flawless.

Cant even get the General Manger or Service manger at the selling South Florida Dealership on the phone wont return calls or voicemails. When you buy a car they are super concerned about the CSI report you give. As I would assume they would step up to the plate.
Old 09-06-2020, 10:44 AM
joezippoli
AutoX

Originally Posted by Todd B
At the factory bumpers are painted by the supplier and are delivered just in time when they are needed for assembly. The bumpers get installed already painted. That is a poor repair. Bumpers are not carbon. Front fenders (wings) are carbon on the RS’s.
This is a speedster I don't think the bumpers are carbon fiber. The panels that are carbon are flawless. Regardless of the material under the paint or how many people touch the process I cant see this being a factory thing. Disappointed at the quality for sure
Old 09-06-2020, 10:55 AM
por944trs
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As a professional refinisher, I am going to say that is a repair by the dealer.
Old 09-06-2020, 11:01 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Originally Posted by por944trs
As a professional refinisher, I am going to say that is a repair by the dealer.
‘Agree, or could have been damaged during shipping and fixed at the port before dealer arrival. Amazing dealer no clue on bumpers being plastic and not carbon.
Old 09-06-2020, 11:02 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,113 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by joezippoli
Dealer insists its was not repaired by them, they claim car was in port less than 24 hours. Porsche NA first response was this is factory normal, but I highly doubt that on any model especially a speedster, they did not even offer to repair it yet the color difference is obvious.
I would keep on working with PCNA and insist that they take this up another level. Ask to speak to their supervisor if necessary.

I thought that Porsche painted their cars by machine (robot) and it seems unlikely that the workmanship shown in the pictures is representative of a machine. At the least you are entitled to a full explanation of why this happened.
Old 09-06-2020, 11:34 AM
Gasman85
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 31 Posts

There was a thread awhile back about the taillights damaging the paint on the bumper especially on pts cars. Looks like that’s what happened and they tried to quickly repair it at port. This definitely sucks and I would request a complete rear bumper respray at the best shop in town.
Old 09-06-2020, 12:14 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Porsche finish quality is not flawless, especially after the diesel settlement, they have sent cars with defects including limited production high price tag cars.
I had a trunk cover replaced on a GT2RS on delivery due to defective finish. I couldn’t believe that they let the car leave the factory in that condition.
They also do get damage during transportation to the port, and they will get repaired without the dealers notification’ except for car being delayed. I have ordered plenty of them and have seen it all.
Old 09-06-2020, 12:28 PM
joezippoli
AutoX

Originally Posted by Marv
I would keep on working with PCNA and insist that they take this up another level. Ask to speak to their supervisor if necessary.

I thought that Porsche painted their cars by machine (robot) and it seems unlikely that the workmanship shown in the pictures is representative of a machine. At the least you are entitled to a full explanation of why this happened.
Thanks for the input guys. The dealer
Old 09-06-2020, 12:28 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,174 Likes on 2,172 Posts

You said newly purchased. Want to confirm you're the first owner? If not, is it possible that someone had it repaired prior to your purchase.

But that looks more like a port or dealer repair, but probably a dealer repair. I wouldn't necessarily trust the dealer to be transparent on something like this.

Someone else can chime in but PTS cars may also have more defects than a standard color?
Old 09-06-2020, 12:31 PM
joezippoli
AutoX

Originally Posted by Marv

Thanks for the input guys. The dealer claims '0- knowledge of the repair which is possible. When they reached out to the Florida PCNA rep he said the car was only at the Jacksonville port for under 24 hours. Which is hard to believe, on the other hand ports have body shops running 24/7.
It was PCNA that replied back saying the bumper was carbon fiber and therefore painted by 2 different departments? I requested it be escalated, they said it was already run thru the top people in Germany and that was there decision,.
I suggested they reach back out to Germany as I don't think I should have a bumper showing 2 different colors. I plan on driving the car limited, if it goes to auction 10 years from now and someone sees this work it will devalue the car, compared to one that is original.
I still have a 997.1 rs purchased new as well as a pts turbo cab 997.1 had a gt4 new. None had issues like this.

Last edited by joezippoli; 09-06-2020 at 12:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Factory paint defects on GT cars?