brake lock issue -- PCCBs

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2020, 01:53 PM
spinelli911
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default brake lock issue -- PCCBs

Hey guys,

I drove the 3RS out to the mountains (350km trip) and back last weekend. I noticed the car has been lurchy ever since and really weird rattling/resonance coming from the back seat bench above 5k RPM - 9k RPM. When I floor it, it’ll drop from 7th gear to 2nd but seems to stutter a bit before it’ll get up to 3rd. Almost as if it cannot figure out how much pedal I am giving it. Its trying to find the right RPM and right gear but seems confused.

Got back to town, washed/waxed it next day.

I pulled it out of the garage this afternoon to go for a drive. Drove about 1km slower speed, as the car was warming up. Got to the first red light and noticed the car wasn’t rolling while in gear. Took my foot completely off the brake while in drive, but wouldn’t move at all. I rolled the windows down, started to accelerate and could hear and feel the front brakes were gripping. I pulled over. Activated/deactivated the parking brake -- no change.

Pulled back out and drove a few more KM at varying speeds and gears -- at temp. Feels like the front brake are locked at 15-20% brake pedal. Car will not move unless on the accelerator. If I take my foot off the accelerator it’ll actually roll to a complete stop.

Feels like a parachute is behind the car and it’s linked to the front wheel axle.

I have a service appointment in a few weeks. Probably 30 more days of driving weather where I live. Was wondering if you guys could comment on this. Thanks guys!
Old 08-30-2020, 11:35 PM
BLKMamba
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 58 Posts

I have PCCBs and I’m not experiencing what you described. However, from a dead stop, i put a little bit more effort on the gas pedal to get the car going and that’s normal for any dual clutch transmission. I can also let the brakes go and the car will not move forward from a dead stop and would also move backwards if in an incline mimicking a manual transmission from a dead stop. Is this your first PDK car?
Old 08-31-2020, 10:30 AM
spinelli911
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKMamba
I have PCCBs and I’m not experiencing what you described. However, from a dead stop, i put a little bit more effort on the gas pedal to get the car going and that’s normal for any dual clutch transmission. I can also let the brakes go and the car will not move forward from a dead stop and would also move backwards if in an incline mimicking a manual transmission from a dead stop. Is this your first PDK car?
My 911 GTS is PDK and rolls while in gear -- a lot more than my GT3RS. I do know the GT3RS does not "roll" the same. I don't know if I am experiencing two unrelated issues or if the brakes are giving resistance to the car and impacting the PDK'c calibration. If put 3500km on the car since new. Has felt the same since day one, but got into it and it feels terrible. Like a parachute or loss of power, gearbox feels drunk. I don't know what to say...
Old 08-31-2020, 11:23 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

I wonder if it might be the brake pucks?
Old 08-31-2020, 12:26 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 519 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Perimeter
I wonder if it might be the brake pucks?
Broken puck hanging a pad up?
Old 08-31-2020, 01:44 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Have you put the car up on jacks and spun the wheels to see how much resistance you're getting?
Old 08-31-2020, 11:23 PM
flyjets
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 131 Posts

The GT3RS shouldn't be rolling when in drive and idle power.

Doesn't mean something else might not be wrong.

Ian

Last edited by flyjets; 08-31-2020 at 11:27 PM.
Old 09-01-2020, 09:21 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,450 Likes on 754 Posts

If your RS is PDK when you come to a stop your car will dump in to neutral and will not roll/lurch forward.- it will act like a Manual when you take it out of gear at a stop light.
The following users liked this post:
Seth Thomas (09-01-2020)

Quick Reply: brake lock issue -- PCCBs