Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 - P dealer's won't negotiate?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2020 | 03:28 PM
dgoldenz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by R35driver
everyones different in their finances. For me its not so much about the money. its about the dealer price gouging. We know the dealers are factoring their own cut into the deal after lowballing someone on trade in. they are basically flippers on used GT cars, that's their job.

I'm still hunting for a .2 manual. When the perfect chalk, lwb, pccb, fal, carbon trim, black wheels car comes along i'll be happy to pay for it. but no more than 10-15k below sticker.
Makes zero difference how much the dealer is making. Is the car priced according to market? If so, go get it. Can't tell you how many times I inquired about a "unicorn" build and it was gone before I even had the chance. If a dealer is wanting $20k over actual market value then wait it out. It can be really, really hard to find "the one" that's perfectly spec'd and then in good condition on top of that. There's a big difference between being $5-10k apart on a $175k car and $5-10k apart on a $40k car.
Old 07-30-2020 | 03:29 PM
Jimmy-D
Rennlist Member

This is crazy- My .2 Manual is not for Sale but if some body is serious and really wants a .2 Manual I will sell you mine. Delivered in Nov-2017,Fully loaded, never tracked, 8000 miles(never an hour from house), Never seen rain/snow. Stored 4 months every Winter. Car has GRP Bypass, Rennline Silver peddles, Windows tinted, Full Satin Wrap and nano coated, Function First shift ****, Beautiful white and black seat cushions done by a Company here that has done many, and a bunch of other stuff I can not remember. I also have the Fault Memory Entries report which is perfectly clean that i can send you.

If any one is truly looking and not kicking tires drop me a PM.I do not gave time for BS. The car is Perfect. I will just sit on the money and after next Winter decide what to do.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jimmy-D:
BayArea510 (07-30-2020), Porsche911GTS'16 (08-06-2020)
Old 07-30-2020 | 03:47 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by pitt911
10 k offer below asking is aggressive
This. Unless the car has a sucker price on it to begin with, a $10k below offer is too low. Go with $5k and I'll bet he'll get a better response.
The following users liked this post:
BayArea510 (07-30-2020)
Old 07-30-2020 | 04:10 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BayArea510
Hello all,
I have a question that my friend wanted to run by you. He's in the market for a .2 GT3 6 speed manual fully loaded and made offers on a few for sale by Porsche dealers. They are all 2018 very low mileage (<2k) mile cars with build sheets between $170-180k. He offered around 10k below asking price which he thought is reasonable but so far each dealer told him to get lost and said sales prices are already competitive, it's a rare low mileage car, etc, etc. Are his offers unrealistic or are the dealers he is working with just being snobby? He said for all other exotics he has dealers were happy to work out a deal. Any thoughts? Thanks
Are you implying asking was MSRP? What was the asking price?

If asking is MSRP, i dont believe that $10K off a 2 year old car is that far off. If asking is significantly back of MSRP and he comes in $10k below that - then he may not be serious or they may not perceive him as serious? But what do i know? It all depends on color / options. I assume he's looking at winged cars. Touring prices are stronger. And its also middle of summer and new GT3 is not available yet - so this is the strong price season.
Palting (07-31-2020)
Old 07-30-2020 | 04:15 PM
lloyd_christmas
Rennlist Member

At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is supply and demand. Dealers have the benefit of having folks that literally make a living pricing/selling these cars and (generally) have a decent feel for the market, although it’s impossible to have perfect information as market conditions can and do fluctuate and no two cars/buyers are identical. But to suggest that starting a negotiation at a ~7% discount to the ask is absurd is equally, well, absurd. I see valuation negotiations occur all the time in the corporate world, and you’d be surprised how many people think that 20% (I’m talking potentially $100’s of millions in actual dollars), much less 7%, is an appropriate starting position for a negotiation. I acknowledge it’s not a perfect analog, but why negotiate against yourself unless it’s your unicorn and you have to have it, in which case, dealer’s ask might be a great price.

Furthermore, sure, dealer pricing may be “market”...for cars offered/sold by dealers. As soon as you include private party transaction data points, not so much. Hence why some cars sit on dealers lots for 6-12 months.

Last edited by lloyd_christmas; 07-30-2020 at 04:22 PM.
BayArea510 (07-30-2020)
Old 07-30-2020 | 04:34 PM
Jbravo23
Rennlist Member

Tell him find another dealer. 10k off of a used car that is now 3 years old if not asking a lot at all. I got mine back in April of 2019 and they were still getting over msrp for used .2’s. My dealer wanted $6k more than msrp I offered $11k below and stuck with it. Now way I was paying msrp for a used car with 2k miles. Especially my first Porsche. I loved the car and had to have it but I never let them know that. I waited a few weeks and stuck with my offer. In the end they accepted my offer as long as I finance thru them. So I agreed, made 6 payments then refinanced thru DCU. Tell your friend be patient.

edit: I was totally wrong lol. After a brief search on cars.com there’s 27 manuals available. That number probably won’t go up until the 992 is announced.

Last edited by Jbravo23; 07-30-2020 at 04:45 PM.
BayArea510 (07-30-2020)
Old 07-30-2020 | 04:39 PM
RoyalPink
Burning Brakes

Supply and demand. Looks like there is a demand right now and low inventory. I'm surprised as well given the current environment and COVID. What few cars are for sale are mostly strippers. Hence the slim pickings. Market is the market. Either buy a car now at market or wait. No other options really at this time.
BayArea510 (07-30-2020)
Old 07-30-2020 | 04:41 PM
Norcalgt3
Pro

Originally Posted by Jbravo23
Tell him find another dealer. 10k off of a used car that is now 3 years old if not asking a lot at all. I got mine back in April of 2019 and they were still getting over msrp for used .2’s. My dealer wanted $6k more than msrp I offered $11k below and stuck with it. Now way I was paying msrp for a used car with 2k miles. Especially my first Porsche. I loved the car and had to have it but I never let them know that. I waited a few weeks and stuck with my offer. In the end they accepted my offer as long as I finance thru them. So I agreed, made 6 payments then refinanced thru DCU. Tell your friend be patient plenty of cars and dealers out there.
I think he's saying 10k off of asking not MSRP. In any case, yes, too aggressive. Some buyers are being unrealistic.
stpatsday (08-09-2020)
Old 07-30-2020 | 04:42 PM
konaforever
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jbravo23
Tell him find another dealer. 10k off of a used car that is now 3 years old if not asking a lot at all. I got mine back in April of 2019 and they were still getting over msrp for used .2’s. My dealer wanted $6k more than msrp I offered $11k below and stuck with it. Now way I was paying msrp for a used car with 2k miles. Especially my first Porsche. I loved the car and had to have it but I never let them know that. I waited a few weeks and stuck with my offer. In the end they accepted my offer as long as I finance thru them. So I agreed, made 6 payments then refinanced thru DCU. Tell your friend be patient plenty of cars and dealers out there.
OP never mentioned 10k off what price. Could be MSRP it some number under.
Old 07-30-2020 | 04:46 PM
Jbravo23
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Norcalgt3
I think he's saying 10k off of asking not MSRP. In any case, yes, too aggressive. Some buyers are being unrealistic.
Originally Posted by konaforever
OP never mentioned 10k off what price. Could be MSRP it some number under.

Ahhh got it. I misread the op
Old 07-30-2020 | 04:50 PM
maroli
Three Wheelin'

Wait, are we talking about 10k below MSRP or asking? I mean, if asking is 30k below MSRP and you want another 10k off, maybe that's too skinny of an offer. If it's MSRP they're asking and you offer 10k below, that's not a lowball at all.
Old 07-30-2020 | 05:16 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Time is on the buyer's side here. Just expand your search, out of state if you have the time/inclination. When the 992 GT3 drops...

Also, we are in a weird time when sticker price still matters. What I mean is that when the car is new, obviously you pay for your options. For GT cars the options hold value a bit into the used market, more so than other cars. However, there is a certain point where we start talking about the used car price vs. base MSRP new, a premium for options will all but evaporates (save for PTS, of course). So really they will become all 150k MSRP cars and start be discounted from there as used vehicles. Personally, I'd pay more for a no option car, but that's just me
Old 07-30-2020 | 05:28 PM
josephvman
Racer

There's a big difference between making a real offer and just fishing when "trying" to buy. My guess is that the dealers saw this buyer as someone who wasn't truly negotiating with the intent of closing a car deal. If he hasn't been able to close a deal with any of the multiple dealers and cars he's seen, then it would appear that this is the case.
Old 07-30-2020 | 05:35 PM
gt3dude
Instructor

I just scored 40k below msrp on a very loaded .2, 5k miles with leds,lift, ceramics,pdk,white, 1 owner, never tracked paint work or anything. The car has 18 way with leather backs.

im extremely happy with my deal... it took 4 months to find. It’s really hard to find a good deal.
evilfij (07-30-2020)
Old 07-30-2020 | 05:54 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by josephvman
There's a big difference between making a real offer and just fishing when "trying" to buy. My guess is that the dealers saw this buyer as someone who wasn't truly negotiating with the intent of closing a car deal. If he hasn't been able to close a deal with any of the multiple dealers and cars he's seen, then it would appear that this is the case.
This. You need to make an offer you're happy with closing that day on and make that apparent.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 - P dealer's won't negotiate?