Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather on Doors and Dash - Opinions Please!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2020 | 11:08 AM
Dave's911
Rennlist Member

Leather interior is important to me. It's a must have.
Old 07-27-2020 | 11:17 AM
UGADawgFan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RockyTopTenn
As I intend to keep this car pretty much forever, I went with the base interior. To me, it fit with the style and purpose of the Touring. (Cloth/corduroy-ilke seat inserts, no frills, light weight, etc...) I do wish the doors had the same trim as the dash and center console though...

As for leather dash, I had one in an older Ferrari and hated it. It was a bear to clean/condition and regardless, it kept shrinking over time and warping the dash. They do look nice when new though.
I agree as well. My 991.1 GT3 has full leather/alcantara interior, including the trim pieces and it looks great, but it is a bear to clean. And the leather dash is already warping at the top windshield edge on the passenger side and is likely going to need to be rewrapped in the future.

The leather dash trim pieces are a bit much for me though- I'm searching for a used brushed aluminum or carbon fiber set. The cabin looks too dour with the leather trims.

Old 07-27-2020 | 11:56 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

I order all my GT cars with full leather. Makes the inside look and feel more special and higher quality. Not a deal breaker though if looking at used cars.
Old 07-27-2020 | 10:04 PM
Tpup
Rennlist Member

If it’s a track rat who cares. Personally I would not have a car without it. I think the standard interior looks cheap. I sat in a Cayenne the other day and wouldn’t pull the trigger because the standard interior looks worse than Hyundai rental cars imo.
Old 07-28-2020 | 12:24 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Rubber dash v. Full cow

on the non-touring, rubber dash gets rid of most of the alcantara which may be good depending on your perspective. If I get a spyder, it will be rubber dash for this reason and the ones below.

I am firmly in the rubber dash camp as eventually leather fails on a dash. Maybe takes a few decades, but absent living in a climate controlled garage, it will fail. Rubber dash just wipe it down, minimal maintenance. Then again I spec my cars with minimal options and don’t understand why people dislike plastic, vinyl, cloth and manual everything .... I don’t know why we even need dashes and door panels.
The following users liked this post:
RockyTopTenn (07-28-2020)
Old 07-28-2020 | 05:04 PM
QuickOne
Racer

I've had both. I honestly like the rubber better as it means I don't have to constantly warn people to watch their nails, scratches on the doors or tops near the window.

But maybe I just prefer things less fussy as I get older.
The following 2 users liked this post by QuickOne:
evilfij (07-29-2020), RockyTopTenn (07-28-2020)
Old 07-28-2020 | 05:10 PM
mjdcolo
Instructor

Originally Posted by QuickOne
I've had both. I honestly like the rubber better as it means I don't have to constantly warn people to watch their nails, scratches on the doors or tops near the window.

But maybe I just prefer things less fussy as I get older.
I’m kinda thinking the same thing. I can’t tell you how many times I accidentally scratched the leather on my steering wheel or door shelves. If I got a scratch in the door or dash leather, how would I fix it? Yikes! And as long as you keep your plastic protected with trim sealant, like you do to the outside trim, it stays looking dark and new. I’m thinking this is the way to go.
Old 07-29-2020 | 01:22 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

I personally had the leather/alcantara package with deviated stitching throughout on my must have/preferred list. I feel fortunate I found a car that was perfectly spec'd for. Everyone has to decide what car suits them, but I would council to be patient and buy the one that really blows your skirt up.

Old 07-29-2020 | 03:59 PM
loungin
Pro

My dealer recommended full leather on the GT4 so I got it. But in retrospect for a car that is mainly used for autocross and track, I wish I got base interior so I wouldn't have to worry about the leather sitting in the sun, or wiping off the doors when it rains, and autocross/track days require windows open. For a track/fun car, it makes a lot of sense not to get too luxurious with the interior. Full leather is a nice feel though.

The following 2 users liked this post by loungin:
ajw45 (08-06-2020), Jickel180 (08-04-2020)
Old 08-04-2020 | 10:33 PM
DanQ
Pro

I bought my car with the std vinyl dash and doors. Thought it was underwhelming after a short while. My wife's GTI has a nicer interior. So, after searching eBay for parts, I upgraded to leather/alcantara door panels, body colored door trim, alcantara lower dash A B pillars, sport plus pepita seats, shift boot, etc. I still have rubber dash. Wait for what you want or make it how you want later. It's probably cheaper to buy a car with leather than to retrofit later as I did.
DanQ interior upgrade project

Before, stock:

After, upgrades:

As many have said, go leather with deviated stitching...

Last edited by DanQ; 12-22-2020 at 06:13 PM.
Old 08-04-2020 | 10:52 PM
DanQ
Pro

Here is the GTI interior for reference. Cloth seats are even better than leather in my opinion.
Old 08-04-2020 | 11:04 PM
Jickel180
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by loungin
My dealer recommended full leather on the GT4 so I got it. But in retrospect for a car that is mainly used for autocross and track, I wish I got base interior so I wouldn't have to worry about the leather sitting in the sun, or wiping off the doors when it rains, and autocross/track days require windows open. For a track/fun car, it makes a lot of sense not to get too luxurious with the interior. Full leather is a nice feel though.
This is exactly why I went with LWBS and no leather dash/doors. I didn't want to stress about climbing in the back to wipe the panels down after a track session in the rain, and constantly worrying about upkeep with leather cleaner and moisturizer. My only complaint is that the aluminum trim doesn't continue to the doors. It doesn't exactly look like a million bucks inside on first impression but...race car.

I like the leather dash/doors on a mostly street car with sofas, but I think it ultimately fits a Turbo/GTS/S ethos better.
Old 08-05-2020 | 12:59 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Another ++1 for the full leather interior and deviated stitching. Worth every penny, to me, especially now that I am DD'ing my Touring.

Old 12-21-2020 | 12:35 PM
wireless200
Rennlist Member

My 2 cents... I just bought a 991.2. Leather was not on my list of must haves. It had it. Agate gray which is more a dark brown. I love it. The dash looks so good and smell when you get in is intoxicating lol. Full leather will be on my almost must haves for future 911s. I could live without it but it sure is unexpectedly nice and I would pay the $3k for the option if I was buying new.
Old 12-21-2020 | 12:54 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Originally Posted by dgoldenz
Once you go full leather you can’t go back.
This right here....if you never had leather the plastic is fine as you don't know what you're missing....otherwise the interior is night and day....for me, having not had it, then having it, I would never buy a car without it....

Last edited by shapiroeric; 12-21-2020 at 02:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Leather on Doors and Dash - Opinions Please!