Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 Gt3rs vs 991.2 Gt3

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2020, 05:54 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 111 Posts

I just spent 3 days chasing GT4's, 991.1RS, 991.2RS, 997.1RS and 997.2RS's (and one TTS) around the Smokie Mountains (22 GT cars in total). About 700 miles of fairly aggressive / very aggressive mountain roads. Drivers ranged from professional drivers/instructors, all the way down to me as a pure and simple enthusiast with over 100,000 miles in a 911. My #1 observation - the driver dictates overall performance. I followed a pro driver in a GT4 and she schooled me in every way me except in a straight line! I could catch up a bit following the 997.1RS and 997.2RS, but no way I was a strong enough driver to pass either (if passing were part of our deal - which its not). I chased 991.2 GT3's and 991.2RS's and did not feel like I could not keep up their pace - and when I could not, it was me, not the car that fell short. I offer this self-deprecating review only to support what others have said above, pick PDK/Manual and then just go with what you like the looks of and find the best example you can afford. All of these GT cars are amazing machines, capable of incredible levels of performance that outpace all but truly elite drivers (and I am clearly not one of them!). Save a few $$ for professional instruction, and then enjoy the heck out of it.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:02 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 111 Posts

A nice picture from the top of the Smokies with most of the cars.

The following 3 users liked this post by bogey1:
bulldog_YYC (07-14-2020), fijibubba (07-14-2020), Porsche911GTS'16 (07-14-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 06:07 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 670 Likes on 402 Posts

OP - I too grew up driving and racing manuals, including motorcycles. I have never been disappointed with the feel and characteristics from the PDK in the RS. I don't miss the manual or long for it, etc. Obviously, this is very subjective and those who must have that as part of their driving experience simply buy something else. Nevertheless, the RS has been nothing short of astonishing to drive for me. It is the complete package and amazing to drive off the track too. I'm confident folks with a GT3 PDK feel the same.
The following 3 users liked this post by CubsFan1:
9914s (07-13-2020), AlecG (07-15-2020), darth g-f (07-13-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 06:53 PM
darth g-f
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the info everyone!

Someone mentionned the 991.1RS engine being problematic. I read that the RS had the newer G engine and was safe. Is the RS engine prone to problems?

How I see this now:
991.1 GT3 the sensible choice $ wise. 10yr warranty. Still fun and fast. Slowest one.
991.1 GT3RS, race car look, more exclusive, reliability to investigate.
991.2 GT3, as quick as a .1GT3RS on track but more road friendly. Might lose more $ in depreciation yet no one knows for sure.

First world problem I know, but each has their pros and few cons. I’ll need time to think about it.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:03 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,097 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by darth g-f

Someone mentionned the 991.1RS engine being problematic. I read that the RS had the newer G engine and was safe. Is the RS engine prone to problems?

How I see this now:
991.1 GT3 the sensible choice $ wise. 10yr warranty. Still fun and fast. Slowest one.
991.2 GT3, as quick as a .1GT3RS on track but more road friendly. Might lose more $ in depreciation yet no one knows for sure.

First world problem I know, but each has their pros and few cons. I’ll need time to think about it.
I don't think the 991.2-3 is more road friendly than the 991.1rs. It is more road friendly than the 991.2-3rs for sure. I think the 991.1-3rs might be the most compliant 991 gt, save the R.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:09 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,097 Likes on 544 Posts

I know everyone assumes a Gt3 is always going to be the better road car. Gen 2 to gen 2, the plain 3 is. Imo the gen 1 RS is surprisingly road compliant; more than any RS ever has been before or after it.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:44 PM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Received 841 Likes on 440 Posts

.2 has the motor, lower running cost, less showy/attention attracting and updated.2 look going for me
meanwhile for .1rs, like the old saying, RS is RS, can't deny the rs allure
Old 07-13-2020, 09:33 PM
Hex
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 54 Posts
Default migration

Originally Posted by Yc911Kid
.2 has the motor, lower running cost, less showy/attention attracting and updated.2 look going for me
meanwhile for .1rs, like the old saying, RS is RS, can't deny the rs allure
I just continued my migration from .2 GT3RS to .1 GT3RS to .2 GT3. All these cars are amazing machines, but I must say that I like my new to me manual .2 GT3 in RS Green the most of any of the 991 variants that I have owned. And, I have owned them all except for the 991 R. You really can't go wrong in a 991 GT car, but make sure you have/get a warranty with the car you choose, especially if it is a .1 variant. A CPO car can be an excellent choice, in terms of peace of mind, performance, and value, in this respect.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hex:
darth g-f (07-13-2020), fijibubba (07-14-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 11:06 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,604 Likes on 5,087 Posts

I'd get the 992 GT3
Old 07-13-2020, 11:12 PM
skafia
Rennlist Member

Received 822 Likes on 294 Posts

I came here for answers and found none.
The following users liked this post:
DFI (02-26-2023)
Old 07-13-2020, 11:28 PM
darth g-f
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
I don't think the 991.2-3 is more road friendly than the 991.1rs. It is more road friendly than the 991.2-3rs for sure. I think the 991.1-3rs might be the most compliant 991 gt, save the R.
Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
I know everyone assumes a Gt3 is always going to be the better road car. Gen 2 to gen 2, the plain 3 is. Imo the gen 1 RS is surprisingly road compliant; more than any RS ever has been before or after it.
Good to know. I’ll keep that in mind!
Old 07-14-2020, 12:08 AM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Hex
I just continued my migration from .2 GT3RS to .1 GT3RS to .2 GT3. All these cars are amazing machines, but I must say that I like my new to me manual .2 GT3 in RS Green the most of any of the 991 variants that I have owned. And, I have owned them all except for the 991 R. You really can't go wrong in a 991 GT car, but make sure you have/get a warranty with the car you choose, especially if it is a .1 variant. A CPO car can be an excellent choice, in terms of peace of mind, performance, and value, in this respect.
Just today i traded my 991.1 GT3RS for a 991.2 GT3 manual in RS Green!
The following 4 users liked this post by drl:
fijibubba (07-14-2020), jareda80 (07-14-2020), montoya (07-14-2020), NelsonF (07-14-2020)
Old 07-14-2020, 12:46 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,294 Likes on 681 Posts

Many things to unpack.
Manual vs PDK is obvious.
If pure track car, clearly RS

Keep in mind that the 4.0 in the .2 GT3 is a significantly better engine than the .1 RS.

.2 GT3 has 17 more hp according to Dundon when compared on same dyno.
Old 07-14-2020, 01:56 AM
bulldog_YYC
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by darth g-f

How I see this now:

I just went through the same considerations about 4 weeks ago and landed on a .1RS for the following reasons. Perhaps the following can be helpful. DISCLAIMER : my personal views only and people are free to disagree!

1) CPO Warranty was available and included as I picked up from a local dealer; you can extend for another 2 years giving 4 years of protection after purchase as long as car is not 10 years old.
2) I didn't have an issue with any reliability reports on the .1RS engine giving me worries. Any engine can fail as its a mechanical instrument, no matter how well engineered it is. Clearly .2's are an improved version but the .1 4.0 in the RS is different than the .1 3.8 in the GT3s. At the end of the day, there are no guarantees hence why I went with the CPO to provide coverage. This may be a consideration if you are risk averse/want more protection around mechanical breakdowns (recommend for any performance vehicle actually).
3) Intent: fun, weekend car that could see a track one day. I don't claim to be a track wanna be but love motorsports and love the idea of being able to drive to the track in the RS and generally be ready to go. Post track maintenance, tire changes, brakes (consider switching out PCCBs if track focused) etc is a different story and may be more expensive in the RS depending on where you get your work done / DIY. RS > GT3 stock for stock in this department.
4) Practicality: RS is limited but certainly not at a material disadvantage vs. the .2 GT3. I didn't know what to expect but other than getting the right entry/exit posture for the carbon seats (and the Ed guard protectors, must buy accessory!), the suspension is super easy to drive daily. I have never thought it was harsh. I had a 335 with coilovers that was a much stiffer/harsher ride than the .1 GT3RS, in my view. You have navigaton, AC, cruise control etc etc which provide enough creature comforts for most people. .1 RS's dont have apple car play or rear view cameras. I dont find this to be an issue as I have the rennline phone holder and can stream blue tooth. The engine sounds will be louder in the RS than the music (and generally what you will want to hear) so dont care. Backing into parking spots a little more challenging but I dont daily the car to take it on grocery runs so not an issue for me. In urban driven environments / daily driving, consider this limit or budget for one of many upgrades that can be retrofitted on. Make sure you get FAL if you are driving in urban environments / dont want to buy a new lip every season on either car.
5) PDK vs. manual - I was under the impression that PDK would always be a disappointment and thought I would regret the RS vs. the .2 GT3 in manual when it came down to choose between 2 cars. I was pleasantly surprised as to how good the PDK is in the ,1 RS (presumably even better in the .2 GT3/RS). I miss manual and its definately not the same but have really appreciated the performance features of the PDK, inc. launch control and general snappiness of shifting which allows you to really push the limits of the car fairly effortlessly. I don't regret PDK over manual at all in my purchase.
6) Value and depreciation - this is close to last on my list because the days of making money flipping these cars seems to be over. Perhaps they become collectors items at some point but the .2GT3RS will always be in more demand than the .1, but will potentially have more to depreciate as well. The .1GT3RS is great value (shocking, given the sticker prices) relative to the .2GT3 in my view based on my criteria. You will definitely lose some money if you sell in the future or trade in. If that is your primary objective, then take the cash and do something else with it vs. buying a car. The amount of enjoyment the car brings and smiles is worth whatever I may or may not suffer in depreciation.
7) Performance - the down force the aero provides on the RS is very noticeable. Less so on the street and both engines need to be wound up to high RPS to really perform for day to day driving, which is impossible except the odd on/off ramp sprint. However, in back roads in Mexico, I have never felt as confident as behind the RS in taking corners at unthinkable speeds and having the full feedback from the car and the confidence to push further or feedback to pull back; in any case, the car is super predictable and generally will drive on rails regardless of speed. Not sure how the stock .2 GT3 does here as the RS has multiples of downforce due to its more extreme aero. Engine wise, .2 GT3 is faster than .1 RS in a straight line but with a few mods (headers, exhaust, intake, ECU), can easy keep up if not outmatch the .2 for ~$20k in parts. If you are looking to be the fastest in the quarter mile, you are better off with a turbo + tune/downpipes vs. an NA engine. I find the most enjoyment is actually curves and going fast. Tough for most cars with more HP to keep up as, recon for both GT3 and the RS variants. But this is not a drag racing car to be clear nor will it pretend to be despite having the power/light weight structure to compete in a straight line with most performance cars.
8) Appearance - RS hands down in my view. GT3 equally alluring but in a different way. RS is just an animal waiting to go. GT3 is more polished and understated. 3RS has the wide body, air intakes on the sides and the fender vents, CF all over etc. For a fun, weekend car, it was the easy choice for me as thats what I was looking for. Both are incredibly beautiful vehicles with amazing design and engineering!

Good luck and report back on which car you go with!
The following 4 users liked this post by bulldog_YYC:
AlecG (07-14-2020), darth g-f (07-14-2020), fijibubba (07-14-2020), mr965 (07-15-2020)
Old 07-14-2020, 11:14 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by drl
Just today i traded my 991.1 GT3RS for a 991.2 GT3 manual in RS Green!
Nice score! You're going to love it! Since it wasn't on my list, I'll be adding it soon. Thanks for the info Derek!

Quick Reply: 991.1 Gt3rs vs 991.2 Gt3