Sponsored by:

Why so few 991.2 GT3s for sale?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2020, 07:59 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by krell
What happened to the deal you had to sell yours Jim?
I could not let it go. I have decided this is a long term keeper.

Longest I have kept out of my previous 4 toys
The following users liked this post:
Jbravo23 (05-30-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 09:05 AM
horns
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 104 Posts

I think people who have money to spare are simply looking for deals with everything going on right now. Then there are probably some aspirational shoppers that can't quite stretch to the higher prices, but are now hoping to score. It's a nice looking car (I personally like the color), but it isn't for everyone and it isn't light on options.

If you get tax credit in your state and have interest in another car, selling to the dealer might not be such a bad option. The last couple cars I got out of went to my Porsche dealer. They gave decent value, they get a chance to make a few more bucks, I got tax credit, a no hassle transaction, and I haven't had to play allocation and adm games on new cars.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:10 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by horns
I think people who have money to spare are simply looking for deals with everything going on right now. Then there are probably some aspirational shoppers that can't quite stretch to the higher prices, but are now hoping to score. It's a nice looking car (I personally like the color), but it isn't for everyone and it isn't light on options.

If you get tax credit in your state and have interest in another car, selling to the dealer might not be such a bad option. The last couple cars I got out of went to my Porsche dealer. They gave decent value, they get a chance to make a few more bucks, I got tax credit, a no hassle transaction, and I haven't had to play allocation and adm games on new cars.
The problem is that there are not as many deals/steals as one thinks. New car productions have been halted for months and there will be delays on future models. If I were a Dealership I do not blame them for standing their ground especially of "specialty"/desirable cars.

I tried to score a deal on an SUV since my Wife's lease expired and there were no deals to be had on 2020s across multiple car manufacturers
AlexCeres (05-30-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 12:36 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 268 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by mnawa
The birch green is my car. I’m really surprised by the auction results considering a week before my auction a 991.2 GT3 with 5,000 miles sold for over sticker. That particular car is a manual whereas mine is a PDK. I’ve been offered significantly more by dealers than $146k to sell it outright. Again, really puzzled by the results. Maybe someone here can shed some light?
You might have better luck on www.cars.com. I've sold 4 cars there and pleased with the results. I've never used BATs, as I'm not a fan of auctions as a seller (as a buyer, yes - that should tell you something).

For every buyer who LOVES your PTS color, there's another who probably hates it. PDK isn't helping either, despite the fact it's a great transmission for that car (just not as much fun IMO).

GLWS

Old 05-29-2020, 12:38 PM
mnawa
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by WernerE
You might have better luck on www.cars.com. I've sold 4 cars there and pleased with the results. I've never used BATs, as I'm not a fan of auctions as a seller (as a buyer, yes - that should tell you something).

For every buyer who LOVES your PTS color, there's another who probably hates it. PDK isn't helping either, despite the fact it's a great transmission for that car (just not as much fun IMO).

GLWS
Thanks for the feedback. I'll try www.cars.com when I'm ready to sell. For now I'm going to keep it and add a few more miles.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:43 PM
lloyd_christmas
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 15 Posts

The birch green is my car. I’m really surprised by the auction results considering a week before my auction a 991.2 GT3 with 5,000 miles sold for over sticker. That particular car is a manual whereas mine is a PDK. I’ve been offered significantly more by dealers than $146k to sell it outright. Again, really puzzled by the results. Maybe someone here can shed some light?
I think that auction last week was an anomaly and what happens when you happen to get two interested parties that get caught up in the emotion of the auction. I was in the market earlier this year and ended up with a PTS Touring, but during my searching, I came away with the impression that market pricing for a PDK GT3 was in the $145-$155k range. Heck, Porsche Southbay has been sitting on a PTS Slate Gray GT3 for more than a year that still isn’t moving at $179k on a ~$215k MSRP.
evilfij (05-30-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 12:57 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,216 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
The problem is that there are not as many deals/steals as one thinks. New car productions have been halted for months and there will be delays on future models. If I were a Dealership I do not blame them for standing their ground especially of "specialty"/desirable cars.

I tried to score a deal on an SUV since my Wife's lease expired and there were no deals to be had on 2020s across multiple car manufacturers
agree that production stopped but there are so many people out of work. Even though the car companies are currently resuming production, demand will be weaker this entire year. They will have to make some deals or they won’t sell/lease hardly anything for the next 12 months.
Old 05-29-2020, 01:00 PM
RUF RS
Burning Brakes

Received 309 Likes on 154 Posts

Your car is AMAZING. The color is GREAT, totally fits the car.....

I sold my 73RS on BAT, and while the experience with BAT was GREAT, and I would not use them again. IMHO, BAT 'sell' prices sit between a dealer trade in and full pop retail.

The thought is that you will get great exposure, and people around the world will bid; the reality is that many are lookers....and the bidders are all looking for a deal....PLUS, you have to deal with the 'Peanut Gallery' comments, which can be brutal and unnecessary. Why do people comment on cars they can't afford and are not interested in buying????

No reflection on your car.....it is OBVIOUSLY worth more, but at the moment of the auction....there was nobody willing to pay what it was worth.
MOST cars listed on BAT do NOT get top $$$$. Some do once in a while....when everything aligns perfectly....but for the most part, the thought of BAT is usually better than the reality when it comes to PRICE.
Old 05-29-2020, 01:02 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,216 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by lloyd_christmas
. I was in the market earlier this year and ended up with a PTS Touring, but during my searching, I came away with the impression that market pricing for a PDK GT3 was in the $145-$155k range. Heck, Porsche Southbay has been sitting on a PTS Slate Gray GT3 for more than a year that still isn’t moving at $179k on a ~$215k MSRP.
That is also what happens when you waste a PTS slot on Grey. The extra cost isn’t worth it unless it’s a fun PTS color.
The following 4 users liked this post by Drifting:
josephvman (05-30-2020), NA991NY (08-19-2020), RockyTopTenn (06-02-2020), stpatsday (05-30-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 01:21 PM
lloyd_christmas
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RUF RS
Your car is AMAZING. The color is GREAT, totally fits the car.....

I sold my 73RS on BAT, and while the experience with BAT was GREAT, and I would not use them again. IMHO, BAT 'sell' prices sit between a dealer trade in and full pop retail.

The thought is that you will get great exposure, and people around the world will bid; the reality is that many are lookers....and the bidders are all looking for a deal....PLUS, you have to deal with the 'Peanut Gallery' comments, which can be brutal and unnecessary. Why do people comment on cars they can't afford and are not interested in buying????

No reflection on your car.....it is OBVIOUSLY worth more, but at the moment of the auction....there was nobody willing to pay what it was worth.
MOST cars listed on BAT do NOT get top $$$$. Some do once in a while....when everything aligns perfectly....but for the most part, the thought of BAT is usually better than the reality when it comes to PRICE.
Agree completely. BAT’s selling point is CONVENIENCE, not TOP DOLLAR
Old 05-30-2020, 08:11 AM
stpatsday
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts

You guys have raised some great points, e.g., Bring A Trailer. This has not morphed into yet another value thread; thank you! Here’s my top 3 reasons:

1. NO NEW SHINEY OBJECT. The 992 GT3 is not released yet. And I am guessing not too many of us reading this thread care or are ‘pushing for an allocation’ for the upcoming 992 GT3 car. But we know of someone who is or will. The stock market cycle has given birth to a number of new GT car buyers; and these are not necessarily ‘Porsche Enthusiasts’. We have all seen the threads: ‘Need Help: Buy Lambo or GT3?’. In my opinion, you’re not an enthusiast just because you need to be first at cars & coffee to own the newest model exotic car. Case in point, my son works at Porsche and he tells a story of an older couple who have an order in for the new Cayman GT4. They have to have the newest GT car model and must take delivery early in the production run. Recently the Zeffenhausen factory was shutdown and production delayed. The couple insisted on being updated regularly on delivery of their baby. After three weeks passed by without a phone call from the dealer salesman during the Germany shutdown; they called the GM to complain and threaten to pull their order. The GM kindly told them to hit the bricks, and that the dealership would gladly take delivery of their cancelled order. The GM was actually relieved to be rid of this customer, as they are a PIA, on their third P-Car dealership in the greater Philadelphia area and are never happy. Unless they have the new shiny object.
2. THE CORONA. As others have said, the virus crisis has obviously impeded the sales of used and new cars. Also, no more cars & coffee or track events for many of us. I find it interesting what we can and cannot do under the rules of corona. Case in point. Locally we have an enthusiast who organizes cars & coffee and has taken it upon himself to send emails and post a website for events. Super nice guy. Six weeks ago he attempted to get a group of cars to do a drive by to show support for a father with a special child celebrating a birthday. He wanted cars to drive by the house and honk or wave to the young boy. Well, when the “Karen Nation” https://www.zerohedge.com/personal-f...e-karen-nation got wind of this idea, they publicly shamed the guy for selfishly putting everyone at risk and for not obeying the shelter in place rules. So much shaming, he felt the pressure and sent an email cancelling. I only bring this up because this was barely 6 weeks ago! It’s hard to imagine how much things have changed recently. Likely today, he would be okay to organize a line of cars, with only a driver inside, to pass slowly outside a house for a special child’s birthday. We are all living under the Rules of The Corona; constantly moving bogey.
3. THIS IS A FANTASTIC CAR! Whether you have the PDK or 6-speed like i do, this car is really special. The motor, the transmission, the chassis. Wow. Keep driving...
Old 05-30-2020, 12:17 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
That is also what happens when you waste a PTS slot on Grey. The extra cost isn’t worth it unless it’s a fun PTS color.
There's an a** for every seat. Fact remains that with over 400 PTS models produced for the GT3 they don't have the cachet of years past. So there really isn't a big price premium for any of the colors now. Maybe 5K and they got more but had to wait a long time. BTW, your idea of fun is another person's idea of nausea.
The following 5 users liked this post by montoya:
AlexCeres (05-30-2020), evilfij (05-30-2020), TexasPorschelover (05-30-2020), thigos (06-04-2020), WernerE (05-31-2020)
Old 05-30-2020, 02:07 PM
silvertige
Pro

Received 195 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by lloyd_christmas
I think that auction last week was an anomaly and what happens when you happen to get two interested parties that get caught up in the emotion of the auction. I was in the market earlier this year and ended up with a PTS Touring, but during my searching, I came away with the impression that market pricing for a PDK GT3 was in the $145-$155k range. Heck, Porsche Southbay has been sitting on a PTS Slate Gray GT3 for more than a year that still isn’t moving at $179k on a ~$215k MSRP.
And that car sold in the past couple of days. Interesting times....
Old 05-30-2020, 04:02 PM
Rgwirtz
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 63 Posts

I bought a 991.2 6MT winged GT Silver from Porsche South Shore and I couldn’t be happier. I couldn’t find a touring at the time I was looking, but the wing has really grown on me. South Shore now has a beautiful red touring. https://www.porscheofsouthshore.com/...ac2a95js176570

Worth looking at.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rgwirtz:
evilfij (05-30-2020), fjpdds (05-31-2020)
Old 05-30-2020, 06:56 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 300 Likes on 186 Posts

PDK does not hurt the price like everyone thinks. BAT is like any other auction, you need two guys in the "room" that have to have that car. If you don't the bids won't be there. The manual is for the drivers that don't want anything else. There are way more people that don't care about having a manual and/or can't drive one. The market price should theoretically be better on a PDK as there should be more demand. Yes probably greets manuals will juice that price a little, but not enough to warrant that much more, if at all, than a PDK.

THe birch green just didn't have the buyers in the room so to speak.

Just my humble opinion. I mean i still have my original 991.1. What does that say about me.

Quick Reply: Why so few 991.2 GT3s for sale?