Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else depressed about owning a GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 04:05 PM
Socialpro
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

I've already hit all of my childhood 'grails' in the past few years.

My values and priorities now changed over time - and instead thinking that 'this one is it' - I've got X amount of years (+/- 40) of life left to 'try them all'. At 1 new toy a year, that's at best only 40 more toys in my life time -- i.e. perspectively NOT that many left to go.

After satisfying all of my itches - now it's just new values to appreciate and try anything from more to less modern and everything in between as there is a PRO and a CON to be had with every car out there.

I now try to switch up my toys based on a specific spec that I want to cross off - NA V12, GT car, PDK, Manual, V8 NA, V8 TT, RWD/AWD, 2 door/4 door, air cooled / water cooled, bright colored - neutral - dark colored, and every combination in between -- my list is now endless, and I have WAYS to go!!

There is no being 'depressed' with cars, or thinking there is nowhere to go.

I'm married to one wife - but the beauty of cars is you can be in and out of them with relative ease to try all the flavors of the rainbow
The following 5 users liked this post by Socialpro:
AlexCeres (05-17-2020), alexisthemovie (05-19-2020), atlrvr (05-16-2020), Porsche911GTS'16 (05-16-2020), twospyders (05-16-2020)
Old 05-16-2020, 05:05 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 174 Posts

^Funny- in my sports cars I have no desire to try out new turbo engines, hybrids or cars with multi-speed auto dual clutch transmissions. So that leaves me down to a few cars left and I have the ones I want for now.
Old 05-16-2020, 06:55 PM
Chris-911
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Einmalig
Interesting insights on owning something special and recognizing it vs. always looking for the next new thing.

I think many of us have a tendency to aspire to more power, better handling, newer designs, etc. I’ve been lucky enough to own several 911s over the past 30 years and you don’t always realize how special or timeless a car is until years after you’ve sold it for a newer model. Just ask anyone who traded their curvaceous, air cooled 993 on blind faith for a new slab sided, water cooled 996. And sometimes you just know how good a car will be even while you’re placing the order and decide to add some extra special options because you know it will be a keeper.

I feel that way about my 991.2 GT3 6 speed for a few reasons. In absolute terms, the car’s engine, gearbox and handling are perfectly balanced and it’s interior and exterior design is tasteful, well executed and beautifully proportioned. These cars are also the last of their kind to have analog instruments which in my opinion cannot be overstated. Even something as trivial as a door handle design can change the character of an automobile and the way it makes its owner feel every time it’s seen or touched.

My Audi Q8 has virtual instruments and multiple touch screens that suit the technology statement of that Brand and Model. That said, I can promise you that I won’t be removing my mechanical Daytona to strap on an Apple Watch anytime soon. I understand the difference between technology for the sake of progress and an enduring design element that adds to the enjoyment of an iconic model. Engineers and designers are always pushing boundaries, but the best of them also appreciate that the way a car makes you feel is equally important to it’s measured performance.

As good as all future GT3s will certainly be, there will always will be a distinction made between the more analog and the more digital models. When is a great car good enough to hold onto? That’s a question every owner will have to decide for themselves. Some of us will remain on this forum for the next few years perfectly content to put more miles on what we already have while others will move on to the 992 seeking the next great GT3.
Well stated.
Old 05-16-2020, 07:01 PM
Chris-911
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
^Funny- in my sports cars I have no desire to try out new turbo engines, hybrids or cars with multi-speed auto dual clutch transmissions. So that leaves me down to a few cars left and I have the ones I want for now.
That is the way I too am feeling lately. For the past several decades the next thing was usually better and you get excited about it and look forward to it. But for some reason I just don’t feel that way about cars lately, and it’s kind of sad. Maybe it’s all the new stringent government regulation, and the push to make everything more hybrid, more electric, more quiet, more digital in every way. Something is being lost along the way. I guess the bright side is I will end up saving a lot of money. For the past 20 years I have been buying a new car every 2 years, always excited about the next thing, and now I feel like I want to hold on to what I have because in my view, for the first time I can remember, it seems “better” than what is coming (and I am not talking about horsepower)...
The following 2 users liked this post by Chris-911:
alexisthemovie (05-19-2020), montoya (05-16-2020)
Old 05-16-2020, 07:10 PM
Berjar
Racer

Received 369 Likes on 142 Posts

I sat in the 992 yesterday and if the 992 GT3 interior is like the 992 I think it is a step back for a drivers car. As a GT car the interior is a step forward but that is not what I buy a 911 for. I like the front of the 992 but I really don't like the back. I wil reserve judgement until the 992 GT3 but I have a feeling i will not be desiring it like I did the 991.2. The depressing part for me is I can see the writing on the wall. 911 GT3 NA without filters is already or soon will be a thing of the past.
The following 2 users liked this post by Berjar:
Dellis (05-16-2020), Patrick Bateman (05-19-2020)
Old 05-16-2020, 07:50 PM
azzurri
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 95 Posts

To the OP, I can sympthasize with the original point and thought. I would agree with the feeling and sentiment with the ownership on the model.
Having said that, I think as with houses or whatever else...there is always another car or another option that manifests that can be your next dream. Those things don't make the GT3 or whatever car it is less meaningful or good. The car is great and grand, but I think if you let your imagination run wild there is another option that will yank your chain and creep into your everyday thoughts at some point, whether it be a historic reference of some sort (the always wanted that one and can now), or the next greatest thing that you hadn't entertained ever before and is a new direction. With respect to the GT3, I think it's not a question of going down if looking at other options, it's a question of moving laterally into new territory, which may give you different ownership or driving experiences. That's the beauty of all of this madness we seem to enjoy here.
The following users liked this post:
chance6 (05-18-2020)
Old 05-16-2020, 08:00 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by catdog2
Hahahhaha, you think 997GT3 owners thought the same?
Sit down, drink a tea and relax, there will alway be better...
We might be in a late 60s, 70/71 era of cars where regulations make newer cars less good. 1970 (and 71 for mopar as it kept the hemi) was peak muscle. LS6 454, 426 hemi, ram air IV Pontiac, SCJ Ford in 1970 were all 400hp plus, in five years, the performance was all gone. A similar period was up to 95 in the US (and a bit later elsewhere and for a few cars in the US). So too with diesel pick ups. Nothing after 07 is any good (or 02 when ford killed the 7.3 for fords).

Now one might say a new demon is faster and better than a 1970 hemi challenger, but you can’t find a new car like a 70 hemi (or an air cooled 993 or a Diesel 7.3/12 valve/dirtymax). Will people have the same view of pre-OPF NA GT porsches? Will the newer cars be as reliable? Did we already reach peak with mezger 4.0 997 GT3RS? It seems clear the market places more value on 997 RS v. 991 RS, but the GT3 kept the manual so 991.2 GT3 might be peak GT3. The manual will live on for a while, but eventually either safety regs or emission regs will kill it off. All the previous declines were gradual with peak vehicle a few years before the good cars stopped, but no one wants a 72 over a 70 chevelle now.

Me, I don’t need new cars, so if there is nothing worth buying from here on, that is fine.
RockyTopTenn (05-19-2020)
Old 05-16-2020, 08:18 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 289 Posts

I cannot fathom thinking about it as much as most of you. I drive when I can and if it sits idle for too long it goes away for something else. Something else could be an empty garage bay. Well, empty where that one was parked.
Old 05-16-2020, 09:29 PM
Socialpro
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by azzurri
To the OP, I can sympthasize with the original point and thought. I would agree with the feeling and sentiment with the ownership on the model.
Having said that, I think as with houses or whatever else...there is always another car or another option that manifests that can be your next dream. Those things don't make the GT3 or whatever car it is less meaningful or good. The car is great and grand, but I think if you let your imagination run wild there is another option that will yank your chain and creep into your everyday thoughts at some point, whether it be a historic reference of some sort (the always wanted that one and can now), or the next greatest thing that you hadn't entertained ever before and is a new direction. With respect to the GT3, I think it's not a question of going down if looking at other options, it's a question of moving laterally into new territory, which may give you different ownership or driving experiences. That's the beauty of all of this madness we seem to enjoy here.
Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
I cannot fathom thinking about it as much as most of you. I drive when I can and if it sits idle for too long it goes away for something else. Something else could be an empty garage bay. Well, empty where that one was parked.
+1 on both.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:31 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

Don’t worry you can always buy a speedster!
twospyders (05-16-2020)
Old 05-17-2020, 12:41 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,020 Likes on 646 Posts

What is truly depressing about this thread - is that people on here seem to think the pinnacle of achievement is a car. In this time, aspiring to help others and then actually doing it is something to be proud of. Owning a Porsche is a big who cares.
AlexCeres (05-17-2020)
Old 05-17-2020, 01:22 AM
Jzips
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

I was introduced to Porsches thru my dad”s ownership of a 356 roadster back in the 90s. My first Porsche was a 1969 911E 12 years ago. Since then I got a 964, an ‘87 Carrera, a 991.2 C2S, and a 991.1 GT3. I’ve come to love each in its own way (except for the C2S, which was fine but a little automated). I get annoyed when I read comments on this forum about one GT car being so much a step forward from another, etc. I feel like those kinds of comments reveal a lack of appreciation for these vehicles. I get just as big a smile from my 87 Carrera as I do from my 28 years newer GT3. Appreciating the differences, the evolution of the vehicle, the nuances of each, is immense fun. I’m starting to lust not for a newer GT car but to go back in time to a 997 GT3 or GT3RS.
evilfij (05-17-2020)
Old 05-17-2020, 03:00 AM
Berjar
Racer

Received 369 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
What is truly depressing about this thread - is that people on here seem to think the pinnacle of achievement is a car. In this time, aspiring to help others and then actually doing it is something to be proud of. Owning a Porsche is a big who cares.
I don't think we are discussing our major life aspirations. I help my family including my disabled 24 year old son, my friends, my employees and many others. Many people need things from me and I am blessed to be able to give it. My Porsche gives to me pure joy and an escape from the stresses of life. The topic is if we are little depressed because the 992 GT3 will not be as desirable as the 991.2. Nothing more. If anyone is interested, my ultimate life aspiration is to love the Lord and love others as I would like to be loved myself.
The following 10 users liked this post by Berjar:
96redLT4 (05-23-2020), arashiyama (06-22-2020), BruceT (05-18-2020), chance6 (05-18-2020), cox1974 (05-17-2020), Eht81 (05-18-2020), Einmalig (05-17-2020), IPA1 (12-01-2022), Porsche911GTS'16 (05-17-2020), TahouHots (05-22-2020) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-17-2020, 03:20 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,020 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Berjar
I don't think we are discussing our major life aspirations. I help my family including my disabled 24 year old son, my friends, my employees and many others. Many people need things from me and I am blessed to be able to give it. My Porsche gives to me pure joy and an escape from the stresses of life. The topic is if we are little depressed because the 992 GT3 will not be as desirable as the 991.2. Nothing more. If anyone is interested, my ultimate life aspiration is to love the Lord and love others as I would like to be loved myself.
Excellent - glad you clarified it.
Old 05-17-2020, 03:53 AM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 670 Likes on 402 Posts

With all due respect, there was no clarification warranted. This is a Porsche forum, what does a person anticipate they will find here. There are other outlets available to express perspectives and opinions about what's happening due to the pandemic. People come here to talk about cars, primarily Porsche.

The following 6 users liked this post by CubsFan1:
brucebca (05-29-2020), destaccado (05-21-2020), kfmcmahon (05-17-2020), SantaFePorsche (05-19-2020), TahouHots (05-22-2020), VintageRacer (05-20-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: Anyone else depressed about owning a GT3?