Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911R values

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2020, 02:21 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 974 Likes on 424 Posts

My suggestion, skip this car and wait for one with SMFW and front lift.

If you are planning on driving this car a lot, having the front lift will help you out tremendously. I would stay away from any 911R without SMFW. Unfortunately, a lot of the original 911R owners skipped the SMFW because they didn't have the patience to wait for their cars. The take rate on the 911R with SMFW was 62%, which means there are 38% of the 991 cars out there without the SMFW. This was a big mistake on their part, just like buying the 918 Spyder without the Weissach package

Originally Posted by Monaco2711
Hello!

I am the happy owner of several sports cars (not only Porsche), and 3-4 months ago I took delivery of my wonderful pts forest green gt3rs 991.2.
I want to purchase a 911r for everyday commuting., and because I love everything about it.

Now, I have been offered one with 3500km, no fron lift, and no single mass fly wheel.
I drive through traffic everyday, which means that it is probably better for me to have a dual mass fly wheel as it is less noisy. Reason why my dealer suggests do just buy a 991 touring and save money but hey, I love the looks of the R since the first day it came out, and I already have a 991.2 Gt3rs.

Coming to the price. I have been asked 250.000 euros for the car. Initially I was like ok this is a good deal but having read quite a lot around, I understand that it really does make a lot of difference in terms of buying price of the car wether it has the single mass fly wheel or not. I want to specify once again, that I am not buying the car for any sort of long term speculation, as I intend on driving it everyday, but of course I wouldn't mind buying at a price for which I manage to put many miles on the car and not loose 50k the day after. Sorry for mentioning numbers so often, I know it's not fancy but it is what it is and I need advise

What do you think would be a fair price for this vehicle in order to be able to put many miles on it and one day not necessarily loose a bunch on it?

Thanks,
Marco
The following users liked this post:
Garydose (04-25-2020)
Old 04-22-2020, 02:29 PM
MacFever
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

I would say, buy this car and convert it to pdk
That would be a one of a kind
Old 04-22-2020, 02:54 PM
mehoff
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ajw45
Is it a big deal to just add the smfw? Seems like it should be no problem to just swap in the factory part so given limited available cars this is one of the options that actually shouldn't matter? Or is there something I'm missing?
I can’t compare on the R, but on race cars the difference is night and day; I’d never consider an R without SMFW

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
You can add for under $10k, I believe. Although, I've never known it to be done. In my experience, I think the SMFW provides a more direct throttle response. Clear difference in feel between GT3/Speedster and 911R throttle response. 911R is more direct and immediate. I'm no mechanic, so I can't tell you if the SMFW is the culprit or not. I can just tell you that there's a notable difference in feel between cars.
Since I’d be buying an R to drive and not as an investment, I’d have no problem buying one not spec’ed with SMFW and replacing.....but the value differential is compounded on the sell side and, as discussed above, I think that math doesn’t work for owners that aren’t actively trying to sell.
Old 04-22-2020, 02:57 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 974 Likes on 424 Posts

It's not just the sound. When you drive fast, you tend to shift gears no? You go up a gear and you go down a gear. SMFW makes the car spool up faster, revs quicker. After you tried a car with SMFW, driving the same car with a DMFW is like having sex with the condom on.

Sure, it does save weight and make the car feel a little bit more agile, and it does make a different sound when at very low speeds but I would be curious to know if the sound is much different when you are pushing the car (compared to a double mass). Regardless, apparently the single mass does make a lot of difference on the price of the car. At least this is what I am experiencing during my research
Old 04-22-2020, 06:13 PM
Monaco2711

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got it...I guess i'll just buy a touring
Pisses me off because this car I was negotiating , owned by a collector friend of mine that really takes care of his vehicles, wseemed like a good deal for me if I could bring down the price further (220-230), but apparently the smfw is of major importance...I don't want to be stuck with a car that's impossible to sell after I put many miles on it

Thanks for your help
wru (04-22-2020)
Old 04-22-2020, 06:46 PM
mehoff
Rennlist Member

Got it...I guess i'll just buy a touring
Pisses me off because this car I was negotiating , owned by a collector friend of mine that really takes care of his vehicles, wseemed like a good deal for me if I could bring down the price further (220-230), but apparently the smfw is of major importance...I don't want to be stuck with a car that's impossible to sell after I put many miles on it

Thanks for your help
The car will most certainly not be impossible to sell, you’ll just have to be realistic on value. If you are passing because of residual concerns, you’ll take a bigger financial hit on a touring than you will an R. Will the R continue to go down in price? Probably, but it I don’t think it will ever be a $150k car.

I buy to hold. Once it hits my garage the “residual” value is $0.
Mattatares (08-01-2021)
Old 04-22-2020, 07:07 PM
Monaco2711

Originally Posted by mehoff
The car will most certainly not be impossible to sell, you’ll just have to be realistic on value. If you are passing because of residual concerns, you’ll take a bigger financial hit on a touring than you will an R. Will the R continue to go down in price? Probably, but it I don’t think it will ever be a $150k car.

I buy to hold. Once it hits my garage the “residual” value is $0.

I never bought cars thinking about how much I will loose once I sell them, only because as of today I was lucky enough to buy retail all my cars.
I'm probably the only person who has put 35.000km on my 458 speciale aperta, and other limited cars I have. The sp1 Monza for example, I will drive whenever I feel like it whilst most of them won't even reach 20km.
I completely agree with you,but I am not paying 300k, or 275 for a 911r, because I do not believe it is worth so much money.
See, I love the R. I always loved it since the moment it came out and I always felt it would stay iconic. But I've never been about hype and premiums.
The R I have been offered has a stunning spec and low mileage, but no smfw and lift. Honestly don't know what to do because as you said, a touring is great but it grows older quickly compared to an R and will never be iconic or have the style and class of a 911r!!!!!!!
Old 04-22-2020, 07:36 PM
mehoff
Rennlist Member

1) I'm probably the only person who has put 35.000km on my 458 speciale aperta, and other limited cars I have. The sp1 Monza for example, I will drive whenever I feel like it whilst most of them won't even reach 20km.
2) I completely agree with you,but I am not paying 300k, or 275 for a 911r, because I do not believe it is worth so much money.
3)See, I love the R. I always loved it since the moment it came out and I always felt it would stay iconic. But I've never been about hype and premiums.
You, sir, are my kind of people!
Old 04-23-2020, 04:52 AM
MacFever
Racer

Buy it and when you want to sell it in the future contact me !
I dont mind high mileage cars (my E46 csl has 150000 km)
I will be looking to convert an R to pdk some day so SMFW of no concern to me ;-)
Old 04-23-2020, 06:15 AM
Monaco2711

Originally Posted by mehoff
You, sir, are my kind of people!
Old 04-23-2020, 06:17 AM
Monaco2711

Originally Posted by MacFever
Buy it and when you want to sell it in the future contact me !
I dont mind high mileage cars (my E46 csl has 150000 km)
I will be looking to convert an R to pdk some day so SMFW of no concern to me ;-)

Done
I'll think about it a little longer, maybe try and offer him list price or something like 10k on top. Lets see, i'll keep you posted

I've driven quite a few cars but never an R, do you think the drive is really worth it even without the smfw?
Old 04-23-2020, 07:42 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,086 Likes on 622 Posts

I've driven quite a few cars but never an R, do you think the drive is really worth it even without the smfw?
I'm a fan of the R (but also the .2GT3T). Personally I wouldn't consider an R w/o the SMFW. I think it's one of the things that makes the R distinct. And a SMFW changes the driving experience for sure.
Old 04-23-2020, 07:44 AM
MacFever
Racer

Yes but for €10000 you can change to SMFW, no ?
Old 04-23-2020, 07:55 AM
Monaco2711

Originally Posted by MacFever
Yes but for €10000 you can change to SMFW, no ?
Yes you can, but I wouldn't buy a car that has done such change after 3-4000km, and without porsche warranty..you never know
Thing is, market spread difference between a smfw car and a dmfw car goes from 50-100k, that's f+++++ ridiculous for me!!!!
Old 04-23-2020, 09:11 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

Buy a Touring!!!

Better engine and quite cheaper.

Just read what everyone is writing - w/o the SMWF most would not buy the car so that says it all. I find this all quite funny if that is what these "R" Owners are hanging their hats on. I will take the better engine all day long

There is a new thread from GMG about a .1 RS that had to have the engine replaced because of the same issues the .1 GT3 is suffering - and this same Engine is in the "R" w/o the extended Warranty

Well I will quote the man himself as this is a known issue for GT3's and GT3RS's from 2014-2016:

Dr. Walliser told the group that the high-RPM misfire issue could be traced to a metallurgical defect in certain batches of "finger followers," a pivoting rocker arm in the valvetrain. Depending on driving style, finger followers with these defects are prone to increased wear, which, combined with many other factors, can lead to the high-rpm misfires experienced by certain owners.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jimmy-D:
Garydose (04-25-2020), Porsche911GTS'16 (04-23-2020), WernerE (04-23-2020)

Quick Reply: 911R values