Sponsored by:

New BAT GT3-engine trim needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 07:01 PM
CobaltCr
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
If an owner had the bumper cover off for an exhaust or filter service some of the hardware may have been misplaced. Rather than making a trip to the dealer for the appropriate parts the owner may have just sourced 'if it fits it works' hardware from his local hardware store. Wouldn't be the first time I've seen this behavior.
there is no reason at all from a service perspective or exhaust perspective to remove the bump stops for the engine cover or remove the carbon trim.
Old 04-19-2020, 07:32 PM
dewilmoth
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 83 Posts

Is the wire loom going from the car to the lid correct? It looks off in the pic to me, but I don't have a GT3 to compare against. On my RS it has an accordion looking rubber loom covering the wires.
Old 04-20-2020, 02:53 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by CobaltCr
there is no reason at all from a service perspective or exhaust perspective to remove the bump stops for the engine cover or remove the carbon trim.
Unless you had never worked on a Porsche before - that is not a warm fuzzy feeling
Old 04-21-2020, 02:04 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

I was watching the action, I feel you got a great deal on a great car!!

That being said, for this price, they should have fixed the trim before the auction. Yeah, it's very easy to loose the bolts and trim pieces. The bumper has to come off for just about any service. I have taken mine off a few times now and I just keep all the parts in a magnetic tray. That being said, you don't have to remove the upper side trim pieces, and the trim on the top of the rear bumper vent also does not come off. That part is a bit weird.

What I see....
You need the 2 wings on either side of the fan.
2 new tail light bolts (wonder if the black bolts come from another place and are now missing?)
2 black plastic covers *(these go over the black bolts once replaced)
1 upper trim over the bumper vent.

Have fun with the car!!
Old 04-21-2020, 03:22 PM
stephen k
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Could be that the dealer did serviced the engine filters which are behind the bumper and did a very unsatisfactory job putting it back together..
Old 04-21-2020, 03:27 PM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 369 Posts

nice color and good buy
enjoy in good health!
Old 04-21-2020, 03:33 PM
CobaltCr
Racer

Originally Posted by stephen k
Could be that the dealer did serviced the engine filters which are behind the bumper and did a very unsatisfactory job putting it back together..
again, the parts that are broken/missing/wrong should not be removed to do any service. rear cover comes off by removing the tail lights (two silver screws) then a bunch of screws around the perimiter. the trim between the grill and the carbon piece does not get removed. the carbon piece does not get removed. the small plastic cover on the right of the engine bay does not need to come out and you don't need to pull on the plastic cover by the oil cap hard enough to break it because it does not need to come off. of the dealer lost all the parts during the service i would wonder about the quality of the service. i find it bizarre that all these parts are missing or have been replaced because it implies an accident or a very unskilled person working on the car. either way not good. whether the car is mechanically and/or structurally sound cannot be determined from the pic. i would investigate if I were the OP.
Old 04-22-2020, 09:38 AM
itrsteve
Rennlist Member

Received 757 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by CobaltCr
again, the parts that are broken/missing/wrong should not be removed to do any service. rear cover comes off by removing the tail lights (two silver screws) then a bunch of screws around the perimiter. the trim between the grill and the carbon piece does not get removed. the carbon piece does not get removed. the small plastic cover on the right of the engine bay does not need to come out and you don't need to pull on the plastic cover by the oil cap hard enough to break it because it does not need to come off. of the dealer lost all the parts during the service i would wonder about the quality of the service. i find it bizarre that all these parts are missing or have been replaced because it implies an accident or a very unskilled person working on the car. either way not good. whether the car is mechanically and/or structurally sound cannot be determined from the pic. i would investigate if I were the OP.
So what you’re saying is that the safest assumption here is that the car was crumpled into bits, likely on fire then nearly flawlessly rebuilt had they not forgot the final (and cheapest) piece.

They would have gotten away with it if it wasn’t for those pesky trim pieces too. Rats!
Old 04-22-2020, 11:29 AM
CobaltCr
Racer

Originally Posted by itrsteve
So what you’re saying is that the safest assumption here is that the car was crumpled into bits, likely on fire then nearly flawlessly rebuilt had they not forgot the final (and cheapest) piece.

They would have gotten away with it if it wasn’t for those pesky trim pieces too. Rats!
lol. all i'm saying is that something happened that wasn't routine service. and how do you know it's flawless? from internet pictures and a BAT add?
Old 04-22-2020, 08:37 PM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Received 219 Likes on 119 Posts

Hopefully it was just a careless tech that didn't know what he's doing when taking the rear bumper off for air filter change, ecu change, exhaust work (actually you don't need to pull bumper to change either the center or side mufflers), etc. Don't sweat too much OP, get trim pieces on both side and start enjoying the car.
Old 04-24-2020, 05:20 AM
Reidar94
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it just me or are the hinges that attach the lid to the body a different color? More golden tone to it?
Old 04-24-2020, 02:47 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Reidar94

Is it just me or are the hinges that attach the lid to the body a different color? More golden tone to it?

Great eye! The OEM hinges are body colored along with the screws. Something happened to change out the hinges, they come like this as replacements. The hinges have in fact been replaced.

How do I know that? Well there is another thread where the newer cars come with carbon fiber hinges and lo longer have the gas struts. I ordered a set, and they sent me the original hinges, that look just like these.
The following users liked this post:
Perimeter (04-25-2020)

Quick Reply: New BAT GT3-engine trim needed