GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 01:10 PM
A418t81
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by hashash
a small correction : the Turbo has two turbos not one. Tks
There is even more correction to be had. The 9A2 engine in the GTS actually uses "conventional" turbos with a standard puck style wastegate. The Turbo and Turbo S use VTG or variable turbine geometry turbos. These are quite different than anything else on the market and actually use vanes to vary the angle of attack on the turbine wheel exducer to control the boost pressure. There is no wastegate.
Old 04-21-2020, 02:08 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 811 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by chance6
100% right, but also like to get the thoughts from 3RS owners.

“analyzed to tears” - lmao !
Ok...here’s my thought...see below.

Analyze this.

GT3RS everyday and twice on Sundays. You have a dd already.
The following users liked this post:
catdog2 (04-24-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 02:15 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

This may help. Although its a review of the .1GT3RS just imagine what he'd say on a full review of the .2?

If you haven't seen this you should watch it. Epic review. I still watch it from time to time. Still makes me grin ear to ear.

I dare you to buy the TT/TTS after watching this. I double dog dare you.
Old 04-21-2020, 03:51 PM
blabus
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by A418t81
There is even more correction to be had. The 9A2 engine in the GTS actually uses "conventional" turbos with a standard puck style wastegate. The Turbo and Turbo S use VTG or variable turbine geometry turbos. These are quite different than anything else on the market and actually use vanes to vary the angle of attack on the turbine wheel exducer to control the boost pressure. There is no wastegate.
Haha amazing, I've had no less than three people tell me the Turbo/Turbo S has a single turbo, one of which was a Porsche sales rep. Goes to show I should do my own research. If that's the case, I assume the variable turbine is what accounts for the perceived difference in turbo lag between the Turbo and GTS?
Old 04-21-2020, 04:47 PM
A418t81
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by blabus
Haha amazing, I've had no less than three people tell me the Turbo/Turbo S has a single turbo, one of which was a Porsche sales rep. Goes to show I should do my own research. If that's the case, I assume the variable turbine is what accounts for the perceived difference in turbo lag between the Turbo and GTS?
Supposedly there is less lag with the VTGs, all other variables held constant, than with the conventional style turbos. I'm not sure I buy that personally as these turbos are also seen in the 997 generation as well. There are very limited options for the hot side of these turbos as they are basically one-off designs and mostly seen in the diesel world. There are plenty of aftermarket options with conventional wastegate and state of the art aero that appear to spool up as fast while simultaneously providing greater flow. One of the main downsides of the VTG setup is that all those vanes are sitting in the exhaust flow and act as a restriction as flow starts to become greater than the narrow window for which they were designed to work very efficiently in.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:21 PM
blabus
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by A418t81
Supposedly there is less lag with the VTGs, all other variables held constant, than with the conventional style turbos. I'm not sure I buy that personally as these turbos are also seen in the 997 generation as well. There are very limited options for the hot side of these turbos as they are basically one-off designs and mostly seen in the diesel world. There are plenty of aftermarket options with conventional wastegate and state of the art aero that appear to spool up as fast while simultaneously providing greater flow. One of the main downsides of the VTG setup is that all those vanes are sitting in the exhaust flow and act as a restriction as flow starts to become greater than the narrow window for which they were designed to work very efficiently in.
Interesting, now I'm starting to think the turbo lag I perceived when test driving the Turbo S was mostly placebo- the sales rep told me to expect it before I drove it, so I did.
Old 04-21-2020, 06:10 PM
flyjets
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 131 Posts

Turbo lag below 3K is there it's slight but it's there. When above 3K there is no GT3RS that will hang onto a Turbo S in a straight line.
I own both vehicles and for the street I choose the Turbo S all day long.
Ian
Old 04-21-2020, 06:39 PM
GGorman04
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Again, it would be an easy decision for most of us if they only made the RS a tad quicker than the Turbo S. While it is the race car of the two, it still makes the decision tough when a Turbo S is quicker.
Old 04-21-2020, 06:42 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 130 Posts

For street driving, the Turbo S is in its own class. Even on track days with minor setup changes it is amazing.

When I hit PBIR with the GT3, I struggle to keep up with Mustangs, Camaros, Corvettes, some race cars on the back straight. Same track with the Turbo S, and it passes every car like they are coasting. The passing power on a racetrack that a 991 Turbo S has is just massive.

My lap times a PBIR on equal tires with the 991 Turbo S are 1sec faster than the times with my .1 GT3RS. I haven't set a time with the .2GT3RS yet on Hoosiers or slicks, but I doubt it would be close to the 991 TurboS.

The .2 Turbo S has an anti-lag feature like the .2 GTS and .2 Carrera T, no lag at all, immediate acceleration, that's my next 991 for sure.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:59 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

I should have gotten the GT3 RS - any new leftovers out there?
Old 04-21-2020, 08:01 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

I think all this talk of the 991 TTS being as fast or faster on track than the .2 3RS are somewhat exaggerated. The data shows quite the opposite.

Any monkey with a brick tied to his foot can go fast in a straight line.

Old 04-21-2020, 08:18 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,486 Likes on 955 Posts

I’ve always seen the numbers as a 991.2 TTS on track is essentially equal to a regular GT3, but the RS has a track advantage over the other two...

Except when it’s raining.
Except when the temperature is under 40 deg F.

If it’s raining, the TTS will smoke it.
Old 04-21-2020, 08:21 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 654 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by GGorman04
Again, it would be an easy decision for most of us if they only made the RS a tad quicker than the Turbo S. While it is the race car of the two, it still makes the decision tough when a Turbo S is quicker.
They do - it comes in the form of GT2RS.

IMHO, there are so many quick cars, getting an RS for me I didn't factor in 0-60, 60-120, and Nurb...lap times. Porsche has mastered the ability to sell so many variants of the 911 that you can find one for nearly any situation you need. I had a 911 turbo, and love the rush, how it fits in, AWD, etc., but it has no effect on me like the RS. I must be mesmerized by my adoration for the RS, because I would never define it as a slow car. It does exactly what it is advertised to do.

If I get another 911 turbo, I will probably go back and get a 95-96 993.
Old 04-22-2020, 11:49 AM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,486 Likes on 955 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
Ok...here’s my thought...see below.

Analyze this.

GT3RS everyday and twice on Sundays. You have a dd already.
See Waxer you’ve got the LEDs. I don’t want to skimp with Bi Xenons. I need to drive the Lizard again, I have a good deal in place but haven’t yet pulled the trigger. It’s missing Sport Chrono and LEDs, kinda like the Clubsport actually.
Old 04-22-2020, 12:57 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by chance6
See Waxer you’ve got the LEDs. I don’t want to skimp with Bi Xenons. I need to drive the Lizard again, I have a good deal in place but haven’t yet pulled the trigger. It’s missing Sport Chrono and LEDs, kinda like the Clubsport actually.
When spending the kind of money your spending you need to get what you want. Wait for the right car. It will come along.

Quick Reply: GT3RS