Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 07:22 PM
AllAboutThatP
Burning Brakes

Received 557 Likes on 278 Posts

A lot of it will be personal preference, but for me it was LWBs, WP, and LEDs. PCCB is debatable. If you won't track it much, then get them. Low brake dust is worth it. If you are going to track a lot then I would probably get steels and switch to one of the aftermarket options.
Old 04-09-2020, 08:59 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by chance6
I'm paying close attention to this thread. When I traded my 991.2 Turbo (non-S) for my PDK GT3, I had fell in love with the PCCBs, the sound, the PDK gearbox changes in a GT car, and the rev-capability.

Now about a year in, and here's a couple things for you to chew on: I miss the rear wider Turbo body (which you get in the 3RS too). In fact in the 3RS, the air intake for the engine is actually on the rear side fenders. Which is awesome. And do you know that those NACA ducts in the front lid are meant for the brake cooling? NACA was the predecessor to NASA. And the roof is magnesium, for God's sakes.

On the GT3, there are times when I HATE the Bose sound system. When I hate red stitching. When I dislike the rough ride on terrible roads.

I've come to the conclusion that no car is perfect. Everything is a trade-off. It would be awesome to have a car with 553 ft-lb of torque, Burmester, and 9000 rpm rev capability with wide variation in PASM. It does not exist.
Exactly - If this is a second car, non-DD, weekend track / canyon car, I would get a RS - end of discussion.

For a DD - i would not get an RS. I got a TT for DD, and my weekend toy is loud, obnoxious, wing etc.

Best blend is a Touring.
Old 04-09-2020, 09:20 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 654 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by GGorman04
As a follow up to my previous question, what are considered must have options?
If this was to be used primarily for the track, some might say don't go with PCCB. For me, must have was - bucket seats, PCCB, LED, sport chrono, full leather w/ color matching stitching, carbon fiber interior trim, black wheels, front axle lift, radio and A/C.

Obviously, only the owner decides what is must have at the end of the day. As you see these cars in person it will become clearer for you to determine exactly what you must have.
Old 04-09-2020, 11:36 PM
flyjets
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 131 Posts

I had a beautiful Basalt Turbo S for many years it was a great car especially above 3K RPM. When it hit the power band it was like a 2 stroke motorcycle on the pipe.
The ride in normal mode was soft and it Sport it was harsh it handled and braked great and was a pleasure to drive. In 9 years it only broke a inside the door handle clip.

The GT3RS sits around often as its not what I would call a comfortable ride and is a more visceral experience. The throttle response off idle is bad as there is slip off idle just as in a race car.
The tires Cup2 don't get heat into them very easy so you have to be careful driving it unless its summer. If your on a track there good but for the street Michelin 4S is better.
The GT3RS is a great machine on the track and puts a constant smile on my face but on the street there are better Porsche to drive in.

As I and probably many on here own several Porsche I personally don't need to or want to use the GT3RS daily. The Turbo S would be my choice as a DD.
For the Track get a GT3RS

My 2 Cents
Ian
The following 3 users liked this post by flyjets:
AlexCeres (04-11-2020), Cazzius (04-10-2020), chance6 (04-10-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 02:24 AM
jp884
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 169 Posts
Default Tough call.

I have both and although the visceral feeling of the RS is uncomparable. The TTS is such a great daily. Capable in all weather conditions, stable and hard to break loose. If I absolutely had to choose one it would be the TTS not because I like it more than the RS but it is a more well rounded daily and if a car is not being driven it’s a piece of metal on wheels that just zapped my money.

Can’t take her out in the RS yet but that doesn’t stop her from trying to drive off in it.

And she always is telling me I need to do a better job of keeping the cars clean

And here she is going stir crazy from the quarantine so we had to get out and drive.

The following 5 users liked this post by jp884:
AlexCeres (04-10-2020), BlazinPond (04-11-2020), cadster (04-12-2020), catdog2 (04-24-2020), Cazzius (04-10-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 01:10 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,486 Likes on 955 Posts

Originally Posted by flyjets
I had a beautiful Basalt Turbo S for many years it was a great car especially above 3K RPM. When it hit the power band it was like a 2 stroke motorcycle on the pipe.
The ride in normal mode was soft and it Sport it was harsh it handled and braked great and was a pleasure to drive. In 9 years it only broke a inside the door handle clip.

The GT3RS sits around often as its not what I would call a comfortable ride and is a more visceral experience. The throttle response off idle is bad as there is slip off idle just as in a race car.
The tires Cup2 don't get heat into them very easy so you have to be careful driving it unless its summer. If your on a track there good but for the street Michelin 4S is better.
The GT3RS is a great machine on the track and puts a constant smile on my face but on the street there are better Porsche to drive in.

As I and probably many on here own several Porsche I personally don't need to or want to use the GT3RS daily. The Turbo S would be my choice as a DD.
For the Track get a GT3RS

My 2 Cents
Ian
This is exactly my dilemma- I would probably drive a TTS more, simply because I may hit 2-3 track events a year. So today I'm gonna test drive a chalk TTS and then a racing yellow GT3RS and settle it. I'm only allowed to have one Porsche.
Old 04-10-2020, 01:14 PM
chance6
Race Car

And that's the other thing- the freakin' Cup 2 tires. They might look great but on the street, it's Hell when they aren't hot.
Old 04-10-2020, 01:26 PM
GGorman04
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chance6
Once complete can you please update with your thought process/
Old 04-10-2020, 02:29 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 130 Posts

It comes down to intended use.

I had my 991 Turbo S for nearly 5 years, and along with it a 991.1 GT3RS and later a 991.2 GT3RS. The TurboS and GT3RS have different use on my end, and I put more miles in the RS than the TurboS.

Lap times are very similar on equal tires. The Turbo S has this nice an special feature that you can tune it and get another 100hp easily, and much more with bolt-on parts. Its Launch Control is fantastic and fun. It works on all weather, rear seats for kids, and it doesn't call any attention.

The RS means every kid wants to street race you, it grabs phone pictures everywhere, it is loud inside, it is harsh too, NVH levels are among the highest on production cars. It is slooooow, unless you swing the engine to 7k rpm and up then you just make a lot of noise with minimal acceleration.

Resale is good on both. If I were to put my money on one, it would be a 991.1 GT3RS in Purple or PTS with carbon brakes and seats, the RS does better on resale and that's a fun factor too, to be able to drive these cars with low financial or cost footprint.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:06 PM
welikethetrack
Burning Brakes

Received 632 Likes on 345 Posts

These cars aren't durable, they are bulletproof. Beat up would be close to impossible to do any new porsche 911 after 30k miles let alone 1k.

I DD my 991.2 3rs and it's magical, yet so bulletproof that it makes a great DD if you get over the getting in and out hurdle hahaha

Not to knock the turbo S, but just ask Matt Farah too. It's become just a chipped carrera at this point. It's a solid fast luxury cruiser that looks better than a carrera and if you have a lot of money and dont care too much for money or are on a budget is probably worth it to you. Great for people that value comfort at all and want something "better" than a carrera, lucky for me I put 0 value comfort, hence why I dd a 3rs

On the fun factor, it's no contest. 9k redline, go kart suspension, louder, giant wing, skittle color makes my smiles per miles skyrocket
The following users liked this post:
CLHR (04-23-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 08:21 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 654 Likes on 391 Posts

This is exactly my dilemma- I would probably drive a TTS more, simply because I may hit 2-3 track events a year. So today I'm gonna test drive a chalk TTS and then a racing yellow GT3RS and settle it. I'm only allowed to have one Porsche.
How was the test drive?
Old 04-10-2020, 09:39 PM
chance6
Race Car

Well, here you go. I came away with a few conclusions today, some of which I didn't expect. I didn't make a swap...yet. Giving it a little time here to ponder.

When I got rid of my 911 GTS in favor of a 991.2 Turbo (non-S) a couple years ago, I was very fired up. I loved the AWD functionality, the PDK, and the Burmester.
Then I found the 4.0 liter engine in the GT3. And somehow I was motivated to be able to live with red stitching and a Bose sound system. This continues, but I can tell you after hearing that Burmester again today and seeing two great interiors...that red stitching could be on thin ice! But it's much harder to let go of the 4.0.

Racing yellow on a 3RS looks DYNAMITE in person. Unfortunately the car didn't have FAL and had a couple unfortunate nicks (not just rock chips) on the front fender. For a car with basically one of the best interiors I've ever seen, that's a shame. This car had the black/silver stitching with LWB, Bose, and the standard black gauges (grey tach). DAMN - one of the best interiors I've ever seen. I am late to the game on the 3RS but after driving it- DAMN again...rides a notch stiffer than the GT3, and the shifting in this car is even better than a GT3, and the sound is amped up more if that's possible. Unbelievable car. But I can't buy it for the reasons above. I'm a stickler I guess. No FAL is a deal breaker for me. Lip might be cheap to replace...but...annoying.

Now the Turbo S - I have an entirely new view on this car now after having a GT3 after a year, lemmie tell you. Beautiful car, beautiful interior, Burmester, carbon fiber treatment everywhere. But starting this car is like a slow babbling brook compared to a GT car. I had to convince myself that this car is faster than a GT3 or 3RS. I love the AWD feel and the ride is plush, but the 7200 rpm redline looks paltry compared to 9000 rpm capability.
I thought I might be sold on the TTS immediately because of the torque, options, etc. But right now I'm not sold just yet.

I've got a 2nd car for brutal winter days - and I must say, seeing and driving the 3RS really impressed me. Sucks getting into the buckets but they fit like a glove. Bose sucks but not the point in that car. Not sure where that goes from here.

Old 04-11-2020, 12:03 AM
RUF RS
Burning Brakes

Received 309 Likes on 154 Posts

BUY THE NEXT ONE YOU SEE WITH FAL....that's what's next.

Not sure where that goes from here.

Old 04-11-2020, 12:55 AM
n d
Pro

Received 189 Likes on 106 Posts

It’s the first car that I ever owned after 1 1/2 years later I’m still in love with ..... I have no interest in owning any other cars. usually I search all the time for a replacement! The new turbo s looks amazing I’m gonna get that!
Old 04-11-2020, 01:02 AM
n d
Pro

Received 189 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by A/S
It comes down to intended use.

I had my 991 Turbo S for nearly 5 years, and along with it a 991.1 GT3RS and later a 991.2 GT3RS. The TurboS and GT3RS have different use on my end, and I put more miles in the RS than the TurboS.

Lap times are very similar on equal tires. The Turbo S has this nice an special feature that you can tune it and get another 100hp easily, and much more with bolt-on parts. Its Launch Control is fantastic and fun. It works on all weather, rear seats for kids, and it doesn't call any attention.

The RS means every kid wants to street race you, it grabs phone pictures everywhere, it is loud inside, it is harsh too, NVH levels are among the highest on production cars. It is slooooow, unless you swing the engine to 7k rpm and up then you just make a lot of noise with minimal acceleration.

Resale is good on both. If I were to put my money on one, it would be a 991.1 GT3RS in Purple or PTS with carbon brakes and seats, the RS does better on resale and that's a fun factor too, to be able to drive these cars with low financial or cost footprint.
are you sure you owned the 991.2 ? It’s definitely not slow!

Quick Reply: GT3RS