Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good Reads: 000 back issues on sale now

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 01:51 PM
Former Vendor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Good Reads: 000 back issues on sale now

With so many events canceled—and so many of us suddenly stuck at home with time to spare—we've decided to discount 000 back issues for the first time ever.

It's a small way we can make staying indoors a bit more pleasurable for Porsche people—providing a getaway from endless hyperlinks and drop-down notifications. Which is precisely what 000 was designed to be: a luxurious reading experience and an alternative to a night out, a concert, or a car event you just can't get to when life intervenes. And 000 is an experience: Each issue has 260 pages, weighs about three pounds, comes in a box, and contains no more than 5-7% advertising—meaning at least 242-247 of 260 pages are pure Porsche content. In them, you'll find deep dives, long drives, new research, unpublished documents, untold stories, old stories we only thought we knew, and elements of Porsche cars and Porsche stories placed under a microscope.

000 isn't for everyone, nor was it designed to be. But if you want to know Porsche better, and to understand the real minds behind that hood crest, you might just love 000.

Available back issues* can be found here: https://www.000magazine.com/store

We'll get through this. In the meantime, take care of what's important, take care of yourself so you can do so, and we'll see you on the other side.

The team @000

If you're unfamiliar with 000, a couple of third-party reviews can be found below:
https://www.porscheroadandrace.com/000-magazine/
http://www.speedhunters.com/2019/02/...ne-pete-stout/

Or you can stay right here on Rennlist:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1054...-magazine.html

*If we were to recommend a back issue for those on this forum, it might be Issue 005—which has a multi-part deep dive into the birth of the GT3 nameplate with a long-form road test of the 996.1 GT3, 996.2 GT3, and 996.2 GT3 RS by Richard Meaden, Pete Stout, and Alexander Palevsky followed by their interview with Hartmut Kristen on the precarious birth of the GT3, on why the Carrera RS nameplate had to die, and on how 996 GT3s differ, philosophically, from 997 GT3s. Flying Lizard chief engineer Craig Watkins' vignettes round out the 85-page trilogy on the roots of the GT3, providing perspective on just how hard it was to get GT3s produced on the assembly line in the Wiedeking era as well as "inside baseball" on early GT3 racing and the development of some of the last Mezger-powered race cars. A 45-page story on the ur-GT3—the four-cam 356 Carrera—is in the same issue, along with a 145-mph ride in Bugatti designer Achim Anscheidt's 1,808-pound 911 hot rod.

Last edited by 000; 04-07-2020 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-07-2020, 02:49 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by 000

With so many events canceled—and so many of us suddenly stuck at home with time to spare—we've decided to discount 000 back issues for the first time ever.

It's a small way we can make staying indoors a bit more pleasurable for Porsche people—providing a getaway from endless hyperlinks and drop-down notifications. Which is precisely what 000 was designed to be: a luxurious reading experience and an alternative to a night out, a concert, or a car event you just can't get to when life intervenes. And 000 is an experience: Each issue has 260 pages, weighs about three pounds, comes in a box, and contains no more than 5-7% advertising—meaning at least 242-247 of 260 pages are pure Porsche content. In them, you'll find deep dives, long drives, new research, unpublished documents, untold stories, old stories we only thought we knew, and elements of Porsche cars and Porsche stories placed under a microscope.

000 isn't for everyone, nor was it designed to be. But if you want to know Porsche better, and to understand the real minds behind that hood crest, you might just love 000.

Available back issues* can be found here: https://www.000magazine.com/store

We'll get through this. In the meantime, take care of what's important, take care of yourself so you can do so, and we'll see you on the other side.

The team @000

If you're unfamiliar with 000, a couple of third-party reviews can be found below:
https://www.porscheroadandrace.com/000-magazine/
http://www.speedhunters.com/2019/02/...ne-pete-stout/

Or you can stay right here on Rennlist:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1054...-magazine.html

*If we were to recommend a back issue for those on this forum, it might be Issue 005—which has a multi-part deep dive into the birth of the GT3 nameplate with a long-form road test of the 996.1 GT3, 996.2 GT3, and 996.2 GT3 RS by Richard Meaden, Pete Stout, and Alexander Palevsky followed by their interview with Hartmut Kristen on the precarious birth of the GT3, on why the Carrera RS nameplate had to die, and on how 996 GT3s differ, philosophically, from 997 GT3s. Flying Lizard chief engineer Craig Watkins' vignettes round out the 85-page trilogy on the roots of the GT3, providing perspective on just how hard it was to get GT3s produced on the assembly line in the Wiedeking era as well as "inside baseball" on early GT3 racing and the development of some of the last Mezger-powered race cars. A 45-page story on the ur-GT3—the four-cam 356 Carrera—is in the same issue, along with a 145-mph ride in Bugatti designer Achim Anscheidt's 1,808-pound 911 hot rod.

Great time for us all to catch up on the best Porsche reading material out on the market.
Old 04-07-2020, 03:55 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 187 Posts

Hello Pete, any issue, outside of 005, with some Touring verbiage?
While the Touring was an option, just a check box, on a GT3 it seems to have morphed into it's own item. The merits of this can be debated, it's 99% the same as a be-winged manual. But we know that the Touring gets its own EPA rating, no carbon under the rear deck and other unpublished changes. I'm hard pressed to think of a non-numbered manual Porsche sports car that's generated as much interest in the past 10 years. I'd love 000 to tell this story.
The following users liked this post:
Porsche911GTS'16 (04-08-2020)
Old 04-07-2020, 05:10 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,312 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
Great time for us all to catch up on the best Porsche reading material out on the market.
Many thanks, Seth!

Originally Posted by Bruce R
Hello Pete, any issue, outside of 005, with some Touring verbiage?
While the Touring was an option, just a check box, on a GT3 it seems to have morphed into it's own item. The merits of this can be debated, it's 99% the same as a be-winged manual. But we know that the Touring gets its own EPA rating, no carbon under the rear deck and other unpublished changes. I'm hard pressed to think of a non-numbered manual Porsche sports car that's generated as much interest in the past 10 years. I'd love 000 to tell this story.
Curious about the dynamic differences between the 911R and the 991.2 GT3 6MT (knowing the Touring was coming, but not yet available), we did a long-form road test with a white 911R and a Chalk 991.2 GT3 6MT early on, in Issue 003. That had Palevsky and me drive from Stuttgart to the Eifel region to get a feel for the similarities and differences between the cars over two days of driving on great roads that approximate many of the roads we have here in the U.S., and similar speeds to what is possible here. Only time the GT3's wing made its presence known was on the long haul home through the night...and the difference was stark. Trick is, Issue 003 is sold out in soft-cover—though they do come up for sale occasionally here on RL and on eBay. Other trick is: I've since spent a lot of time in the GT3 Touring and you raise good points—I think we may dig into the Touring at some point as its own story. There's usually a story behind the story, which is what 000 is all about.

In the meantime, here are a few other 000 stories that may be of interest to 991/GT owners here:
991 BODY PANELS IN CARBON FIBER (Issue 005)
CENTERLOCK WHEELS FOR THE ROAD (Issue 005)
CARRERA T MEETS BASE CARRERA (long-form road test by Palevsky & Stout, Issue 006)
ON ROAD AND TRACK: 991.2 GT3 RS (long-form road/track test by Meaden, Issue 007)
000 Build: 991.2 GT3 TARGA (Issue 008)
997 GT2 & GT2 RS: LAST OF THE WIDOWMAKERS (long-form road test by Stout, Issue 011)
PORTRAIT OF HANS MEZGER (long-form profile, Issue 011)

NLA in soft-cover (a few sets of 000 S are still available, but that's a whole other level…):
Surface: HOUNDSTOOTH VERSUS PEPITA (Issue 001)
THE RED ONE: CAYMAN GT4 MR (track test with Patrick Long, Issue 002)
INTERNAL DEBATE: 911R & 991.2 GT3 (long-form road test by Palevsky & Stout, Issue 003)
000 Build: 991.2 CARRERA EDITION F22.2 (Issue 003)
WILD HORSES: 2018 911 GT2 RS (Issue 004)

Vintage72 (04-08-2020)
Old 04-08-2020, 03:31 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,020 Likes on 646 Posts

Thanks Pete - just picked up issue 6 and 7.

6 interests me because of the T 991.2 C comparo - I was a great fan of the 991.2 and owned both an S and GTS with the "performance" fruit. Fantastic cars and great engine.
7 interests me because of the GT3 RS - my current Targa car (Series 2) - its truly terrific, a street car that can compete with open class road rally cars. Truly special (on so many levels).

On another note - would love to see a new article on the 981 Cayman GTS Vs 982 GTS 4.0L. I am huge fan of the 981 GTS - its a terrific car, the 3.4l works so well with the PTV diff - super nimble. I won two significant road rallys in this car, the second was a five day event and on the morning of the fifth day there was only 9 seconds between me and my co-driver and the second place team. The next four stages we drove the cayman relentlessly and ruthlessly hard, the car didn't miss a beat, even tho the tires were completely done. After the fourth stage and before the fifth stage, on this the final day I was standing by the car when the driver from the second place car came over - stuck out his hand and said "well done, we've got nothing left - you put a minute on us in those four stages". All four of us were completely exhausted (drivers and co-drivers). We gave each other a big man hug and agreed to drive out the last stage - wonderful sportsmanship from P2 and a moment to savour (not one of us had a dry eye - the pressure was so intense). Later when asked by a Journo how we managed to do it - I said it was the car, "it was like a lion, with the heart of a lion - it just never gave up, never let me down and rose to every challenge". To this day I own that car, and consider it one of the best all round Porsche sports cars I have ever driven - at least thats my take, clearly a biased one - but would love to hear your unbiased take.

PS. Are there any soft cover 003s left (webstore = soldout)

Last edited by groundhog; 04-08-2020 at 05:39 AM.
Old 04-08-2020, 09:01 AM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 187 Posts

Thanks for the reply Pete, I'm going to grab issue 005 for now.
Yes the story behind the story that's what we want for the Touring!

Best & stay safe.

Porsche911GTS'16 (04-08-2020)
Old 04-08-2020, 12:45 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by groundhog
Thanks Pete - just picked up issue 6 and 7.

6 interests me because of the T 991.2 C comparo - I was a great fan of the 991.2 and owned both an S and GTS with the "performance" fruit. Fantastic cars and great engine.
7 interests me because of the GT3 RS - my current Targa car (Series 2) - its truly terrific, a street car that can compete with open class road rally cars. Truly special (on so many levels).

On another note - would love to see a new article on the 981 Cayman GTS Vs 982 GTS 4.0L. I am huge fan of the 981 GTS - its a terrific car, the 3.4l works so well with the PTV diff - super nimble. I won two significant road rallys in this car, the second was a five day event and on the morning of the fifth day there was only 9 seconds between me and my co-driver and the second place team. The next four stages we drove the cayman relentlessly and ruthlessly hard, the car didn't miss a beat, even tho the tires were completely done. After the fourth stage and before the fifth stage, on this the final day I was standing by the car when the driver from the second place car came over - stuck out his hand and said "well done, we've got nothing left - you put a minute on us in those four stages". All four of us were completely exhausted (drivers and co-drivers). We gave each other a big man hug and agreed to drive out the last stage - wonderful sportsmanship from P2 and a moment to savour (not one of us had a dry eye - the pressure was so intense). Later when asked by a Journo how we managed to do it - I said it was the car, "it was like a lion, with the heart of a lion - it just never gave up, never let me down and rose to every challenge". To this day I own that car, and consider it one of the best all round Porsche sports cars I have ever driven - at least thats my take, clearly a biased one - but would love to hear your unbiased take.

PS. Are there any soft cover 003s left (webstore = soldout)
I'm a newly minted fan of the 991.2 GTS after a test with our own ChrisF for Issue 013…so you may want to grab that, but back issues aren't released for a while after they come out. First dibs go to new subscribers, and our print runs are tight so we have to keep some in hand.

Having commissioned a Panorama article on the 981 GTS and 981 GT4 when the latter came out, I like your idea a lot. We may need to do some digging to find the right 981 GTS, and we'll have to hope PCNA's PR dept orders the right 982 GTS 4.0—but they've got some very attuned enthusiasts who order cars right. Fingers crossed.

Originally Posted by Bruce R
Thanks for the reply Pete, I'm going to grab issue 005 for now.
Yes the story behind the story that's what we want for the Touring!

Best & stay safe.
^ Right on, and that's what we're after too.

Nice sticker, btw. A friend in Flacht gave me a few of those just after I sold my GT4…and as much as Flacht means to me, I can't bring myself to put one on my Carrera, which was "made/born" just up the hill.
Bruce R (04-08-2020)
Old 04-08-2020, 02:06 PM
RockyTopTenn
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

Thanks for the discount. Just ordered a #11...

Oh, and +1 on "very interested in the back story on the Touring..."

Old 04-08-2020, 02:24 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,192 Likes on 574 Posts

Another +1 on the Touring back story. In your GT3 article, I found it interesting that the GT department had discussed a wingless GT3 for a while but it did not come to pass until the R/Touring.
Old 04-08-2020, 03:24 PM
sterno
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

No 003? This is the issue I would like to get.
Old 04-09-2020, 04:36 PM
CPTAmericaMV
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

Just ordered my first magazine - Issue 005.
Excited to get it. Thanks.
Old 04-09-2020, 05:39 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
Another +1 on the Touring back story. In your GT3 article, I found it interesting that the GT department had discussed a wingless GT3 for a while but it did not come to pass until the R/Touring.
The R/Touring also came up in an interview regarding the "991.3" Speedster, and why the coupe got the nod at the end of the 991.1 era.

Further interest in a Touring back story noted!

Originally Posted by sterno
No 003? This is the issue I would like to get.
Currently NLA, unfortunately.

We've been mulling soft-cover "catchup sets" by year—possibly bundled with the slipcase, but the soft-cover "Issue 0" will remain a one-time printing. So far, people have been able to piece soft-cover sets together via Rennlist classifieds and eBay, which is something we're keeping an eye on, and there are still a handful of S sets from the 2017 production run left.

Originally Posted by CPTAmericaMV
Just ordered my first magazine - Issue 005.
Excited to get it. Thanks.
Many thanks!
Old 04-09-2020, 08:21 PM
Type901
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 64 Posts

@stout Huge fan and was lucky to piece together a complete softcover set after subscribing on Issue 006. Any sense for when the softcover slipcases might be available again? I need to stock up for future issues.
Old 04-09-2020, 09:07 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Type901
@stout Huge fan and was lucky to piece together a complete softcover set after subscribing on Issue 006. Any sense for when the softcover slipcases might be available again? I need to stock up for future issues.
Right on—and thank you for the support!

The slipcases are handmade not far from our offices, by the same company that makes the aluminum S slipcases. Super cool group, but the only person on deck right now is the owner himself. He's still shipping, but new construction is currently delayed. We are looking into a second supplier in Germany to support European demand, so that may help when one is down. We'll see...
Old 04-09-2020, 09:09 PM
Vintage72
Burning Brakes

Received 400 Likes on 199 Posts

Ordered my 1-4 set.

Quick Reply: Good Reads: 000 back issues on sale now