Sponsored by:

GT3 Near Crash! (at 35MPH)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2020, 03:01 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Five
Correct me if I’m wrong: all this discussion of warming up your tires on the street (especially in 40 degree temps) - I thought this was impossible. Unless you’re putting a constant high speed turning and braking load on tires (such as track driving) they don’t “warm up” to any significant degree aside from contact with pavement on a hot summer day unless you have some really badass roads where you live and you drive incredibly “at the limit” on public roads.

Am I wrong here? Also high performance summers don’t belong in 40 degree weather.
I drive in cold weather and recently drove on the beltway for a hour, it was 39F. The tire pressure was stable and never increased. When I got home I put my hand on the tire and was stone cold.
Old 03-06-2020, 04:56 PM
stephen k
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Grip Grip Grip.

Tires - Worn? Probably not old since the car is 18. Maybe temp was too cold?
Alignment - I am going to assume you picked the car up used? If so maybe the previous guy had the car lowered for a track aggressive setup and raised it back (without a proper alignment) before he sold it off the dealer. Check your alignment.

Could the ground have been icy?

This car is super sensitive to tire (condition and wear) and alignment.
Old 03-06-2020, 07:55 PM
Johnny Five
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 195 Posts

Exactly.

Originally Posted by GiuseppeM
I drive in cold weather and recently drove on the beltway for a hour, it was 39F. The tire pressure was stable and never increased. When I got home I put my hand on the tire and was stone cold.
Old 03-07-2020, 01:11 PM
ddugas01

Received 148 Likes on 65 Posts

I too had a similar experience. My Cup 2’s were at the end of life and had turned hard. I also learned to wait until I got out of the turn before I showed off my car’s wonderful acceleration. I track the car more than daily driving, and once the new Cup 2’s heat up it’s gripping like superglue. I went from a C4S to the GT3. But like everyone says in this list, Cup 2’s don’t grip on streets so roll down the window and slow down so all the envious people can come bye and appreciate your ride!

Quick Reply: GT3 Near Crash! (at 35MPH)