Sponsored by:

After market exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2020, 06:52 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts
Default After market exhaust

We all look for more performance from our GT cars and I’m no different. I’m looking at aftermarket exhausts specifically the Akropovic for several reasons, build quality, stated performance and lighter weight. Removing weight from the rear of a 911 is a plus.
my question is , has anyone tried this system and how loud over stock is it. I’m not really interested in increased noise just lighter weight and improved performance . Thanks

should have mentioned this is for a 991.2 2018 GT3
Old 01-30-2020, 07:39 AM
edsonreds
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
We all look for more performance from our GT cars and I’m no different. I’m looking at aftermarket exhausts specifically the Akropovic for several reasons, build quality, stated performance and lighter weight. Removing weight from the rear of a 911 is a plus.
my question is , has anyone tried this system and how loud over stock is it. I’m not really interested in increased noise just lighter weight and improved performance . Thanks

Hi. I havent tried the akrapovic system but I had a fabspeed one. Not very impressed. I think because I dont normally drive at the limit to notice extra 20bhp.

From what I learned, you should be good with the stock one, but it is a matter of taste/choice. I am switching back to the stock system and cashing out on the fabspeed.

Just my two cents. By the way: I drive a 2018 GT3 RS.

Edson.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:12 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

There are more than 100 vendors of exhaust systems. All promise many things. Assuming no deletion of components (side mufflers, rear muffler, catalytic converters) do not expect any substantial horsepower gains. If well designed and built, most are not, you might get a bit in the midrange. Again, depending upon design, deletion(s) and build quality, weight reduction could be substantial (50 plus pounds), but do not fool yourself, this weight reduction alone will make no perceptible difference to car handling. As to noise, it is totally subjective. For me, I would not buy an exhaust system for sound though many, many people do. Also, depending upon which Porsche GT car you have, it might have a titanium rear muffler, thereby enabling to save money by not buying another one. Re Akropovic, its quality has always seemed to be the best among the commercially available exhaust systems. Finally, given the oxidation temperature of titanium, if you are looking for ultimate longevity in an exhaust system, titanium is not the answer as steel (304 or, preferably, 321) or Inconel would last longer. A combination of steel (less expensive) or Inconel headers and a titanium rear muffler might be preferable. Inconel well tolerate more heat, but unless you are a constant and constantly brilliant track driver, likely you will never need Inconel's heat tolerance.
The following 7 users liked this post by Robert Linton:
C5driver (01-31-2020), edsonreds (01-30-2020), flywheel (02-01-2020), hellboy_mcqueen (02-02-2020), Jerrym (01-30-2020), Nizer (01-30-2020), Porsche911GTS'16 (01-31-2020) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-30-2020, 08:51 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
There are more than 100 vendors of exhaust systems. All promise many things. Assuming no deletion of components (side mufflers, rear muffler, catalytic converters) do not expect any substantial horsepower gains. If well designed and built, most are not, you might get a bit in the midrange. Again, depending upon design, deletion(s) and build quality, weight reduction could be substantial (50 plus pounds), but do not fool yourself, this weight reduction alone will make no perceptible difference to car handling. As to noise, it is totally subjective. For me, I would not buy an exhaust system for sound though many, many people do. Also, depending upon which Porsche GT car you have, it might have a titanium rear muffler, thereby enabling to save money by not buying another one. Re Akropovic, its quality has always seemed to be the best among the commercially available exhaust systems. Finally, given the oxidation temperature of titanium, if you are looking for ultimate longevity in an exhaust system, titanium is not the answer as steel (304 or, preferably, 321) or Inconel would last longer. A combination of steel (less expensive) or Inconel headers and a titanium rear muffler might be preferable. Inconel well tolerate more heat, but unless you are a constant and constantly brilliant track driver, likely you will never need Inconel's heat tolerance.
Great and complete answer, thank you
Old 01-30-2020, 09:54 AM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 111 Posts

You should search Dundon Motorsports and look at their longtube headers and possibly lifetime muffler. In terms of performance, I believe they have some of the best results. They are a supporter of Rennlist and great guys to work with. I just installed them on my car, after listening to all the reviews and hearing them in person. They sound great with the set up I chose, and no question they deliver a good bit of mid range grunt to my car - a 991.1RS.
The following users liked this post:
twospyders (02-02-2020)
Old 01-30-2020, 10:10 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,594 Likes on 2,339 Posts

its a wild goose chase ... spend the money on learning to drive the car closer to its performance envelope - extend yours not its ...
The following 4 users liked this post by Larry Cable:
erik_plus8 (02-02-2020), Porsche911GTS'16 (01-31-2020), tjg81296 (01-30-2020), zumaron (02-11-2020)
Old 01-30-2020, 10:11 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

very well said!
Old 01-31-2020, 12:10 AM
Einmalig
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 70 Posts

I installed the Akrapovic race line slip on and link pipes on my 991.2 GT3. This lightweight titanium system replaces the side mufflers and the rear muffler yielding a net reduction of more than 50 lbs. In addition to the the weight loss, there is a reduction in heat, an improved exhaust note and a noticeable improvement in mid range torque. This is in my opinion the single best modification one can make to their GT3. It’s not inexpensive, but the quality is unimpeachable and superior to the OEM pieces they replace. From a durability perspective, there is no concern in terms of the fitment of a quality titanium systems on a modern road car. At about half the cost of ceramic composite brakes, the Akrapovic exhaust is a relative bargain with greater weight savings as well as the reduction in heat and an improved sound.
Old 01-31-2020, 01:05 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Einmalig
I installed the Akrapovic race line slip on and link pipes on my 991.2 GT3. This lightweight titanium system replaces the side mufflers and the rear muffler yielding a net reduction of more than 50 lbs. In addition to the the weight loss, there is a reduction in heat, an improved exhaust note and a noticeable improvement in mid range torque. This is in my opinion the single best modification one can make to their GT3. It’s not inexpensive, but the quality is unimpeachable and superior to the OEM pieces they replace. From a durability perspective, there is no concern in terms of the fitment of a quality titanium systems on a modern road car. At about half the cost of ceramic composite brakes, the Akrapovic exhaust is a relative bargain with greater weight savings as well as the reduction in heat and an improved sound.
good point about the heat soak issue ... I think the Akra exhaust is in a league of its own but a bit too rich for me at least ... enjoy!
Old 01-31-2020, 05:29 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,140 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by Einmalig
+1 I've done this setup as well for the benefits listed.

Nothing else to add other than the sound is awesome across the range. Positive comments and questions on it at the track. No drone above 3000 rpm, slight below it but some may not call it drone. I do wish at times it was valved to reduce the volume, but overall I wouldn't do it differently. If you track, think about sound restrictions at your tracks of choice.
Old 01-31-2020, 06:50 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Robert,

Can you elaborate a bit about the considerations that influence decisions regarding materials used in Motorsport exhaust applications - particularly between titanium and inconel?

E.g., I believe the outgoing 911 RSR - the exceptionally loud car with central exit pipes - used inconel headers and titanium exhaust pipes. Why not inconel pipes as well? I have a few pictures of the exhaust that I probably shouldn’t have, and I got to see Manthey mechanics working on the exhaust of the pink pig during night qualifying at Le Mans in 2018 (no pictures, however).

This pic is from the Laguna Seca IMSA race in 2017 (when Marco Ujhasi wasn’t looking!)

Old 01-31-2020, 06:58 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

From all I have spoke with and talk to it seems that Dundon will offer you the best as far as any power gains with headers, rear muffler and intake systems, however the costs of the parts are extremely expensive to me.

If you just want to drop weight and not heat soak the rear tires and get a better sound I can tell you the Soul Side Muffler Deletes I did, worked as advertised perfectly.
The following users liked this post:
Soul Performance (02-03-2020)
Old 02-01-2020, 05:47 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 196 Likes on 171 Posts

^^ all great technical answers. Akrapovic is a great system, titanium, lightweight, quality, sound, performance, etc..

http://www.akrapovic.com/en/car/prod...48&yearId=5104

We have the slip on system in stock if you would like pricing!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
BC Forged / Soul Performance / Akrapovic / Bilstein / HRE / AL13 / CSF + more

Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886

Old 02-01-2020, 05:54 PM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

This is really a header, no header question, as all slip on center or side deletes are sound related. Headers are a cat or non cat argument, and if you cant run non catted headers, dundon has the long tube catted header down. If you can run non catted header, long tube headers, generally add HP and are equal length in nature. JRC, Dundon and Fabspeed make long tube headers that most are aware of. not sure if there are any others?
Old 02-02-2020, 02:12 AM
twospyders
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

I have a manual transmission 2018 991.2 and I went with a catted DUNDON system including lifetime muffler.

Sound and performance are epic. Transformed the car. Customer service is unparalleled too. Speak to Jamie.

Quick Reply: After market exhaust