Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After market exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2020, 06:32 AM
wpt817
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone tried Soul Performance? If ever, how was it?

The following users liked this post:
Soul Performance (02-03-2020)
Old 02-02-2020, 09:29 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

Without discussing the merits, or lack thereof, of the horsepower claims of various exhaust manufacturers/suppliers ('they don't sell exhaust systems, they sell hope'), permit me to address what I believe to be the best combination (cost considerations notwithstanding) of materials for a 911 exhaust system that maintains valve system functionality. To begin with, for headers (manifolds), I would use thin wall Inconel as, given its heat tolerance, it will yield the lightest header with the greatest longevity. Further, if one is truly serious about combatting radiating heat, I would wrap the Inconel header with Hakotherm 1200 fiber wool, covered with stainless steel foil, 0.15mm thick (ideally, even though titanium is a better insulator than Inconel or steel, if serious about the heat issue, I would also wrap titanium or steel headers). I would make the muffler(s) from titanium (how light an alloy depends on how long you want it to last given titanium's relatively low oxidation temperature ). The pipes between the headers and the muffler(s) would also be made from thin wall Inconel as valves are not available in titanium. Finally, I would make all clamps from titanium.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:40 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

The beginning of the manufacture (after a long period of evaluating, scanning, designing, costing, etc.) of a header for

my ideal exhaust system for my own car - Inconel 625 Header with "printed" flanges.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:34 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by wpt817
Has anyone tried Soul Performance? If ever, how was it?
Soul is great to deal with and there products are very well built. If you are looking for side deletes or center delete they are THE company to deal with. I had there side deletes and was very happy with them.
Soul Performance (02-03-2020)
Old 02-02-2020, 10:42 AM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

I put fabspeed full length non catted headers on with their side valve deletes first, then added the header later. I also have no CEL issues and make more power, sound amazing and have been on for 5000 + miles. If I had to get a catted system, it would be dundon. Because i had the side deletes, it made sense to get the fabspeed header, and I have been extremely satified with everything. I hear peopel say "these are great" or "go with this" Its a moot point to argue side deletes and center deletes unless you argue sound only. they really dont add much, if any, performace value.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:54 AM
chranotik
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

im running the jcr inconel racing headers and their full titanium racing pipe and they're all coated in swaintech's white lightning. love the sound except it's kinda raspy but im going to get the bolts tightened up and see if that fixes that.
JCR-Porsche (02-03-2020)
Old 02-02-2020, 01:42 PM
dewilmoth
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
Without discussing the merits, or lack thereof, of the horsepower claims of various exhaust manufacturers/suppliers ('they don't sell exhaust systems, they sell hope'), permit me to address what I believe to be the best combination (cost considerations notwithstanding) of materials for a 911 exhaust system that maintains valve system functionality. To begin with, for headers (manifolds), I would use thin wall Inconel as, given its heat tolerance, it will yield the lightest header with the greatest longevity. Further, if one is truly serious about combatting radiating heat, I would wrap the Inconel header with Hakotherm 1200 fiber wool, covered with stainless steel foil, 0.15mm thick (ideally, even though titanium is a better insulator than Inconel or steel, if serious about the heat issue, I would also wrap titanium or steel headers). I would make the muffler(s) from titanium (how light an alloy depends on how long you want it to last given titanium's relatively low oxidation temperature ). The pipes between the headers and the muffler(s) would also be made from thin wall Inconel as valves are not available in titanium. Finally, I would make all clamps from titanium.
It sounds like the wrap you mention is very similar to what headershield offers.

http://headershield.com

Their pricing is exorbitant for what it is, and I'd rather DIY. Do you have a recommendation on where to buy rolls of both the hakotherm and SS foil? Any recommendation on the best method for securing to the headers?

Last edited by dewilmoth; 02-03-2020 at 08:09 AM.
Old 02-02-2020, 03:36 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Have no recommendations for the material. What do you mean by "securing the headers"?
Old 02-03-2020, 08:10 AM
dewilmoth
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
Have no recommendations for the material. What do you mean by "securing the headers"?
Typo. Meant "securing to the headers".

Quick Reply: After market exhaust