Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which route would you go? Exhaust currently too loud!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 02:11 AM
richiele23
8th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Default Which route would you go? Exhaust currently too loud!

Hey guys,

I recently got an RS with a full titanium exhaust and unfortunately I think I bit off more than I can chew. I LOVE the sound, it's just a little too loud driving around the neighborhood. The neighbors are definitely not happy with the sound and in consideration of them, I'm looking into getting something where I can open/close the valves. Can't right now with the current set up. That being said, can you give me your take on these two options that I've been suggested? Thanks in advance.

Option 1: Keep the current titanium exhaust and put back in the side mufflers as seen in the photo. I was told this would make it a little quieter, but would still have a good sound. I like the idea of this as I would be keeping the exhaust I paid for and the look as well. And I'd be able to control the valves.

Option 2: Put back the stock exhaust and purchase Dundon headers. A lot of people seem to really like Dundon headers. I heard some sound clips of this and sounds pretty good. I'd be able to control valves as well. Not sure how easy it'd be to sell the titanium exhaust.

Overall, please let me know if you have any opinion on my situation. I'm fairly new to any aftermarket changes so your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Current set up:

In option 1, I was told to put these back on:

Old 12-13-2019, 02:40 AM
Gasman85
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 30 Posts

I’d just put the side mufflers back on. Free and it’ll be about 1/2 as loud.
Old 12-13-2019, 04:12 AM
TT Chris
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Side mufflers keeps the noise/drone down. Put them back on and get a center muffler like GMG or JCR so you can use the valves.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:00 AM
hashash
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Gasman85
I’d just put the side mufflers back on. Free and it’ll be about 1/2 as loud.
+1
Old 12-13-2019, 07:09 AM
azzurri
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 95 Posts

I'm actually interested in what your neighbors said to you????
Direct or passive comments to you??
The following users liked this post:
-Ryan- (12-13-2019)
Old 12-13-2019, 09:13 AM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

Put the side mufflers back on and install a center muffler bypass like Sharkwerks. I disconnected the valves and it’s been perfect. Quiet when you need the car to be quiet and loud when you get on it.

Remember no matter how loud the exhaust is inside the car it much louder outside!

Last edited by fskof; 12-15-2019 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:38 AM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 263 Posts

Try SOUL side by-pass WITH valves. My current set up on the .2GT3 is a GMG center bypass and SOUL sides w/ valves. Loud as hell with the valves open and less loud with valves closed. And SOUL is great to deal with and awesome quality.
Soul Performance (12-13-2019)
Old 12-13-2019, 10:05 AM
RoyalPink
Burning Brakes

Received 662 Likes on 277 Posts

Speaking of disconnecting the valves. I tried it a couple of times and did not care for the sound/drone. After pulling it off a couple of times. I found that it popped off several times on it's own. So I ordered a replacement hose for the one side which was something like $60 which I thought was insane. It actually came as a 5 ft piece of it which made more sense for $60. In the meantime I merely tightened the crimp with a pair of bullnose dykes and that took care of it. If anyone needs some hose or they are having an issue. Let me know and I will send you some for both sides. I'll cover shipping and don't want anything for it. So no worries there. My way of paying it forward.

The following 2 users liked this post by RoyalPink:
Alan C. (12-13-2019), SPIKES (12-13-2019)
Old 12-13-2019, 10:11 AM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 778 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by richiele23
Hey guys,

I recently got an RS with a full titanium exhaust and unfortunately I think I bit off more than I can chew. I LOVE the sound, it's just a little too loud driving around the neighborhood. The neighbors are definitely not happy with the sound and in consideration of them, I'm looking into getting something where I can open/close the valves. Can't right now with the current set up. That being said, can you give me your take on these two options that I've been suggested? Thanks in advance.

Option 1: Keep the current titanium exhaust and put back in the side mufflers as seen in the photo. I was told this would make it a little quieter, but would still have a good sound. I like the idea of this as I would be keeping the exhaust I paid for and the look as well. And I'd be able to control the valves.

Option 2: Put back the stock exhaust and purchase Dundon headers. A lot of people seem to really like Dundon headers. I heard some sound clips of this and sounds pretty good. I'd be able to control valves as well. Not sure how easy it'd be to sell the titanium exhaust.

Overall, please let me know if you have any opinion on my situation. I'm fairly new to any aftermarket changes so your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Current set up:

In option 1, I was told to put these back on:
Use the stock rear muffler with the Dundon's. You will be happy.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:15 AM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 938 Likes on 431 Posts

You can add valved side silencer bypass, the set up which you currently have is just adding a big expansion chamber serving no purpose but will be prone to creating terrible drone, especially due to the way in which that's been designed.

If you want to keep the material titanium we do have titanium valved side silencer bypass which will help reduce the sound when you want using the factory valve button but also retain the big sound with valves open.

https://www.jcr-developments.com/por...ilencer-bypass

Also, our side deletes will support the centre as they're installed with support brackets from the factory side silencer bracket location.

JC

/
/ / JCR PORSCHE \ \ \

contact@jcr-developments.com

Facebook | Instagram | Youtube
Old 12-13-2019, 10:18 AM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 169 Posts

It's hard to tell from the pics but that rear titanium thing looks like a lego set of pipes and bends and the primary looks like it actually has a smaller dia than stock? If you have better pictures that would be great but looking at that I would replace it all. Put everything back to stock, see how you like the sound, and from from there...
bogey1 (12-15-2019)
Old 12-13-2019, 04:18 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 722 Likes on 395 Posts

Find a different neighborhood.
kyrocks (12-14-2019)
Old 12-13-2019, 04:20 PM
Redlinerobert
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 119 Posts

Agreed. Time to move.

If that's not an option I'd go Sharkwerks.
Old 12-13-2019, 04:32 PM
konaforever
Burning Brakes

Received 175 Likes on 86 Posts

You should've said "What? I can't hear you!"
Old 12-15-2019, 09:40 AM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

first start by deciding if you want to make more power. Then move towards something that does. then decide how loud you want it, then move towards something that gives you both I am a firm believer in headers if you can! Most cannot do race headers, so keeping cats are a necessity. Dundon has proved to be a awesome setup and everyone i have ever met. loves the long tube catted headers. Either with the ceter loud or quite or stock center. I did full, long tube, race headers with stock center. fabspeed. but if i had to keep cats, i would have bought dundon. I also started with side deletes, then moved to the full race header. keeping the valves. Its amazing. Dundon race headers are amazing as well. I have not heard the JCR headers but imaging they are very nice too! they also have the race system with valves, and a small silencer to give you piece of mind for your neighbors.

I hate the side mufflers, so it was an emotional "had to go" for me. Just doing side deletes with stock center was so much cleaner, crisper. the side mufflers are really a shame! Prob the worst design anyone could make, but understood why.

Quick Reply: Which route would you go? Exhaust currently too loud!