Sponsored by:

$94,000 centerlock repair

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 09:53 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by mchrono
I would sign it. The reality is guys like me will do a few DE's a year and of course mostly street driving. Traditional lug nuts are preferable for both situations. I affirmatively shun anything that looks like its from a race car but does not actually function as such (aluminum CL's, fake air intakes, uncertified/unsafe roll cages, etc.) The 992 GT cars might be more attractive if Porsche were to give their clients a little more credit and thus the option to order the type of wheel mounting system they prefer. If that were to happen, I would predict the dealers would spec CL's and the customers speccing their own cars would order 5 lug.
If there was an option for 5 lugs the center lock cars would be very rare.
The following users liked this post:
pdxjim (10-30-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 11:56 AM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 424 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
They gave us what we wanted (manual transmissions) despite thinking they knew what was best. Hopefully they will give us a 5-lug option on the 992! What is that saying about the customer always being right?
Old 10-30-2019, 12:23 PM
M3the01
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 164 Posts

Seems like nobody here has ever had bad luck with lugs backing out at the track given the extreme heat... personally, zero issue with the centerlock, i check the lock is in the right position and literally forget about it.

The GT cars are not "Cup Cars", if that is your taste you should move in that dedicated, not street worthy, vehicle. I do think the half-cage is a great additional piece of safety equipment that has found a happy medium.

That said, it would be great to let people get what they like, 5-lug, PCCBs, centerlocks, etc, should be left up to the buyer when we are spending this type of money.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:25 PM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 119 Posts

I noticed the new Lambo Huracan Evo's have both CL and 5 lug wheels.

When I saw the two different versions parked next to each other at Newport Lambo, the first thing I said to myself was be sure to order the 5 lug if I were to get an Evo.
If Lambo offers this option, why can't or won't Porsche?
Old 10-30-2019, 01:38 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by M3the01
Seems like nobody here has ever had bad luck with lugs backing out at the track given the extreme heat... personally, zero issue with the centerlock, i check the lock is in the right position and literally forget about it.
Have you experienced 5-lugs actually backing out at the track (I haven't)? Or have you simply experienced the ability to turn the nuts more with your torque wrench when they are hot at the track? Because this is common, but should never be done (though you see people doing this between sessions all the time). The torque spec is meant to be applied cold. You can easily over-torque if you try again right after coming off the track...

The lug bolts/studs expand with heat (along with other metal parts) and "loosen" when they lengthen. However, the cold torque spec is meant to take this into account. If you re-torque when hot, you have far exceeded the torque spec, once they cool...

It is also good to know if your torque spec is meant as a dry spec or with anti-seize applied to the fasteners as this will greatly affect the tightness achieved with the same torque setting on the wrench.

If you are concerned about losing a wheel at the track, it is best practice to re-torque the lugs just before going out on track again (after cooling in the pits), rather than just after coming off the track while hot.

Last edited by GrantG; 10-30-2019 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:43 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by GiuseppeM
At 2:22 they show a car with mag wheels and they say the rear came off. Even though it can happen... this was found on the Internet... and they do it for the clicks so a more reliable source would be better.
My experience with a wheel coming off is that there can be some serious body damage. Wheel does not shoot straight out but does jam a bit in the wheel well. Was that in the video?
Old 10-31-2019, 12:04 AM
M3the01
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GrantG
Have you experienced 5-lugs actually backing out at the track (I haven't)? Or have you simply experienced the ability to turn the nuts more with your torque wrench when they are hot at the track? Because this is common, but should never be done (though you see people doing this between sessions all the time). The torque spec is meant to be applied cold. You can easily over-torque if you try again right after coming off the track...

The lug bolts/studs expand with heat (along with other metal parts) and "loosen" when they lengthen. However, the cold torque spec is meant to take this into account. If you re-torque when hot, you have far exceeded the torque spec, once they cool...

It is also good to know if your torque spec is meant as a dry spec or with anti-seize applied to the fasteners as this will greatly affect the tightness achieved with the same torque setting on the wrench.

If you are concerned about losing a wheel at the track, it is best practice to re-torque the lugs just before going out on track again (after cooling in the pits), rather than just after coming off the track while hot.
Every factory event I've been to the lugs are checked after each session... Yes I've seen lugs back off, wheels fall off, damage to the wheel before it falls off, damage to fenders, and more. Have u never found a lug a the track? Speak to the track officials too, fun conversations on this subject.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:18 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Every factory event I've been to the lugs are checked after each session... Yes I've seen lugs back off, wheels fall off, damage to the wheel before it falls off, damage to fenders, and more. Have u never found a lug a the track? Speak to the track officials too, fun conversations on this subject.
I once had a wheel fall off a 1970 Ford station wagon I was driving over a bridge, but never lost a lug nut at the track
The following users liked this post:
pdxjim (10-31-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 12:48 AM
Avalon911
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
Doubtful. GTS can be ordered either way. Majority of GTS cars still have CLs.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:52 AM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 424 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by Avalon911
Doubtful. GTS can be ordered either way. Majority of GTS cars still have CLs.
I would go out on a limb and venture to say most of those GTS CL orders were placed by dealers, not customers.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:01 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 519 Likes on 327 Posts

I was overtaking an old beater racer (looked like something out of a Road Warrior movie) at Laguna in the GT4 and took a lug nut off his car into my windshield. I can still hear the sound of it ricocheting off my car. My last thought before it hit was I should really be driving with my helmet visor down.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:13 PM
ljahearn
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

I race formula cars (Ford and Vee), have tracked street cars (a few Porsches), and we have a simple procedure we follow after every session - GOATP, or "goat pee".

Gas
Oil
Air
Torque (lug nuts)
P (driver hydrates and hits the john)

As an aside, we also re-torque the VW axle nuts after every day of track use - using a torque multiplier of course.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:16 PM
M3the01
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RDCR
I was overtaking an old beater racer (looked like something out of a Road Warrior movie) at Laguna in the GT4 and took a lug nut off his car into my windshield. I can still hear the sound of it ricocheting off my car. My last thought before it hit was I should really be driving with my helmet visor down.
Argg, that is rough. Is there a more limited run group, higher end car, group that puts on events? TrackMasters has good terms and conditions as liability is on the driver for damage to course and car, speedDistrict wont change their terms where you can be an idiot and it doesnt matter.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:46 PM
Avalon911
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mchrono
I would go out on a limb and venture to say most of those GTS CL orders were placed by dealers, not customers.
I doubt that as well. Car comes standard with forged CLs. I think its a small minority of buyers that are willing to spec the five lug wheels and still pay for the forged CLs. On either car (GTS or GT3), I think if the five lug wheels came standard and the CLs were optional (with a normal Porsche upcharge), you'd see a lot fewer CLs around. Just my .02
Old 10-31-2019, 09:56 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Avalon911
I doubt that as well. Car comes standard with forged CLs. I think its a small minority of buyers that are willing to spec the five lug wheels and still pay for the forged CLs. On either car (GTS or GT3), I think if the five lug wheels came standard and the CLs were optional (with a normal Porsche upcharge), you'd see a lot fewer CLs around. Just my .02
Interesting - the optional 5-lugs are cast?

Quick Reply: $94,000 centerlock repair