Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$94,000 centerlock repair

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 12:56 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,806 Likes on 1,101 Posts

That grease is just a nickel anti seize. Prevents galling and ensures consistent torque.
porsche recommends the same on the old car Fuchs with aluminum lug nuts to prevent seize and galling from lug to wheel face.

and yes it’s messy stuff.
The following 2 users liked this post by Spyerx:
NightBlueTTS (10-27-2019), rsierra (10-28-2019)
Old 10-27-2019, 03:18 AM
Underblu
Banned

Received 575 Likes on 217 Posts

With the appropriate torque wrench, what makes tightening center locks particularly difficult? It’s not rocket science.

How is it possible that a reputable tire or wheel shop cannot do this correctly? Essentially, tightening a bolt to a specified amount of torque until the bolt clicks. I mean am I missing something.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:30 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,690 Likes on 2,338 Posts

^ prodedure is easy. but try to do it a few times, you will only understand the inconvenience after that. I am in CA, out of power af the moment. hey just power, use flashlight and candles... well it's a lot harder than you think.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:36 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,690 Likes on 2,338 Posts

Originally Posted by M3the01
Honestly, I don't get the hate on centerlocks. U know what I luv, when I goto the track and know everything is tight, because the locks prevent them from backing out. That said, I'm very careful where I bring the car... Just interviewed a well know Porsche shop in the Bay area and they passed, another extremely well known shop failed my test.
ur thought process is correct
but in reality is not always true

EXAMPLE:

I stand at the toilet to pee. I KNOW how to make it right and not spread on the rim and floor.
I bet you do too.
now look closed at your toilet rim..... AGAIN...
did you really made it perfect.

it's do-able in a controlled environment
but when you have to HURRY it up. mistakes happens
and the shops are always in a HURRY in addition of oftentimes lack of competence.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:03 AM
RoyalPink
Burning Brakes

Received 662 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Underblu
With the appropriate torque wrench, what makes tightening center locks particularly difficult? It’s not rocket science.

How is it possible that a reputable tire or wheel shop cannot do this correctly? Essentially, tightening a bolt to a specified amount of torque until the bolt clicks. I mean am I missing something.
As a rule in general. I don't trust guys in their early 20's to do much of anything like this. No disrespect to them. It's just the age, lack of experience and it's a job busting tires to them is all. You're rarely going to find someone who has been doing tires/wheels out in the shop in their 30's/40's. Even though it might cost more and be inconvenient at times. Dealer is the best/safest bet. No substitute for experience. It's like when you get on a flight. You want to see gray hair on the Captain.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:29 AM
ElGrandetango
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 30 Posts

The only guys besides the Dealer and myself I'd let get close to touching my wheels is the guys at TireRack in South Bend,IN.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:15 PM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 119 Posts

When I was looking at the new Lambo Huracan Evos, I noticed they come on both versions - lug nuts and CL.
As to the process being messy, I have taken the wheels off 3 cars w/ CL to work on the suspension so I've done 12 wheel changes in the past year and a half and all I can say is I'm always out of wind and get the lube smeared somewhere every time.
Can we do a petition to Porsche to at least give us the option to order lug nut wheels???
Old 10-27-2019, 12:23 PM
Berjar
Racer

Received 370 Likes on 142 Posts

It would be great to have the option for normal lugs. I would have selected normal lugs if given the option. They do look really cool though and it does make the car look more like a race car.
Old 10-27-2019, 02:16 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 179 Posts

With the proper tools and attention to detail, changing centerlock wheels is simple and, for me at least, enjoyable. Thank you John at RENNtorq for helping me come to this conclusion. Don't believe the hype. As somebody else said above, it's not rocket science.
Old 10-27-2019, 05:09 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 425 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by bli8
......Can we do a petition to Porsche to at least give us the option to order lug nut wheels???
I would sign it. The reality is guys like me will do a few DE's a year and of course mostly street driving. Traditional lug nuts are preferable for both situations. I affirmatively shun anything that looks like its from a race car but does not actually function as such (aluminum CL's, fake air intakes, uncertified/unsafe roll cages, etc.) The 992 GT cars might be more attractive if Porsche were to give their clients a little more credit and thus the option to order the type of wheel mounting system they prefer. If that were to happen, I would predict the dealers would spec CL's and the customers speccing their own cars would order 5 lug.
Old 10-28-2019, 10:38 AM
KM1959
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I love the centerlocks on my car. They're both gorgeous and badass. Plus, they're easier to clean as they don't have five deep recesses to clean. Few will argue the contrary. However, I can see why some are hesitant to mess with them. I've been wrenching on my cars for over 40 years, everything from engine rebuilds to frame off restorations and I have to admit that I had a little apprehension before I remove and replaced my wheels. I bought the giant breaker bar and torque wrench combo and stared at it on my workbench for about two months before trying it out.

Honestly, it was a piece of cake. Other than using the grease, which was not really messy as long as you use some latex gloves and take your time, it was easier than a typical five-lug installation. For the brave, I highly recommend putting on your big boy pants and trying it. Your fears will be put to rest. For the others, you're not going to touch them anyway, so why the complaints?
Old 10-28-2019, 10:45 AM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
With the proper tools and attention to detail, changing centerlock wheels is simple and, for me at least, enjoyable. Thank you John at RENNtorq for helping me come to this conclusion. Don't believe the hype. As somebody else said above, it's not rocket science.
its not difficult but still a chore before each track day, I only let the dealership work on the car but I still re-torque the wheels before every track day myself even if the dealership has worked on the car.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:55 AM
CME
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 71 Posts

Pay the Piper now or later.

My 18 GT3 only goes to SpeedSport or dealer in Danbury for work. I don't want to mess with the CL's. Have all the tools for emergency.
Chet
Old 10-28-2019, 03:26 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I only take my car to the dealer or do work myself. Centerlocks are a pain and I would choose 5 lugs if I could, but it isn't rocket science as many have said. Check the torque before track events and after getting tires changed. Follow PCA procedures of loosening and re-tightening and make sure the lock is engaged. Just remember, stupid people work everywhere. Trust no one and check yourself.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:26 PM
2006m5
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

i’m a first time owner of a gt3 and center locks.
yes it is a pita....but not rocket science i bought a wrench so i torque correct and correct grease.
and yes the spring locks confused me at first until i figured it out the method and reason .
i would like five lugs instead.

Quick Reply: $94,000 centerlock repair