Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone with an Akrapovic center bypass? Or has heard one?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 12:35 AM
Chris-911
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Anyone with an Akrapovic center bypass? Or has heard one?

Hello! I notice a lot of discussion and comparison videos with nice audio of the SW and GRP and GMG bypasses, but haven’t heard much about the Akrapovic option. Just spent the last hour searching through the forums of everything I can find.

Can anyone with an Akrapovic center section (or who has heard one) describe how it sounds in comparison to stock, and other popular bypass options?

Much appreciated.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:56 AM
C5driver
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris-911
Hello! I notice a lot of discussion and comparison videos with nice audio of the SW and GRP and GMG bypasses, but haven’t heard much about the Akrapovic option. Just spent the last hour searching through the forums of everything I can find.

Can anyone with an Akrapovic center section (or who has heard one) describe how it sounds in comparison to stock, and other popular bypass options?

Much appreciated.
After hearing various video clips and cars with GRP/BBi, GMG, SW, and Soul, I chose the Akrapovic center bypass with the Sharkwerks tips. Quality is...well...it's an Akra.

In my opinion, the Akra has a higher pitch under load and a different note when compared with the others, which sound more or less the same. I wanted something different and cost wasn't an issue.

Listen to as many as you can and make your decision. It's very much a personal choice and there isn't a bad system among those listed.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:44 AM
Maverick11
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

Have it. Love it. Has a more exotic tone than the others. Volume on par with SW, quieter than GMG, BBI, GRP design. Only cmb that bolts up properly and has crossover tube like stock muffler. Quality is best in the business. All that said the others are better value for money and sound is subjective. Ive had them all and never had one I wasnt happy with.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:48 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

The Akrapovic is OEM quality but some feel that's not important, and too expensive, for something they can't see. I have the race center/tips with link pipes (stock cats/headers) and thoroughly satisfied with sound which Maverick11 described well. No drone. I posted some photos of my installation elsewhere on RL.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:24 PM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 94 Posts

Had Fabspeed valved side deletes and really liked them. But decided I needed a little more and switched to Akra race slip-on with link pipes. I was concerned it would be too obnoxious loud as I use car occasionally on the street/drive to work. They are just perfect. The cold start is intoxicating. Then at civilized neighborhood drives it is just enough. No problems driving into the hospital garage at work. Loud enough to listen to music/talk on phone on highway. Amazing on higher rpm. Compared to what I had before it seems clearer, like the sound from a cd compared to a cassete. A little more high pitched.

Yes more expensive but to me it is worth the difference. The build quality is impressive. Yeah, I can’t see it. But I can hear it. And if I want to see how it looks I just check these pics!

The following 2 users liked this post by aalencar:
fjpdds (10-17-2019), WheelsB (10-10-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 04:34 PM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 967 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris-911

Much appreciated.
As many other have states the Akra center section is the highest quality exhaust out there. There's a reason why Porsche taps into Akra's expertise every now and then for development of OEM exhaust components and it is the quality + attention to detail. Sound wise there will be others that are louder but this one has the perfect noise improvement over the stock exhaust. Many of my customers have described it as having a deeper tone than what they normally hear.

I have these in-stock ready to ship out. If you need pricing feel free to contact me directly so I can take care of ya.

Wheels Boutique // 786 249 0127 // Sales@wheelsboutique.com
Follow us on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique
Largest Dealer In The World for HRE Wheels, ANRKY Wheels, Vorsteiner Wheels & Aero, Akrapovic Exhaust, & iPE Exhaust
BBS, Forgeline, & TechArt Premium Dealer
Brembo / Rotiform / KW / H&R / Novitec / Brabus / Mansory and tons more...
Old 10-10-2019, 05:44 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I've got the akra center muffler w/ the side deletes, sounds great
Old 10-10-2019, 07:39 PM
Nendo
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

991.2 GT3RS here.

I wanted to increase the volume a bit and wanted a quality piece and decided either JCR and Akrapovic.

Akrapovic race bypass- Went with the Akra race line bypass and tips. Very high quality piece and the tips are great looking ( slightly larger and longer than stock).The car got slightly louder on start up, no drone but car was pretty quiet overall. Very civil, almost too civil. In the upper rev range it was not much louder but also quite smooth, too smooth for my liking.

I wanted a bit more sound

Akrapovic Link pipes- I took the plunge and removed the side mufflers with valves to just the light link pipes with the race bypass. Woah, car was loud, start up loud, low revs loud, high rev loud, highway drone loud. The car felt lighter that's for sure. Was hard to hear the radio now and phone calls were a no go. I didn't mind the upper range being loud but 2-3k rpm range really hurt my ears. The sound is so low and bassy it gave me a headache. Car became obnoxious imo. Now without the valve there was nowhere to hide. My wife could hear my car 5 blocks away. Yikes, something had to be done.

Now what to do?? I want the sound level something in-between the bypass and bypass with link pipes.

Full evolution header set - I removed the link pipes and added the akra evolution header set with side mufflers and valves. Wow the header and side muffler set is nicely crafted. Its light and tight. The side mufflers seem to be half the size of oem. Start up there is a good rumble. More refined than the link pipes. With valve on it is very civil and slightly above stock. Once valve open or above 4k it screams loud, still not as loud as link pipe level but a more refined tighter sound. Also you can feel a bit more torque in the mid range. I now just drive with the valve open, no headaches, I can hear the radio and the car sounds good. Then when I'm close to home or close to the police I pop the valved closed for stealth mode. Perfect.

Overall it was a very pretty penny the route I went with 3 different installs and orders. This is a pricey car as is and I don't think cheaping out is the way to go. A good JCR setup, Dundon power pack or Akrapovic system seems like the go to options.

Big thanks to Eric from Supreme power for hooking this all up. He is a good man.

Last edited by Nendo; 10-10-2019 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:07 PM
RoyalPink
Burning Brakes

Received 662 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Nendo
991.2 GT3RS here.

I wanted to increase the volume a bit and wanted a quality piece and decided either JCR and Akrapovic.

Akrapovic race bypass- Went with the Akra race line bypass and tips. Very high quality piece and the tips are great looking ( slightly larger and longer than stock).The car got slightly louder on start up, no drone but car was pretty quiet overall. Very civil, almost too civil. In the upper rev range it was not much louder but also quite smooth, too smooth for my liking.

Akrapovic Link pipes- I took the plunge and removed the side mufflers with valves to just the light link pipes with the race bypass. Woah, car was loud, start up loud, low revs loud, high rev loud, highway drone loud. The car felt lighter that's for sure. Was hard to hear the radio now and phone calls were a no go. I didn't mind the upper range being loud but 2-3k rpm range really hurt my ears. The sound is so low and bassy it gave me a headache. Car became obnoxious imo. Now without the valve there was nowhere to hide. My wife could hear my car 5 blocks away. Yikes, something had to be done.

Now what to do?? I want the sound level something in-between the bypass and bypass with link pipes.

Full evolution header set - I removed the link pipes and added the akra evolution header set with side mufflers and valves. Wow the header and side muffler set is nicely crafted. Its light and tight. The side mufflers seem to be half the size of oem. Start up there is a good rumble. More refined than the link pipes. With valve on it is very civil and slightly above stock. Once valve open or above 4k it screams loud, still not as loud as link pipe level but a more refined tighter sound. Also you can feel a bit more torque in the mid range. I now just drive with the valve open, no headaches, I can hear the radio and the car sounds good. Then when I'm close to home or close to the police I pop the valved closed for stealth mode. Perfect.

Overall it was a very pretty penny the route I went with 3 different installs and orders. This is a pricey car as is and I don't think cheaping out is the way to go. A good JCR setup, Dundon power pack or Akrapovic system seems like the go to options.

No issues with a CEL? I thought their recommendation was some ECU remapping for this setup. How much louder would you say the Akra race line bypass was percentage wise over stock. By your description, I would assume/guess 20% or so. Thank you for taking the time to write this btw.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:11 PM
horns
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 106 Posts

Is the akra center with side deletes similar to the HCR race pipe 8n terms of loudness? All mufflers are removed in bothe cases, but the exhaust path length is different.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:17 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 179 Posts

Have center only on my Touring. Underwhelming in my opinion. Plan on doing race sides as well to enhance. This is, of course, all very subjective.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:33 PM
GT325
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
Have center only on my Touring. Underwhelming in my opinion. Plan on doing race sides as well to enhance. This is, of course, all very subjective.
Doesn't sound underwhelming to me on my car or yours when I'm behind you. Lol. That being said I have also toyed with the idea of adding valved side muffler delete to the akra race center bypass. Problem is my touring is really loud when cruising on highway above 75mph or so not sure I want it any louder when cruising on highway.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:36 PM
Nendo
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyalPink
No issues with a CEL? I thought their recommendation was some ECU remapping for this setup. How much louder would you say the Akra race line bypass was percentage wise over stock. By your description, I would assume/guess 20% or so. Thank you for taking the time to write this btw.
No CEL issue at all so far. Only been on for a week . I have been told the system will prob not even ever throw a code.

Subjectively speaking :
Just race bypass. Maybe 15-20% louder than stock on avg.
Race bypass with link pipes. I would say 100-120%
Full evo system I would say 25-35% louder with valve on and 70-80% open

I have heard a .2 RS with a sharkwerks bypass and I would place that at around 30-40% louder than stock

Honestly the Evolution system might be still too quiet for half the people on here, In that case just get the race header set. I doubt the race header set will pass the DB restriction on most tracks which was also a factor for me.

Last edited by Nendo; 10-10-2019 at 08:54 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:50 PM
SupremePower
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,398 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by Nendo
991.2 GT3RS here.

Big thanks to Eric from Supreme power for hooking this all up. He is a good man.
Glad we could get you the perfect set up! Thank you for the kind words

AKRAPOVIC Exhausts are in stock in all configurations ready to install or ship

World's Largest Retailer/Distributor of BBS Motorsport & Street Wheels from 2015-2023
Huge Inventory: BBS, Kline, Brembo, Soul, Recaro, KW, Akrapovic & 200+ brands. Installation available
** Retail & Wholesale ** Global Delivery ** We match/beat any authorized dealer's price **

SupremePower.com // SupremeForged.com // Follow SupremePower on IG

Old 10-10-2019, 08:52 PM
SupremePower
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,398 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyalPink
We have had no CEL issues w any of the exhaust configurations.

Quick Reply: Anyone with an Akrapovic center bypass? Or has heard one?