Willow springs or auto speedway oval

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 12:38 PM
welikethetrack
Burning Brakes

Received 673 Likes on 365 Posts
Default Willow springs or auto speedway oval

Hey guys,

probably going to do a last minute registration at auto speedway roval or willow springs for tomorrow. Does anyone have 2 cents on which ones better? I’ve actually never tracked either of these places. It’s the willow springs big track btw not streets.

Thanks in advance
Old 10-04-2019, 12:54 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 424 Likes on 264 Posts

As a proud member of the "turn 9 sand and gravel club", I would have to say that if you have never driven either, then Big Willow 100%!
Old 10-04-2019, 01:30 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 143 Posts

I prefer ACS...you get both high speed and some slow technical...and it’s a nicer facility. But I would make my decision based on who is running the events.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:36 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 286 Likes on 131 Posts

Willow Springs because of more technical elements, things to learn and less risk of an outside tire blow-up.

At Cal Speedwat, I've seen too many new drivers pushing over 120mph on the NASCAR turn, and I have witnessed crashes from my driver's seat on that specific spot. It is not a track to learn track driving, more like a small group of very slow turns, lots of drag racing in the infield, lots of full throttle sections that don't reward good driving. It's too easy, too simple, aero is almost useless, just add horsepower and bragging rights.
Old 10-04-2019, 02:10 PM
Smoking Rotors
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by A/S
Willow Springs because of more technical elements, things to learn and less risk of an outside tire blow-up.

At Cal Speedwat, I've seen too many new drivers pushing over 120mph on the NASCAR turn, and I have witnessed crashes from my driver's seat on that specific spot. It is not a track to learn track driving, more like a small group of very slow turns, lots of drag racing in the infield, lots of full throttle sections that don't reward good driving. It's too easy, too simple, aero is almost useless, just add horsepower and bragging rights.

This^^

Auto Club: there's a lot more to hit than at Willow Springs... manage your tire pressures religiously, especially the outside front on the curved high speed straight.
Old 10-04-2019, 02:21 PM
welikethetrack
Burning Brakes

Okay, sounds like Willow springs is the choice.

Speed ventures is at the speedway which I know I have been to buttonwillow with them before and maybe sonoma and some club ive never heard of called west coast racing is at willow springs.

So I'd give the nod to speed ventures as the better event people but I really don't know.
Old 10-04-2019, 02:22 PM
welikethetrack
Burning Brakes

I should add, I'll probably bring My M4 so I can get much more aggressive at a track I have never been to and not be as nervous about hitting anything.
Old 10-04-2019, 02:40 PM
welikethetrack
Burning Brakes

UPDATE: West coast racing does not allow passengers and they are preliminary sold out anyways this last second. although it does say you can show up day of and register...

anyways, I'll see anyone at ACS tomorrow if you go!
Old 10-04-2019, 03:50 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by welikethetrack
UPDATE: West coast racing does not allow passengers and they are preliminary sold out anyways this last second. although it does say you can show up day of and register...

anyways, I'll see anyone at ACS tomorrow if you go!
I don’t agree that ACS is an ‘easy’ track- it rewards good driving like any other, but it is a point and shoot infield, good or bad. I like it as it plays to my strengths (braking and slower corner rotation/exit). I’ve only raced there, so we are drafting down the banking- some clubs I’ve seen limit top speed through there for safety...
Old 10-04-2019, 04:20 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by welikethetrack
Speed ventures is at the speedway which I know I have been to buttonwillow with them before and maybe sonoma and some club ive never heard of called west coast racing is at willow springs.

So I'd give the nod to speed ventures as the better event people but I really don't know.
SpeedVentures is great if you like playing bumper cars with your Porsche (or M4). I don't know anything about West Coast Racing, but it can't be worse than SV.

Good luck, be VERY careful, and don't be afraid to cut your day short if you find yourself around idiots. Vehicle damage is a very real thing at SV events.
Old 10-04-2019, 06:21 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,983 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Speed Ventures has way too many cars in their groups with too many yahoos. I only stick with Speed District, PCA, BMW CCA, and POC along with private days. Buttonwillow and Chuckwalla are way better tracks than Willow Springs and ACS in my opinion.
Old 10-04-2019, 07:24 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 286 Likes on 131 Posts

...in my Spec Boxter, ACS was full gas for over 40 secs from last 2nd to last turn on the infield to 1st turn on infield entry. Truly boring and slow (my car wouldn't get more than 128mph Traqmate speed).

Now in my 997 GT3RS on slicks, it was fun, 12 secs faster a lap than the Spec-Boxster, and not boring at all, but compared to WSIR, WSIR is more challenging and technical and there is more separation between driver's skills.

any track time is better than couch time (although both are seat time)...
Old 10-04-2019, 08:12 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 424 Likes on 264 Posts

and Big Willow is sort of a local "reference track" you can use to compare laptimes with your car buddies at the pub or online, so there is that.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:41 PM
welikethetrack
Burning Brakes

wow you guys are really scaring me hahahaha, usually afternoon is empty on any track days whenever I go. I'll play it safe until then. Maybe it will free up hahahaa
Old 10-04-2019, 10:52 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by A/S
...in my Spec Boxter, ACS was full gas for over 40 secs from last 2nd to last turn on the infield to 1st turn on infield entry. Truly boring and slow (my car wouldn't get more than 128mph Traqmate speed).

Now in my 997 GT3RS on slicks, it was fun, 12 secs faster a lap than the Spec-Boxster, and not boring at all, but compared to WSIR, WSIR is more challenging and technical and there is more separation between driver's skills.

any track time is better than couch time (although both are seat time)...
At ACS we hit up to almost 140 drafting in our little spec racers, it takes it to a different level and is definitely not boring! I do like WSIR too, although if you are inexperienced I would say this is one track where you can get into more trouble since it's really a ***** out track in many places and while runoff areas are fairly safe, there have been cases of roll overs. T1, T2 and T9 are all 90 MPH plus long corners- T9 is like 105. OK maybe if you are a rookie and are at 80% it's no biggie, but once you start probing for speed it gets hairy fast. I do like it.

Quick Reply: Willow springs or auto speedway oval