Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How do you heel/toe in your MT GT3?
Regular Heel/Toe
22.62%
Faster Heel/Toe
25.00%
"Early" Blip Heel/Toe
4.76%
Let the computer do it for me - auto-blip/sports button
36.90%
Neither, I don't care about being butter smooth
4.76%
What is Heel/Toe
2.38%
I use PDK b/c it is "betteR"
9.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: How do you heel/toe downshift?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 10:32 AM
geoorlando
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

[QUOTE=Gesler;17207167]I think the options are difficult to understand. Hard to put in words what is done in seconds.

<<The rev marching feature seems to blip the throttle as the clutch pedal comes up. I tend to blip the throttle as the shifter goes into the new gear.>>

Does it? I will check but I am almost certain in my previous and current MT6 GT3s the Auto-Blip of the throttle occurs when you actually put the gear lever into the lower gear before the clutch pedal is released (comes up) and the gear is engaged and not when the clutch is released.

I guess my point is that if this is the way the Auto-Blip features works (blip when the gear shifter is put into the lower gear, prior to releasing the clutch), is this not closest to #2 in the poll?

Best,

G.

Old 02-03-2021, 12:56 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 326 Posts

Interesting reading all the replies...I own a GT2 RS so PDK but in my previous 997.1 TT 6MT I would double clutch it sometimes just out of habit (plus my 2008 Jeep at the time had to be double clutched due to the tranny gears/synchronizers being less then OEM spec tolerances) and was really working hard to become proficient at rev matching when down shifting (heel and side of foot shifting)...I used the Senna video someone posted as my target along with some others on youtube. I didn't particularly care for the standard throttle and clutch pedals in the 997 and had I kept the car I had planned to change to Gunther Werks (I believe it was GW but it may have been a different brand). As an aside, in the modern scooter world, though the cornering dynamics are different, a slipper clutch is employed to ease the torque take up transition when the clutch is let out rather then worry about trying to match revs. I have often wondered if a form of slipper clutch could be effectively employable in four wheel motorsports too.

Last edited by usrodeo4; 02-03-2021 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:43 PM
horns
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrappy1972
Not giving up much ground to pdk there. If you close your eyes, it doesn't sound like a manual.
Old 02-04-2021, 02:24 AM
R35driver
Racer

Received 236 Likes on 121 Posts

the manual cars dont give up much ground to pdk if you know what you're doing. it comes down to how fast you can move a lever vs flick a paddle.

Last edited by R35driver; 02-04-2021 at 02:26 AM.
Old 02-04-2021, 02:44 AM
inverterman
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 188 Posts
Smile Timing is Everything

Originally Posted by iphilips
Lol, ok. If you can drive like that you're excused from the poll

Hahaha! :-) Fantastic.

Option 2 works best in most cars. Some laps pushing a newly rebuilt engine. BMW 325is, BMW CCA Prepared car. Lower HP, (276) a bit heavy (2985lbs) , but fun none-the-less.

Last edited by inverterman; 02-04-2021 at 03:30 AM.
Old 02-05-2021, 12:44 AM
Gesler
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by geoorlando

Does it? I will check but I am almost certain in my previous and current MT6 GT3s the Auto-Blip of the throttle occurs when you actually put the gear lever into the lower gear before the clutch pedal is released (comes up) and the gear is engaged and not when the clutch is released.

I guess my point is that if this is the way the Auto-Blip features works (blip when the gear shifter is put into the lower gear, prior to releasing the clutch), is this not closest to #2 in the poll?

Best,

G.
Yes, option 2 is what I do but when using the auto rev-match feature, the duration of revving up is shorter and yet perfect. I thought the difference was that auto rev feature is doing it after the shifter is in the new slot and the clutch is beginning to be released. I don't use the rev match feature during street driving but will check it next time and see if I am correct. As noted, I find it difficult to read/write this; one of those things where seeing it is far more easier than saying it.

Quick Reply: Poll: How do you heel/toe downshift?