Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a reasonable P-car for my college daughter

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 10:24 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Since you said P-car and mentioned that she is into performance driving etc, I assume the SUVs are out.

I'd get her a 981 base Cayman. Cheaper than a 911. Very functional and convenient with two trunks. I also think it looks better than a 911. Cool and sexy.

If your price point is higher, then a 981 Cayman S. If higher still then a 991.1 Base.

More importantly, I'd give her a price cap and let her pick. She will love and appreciate you more. I assume she has an opinion since she designed/spec'd your GT3T.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:19 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

cars get destroyed in college - literally. I would buy her a cheap / beater, and let her come home and spend time in a nicer car (yours).
The following users liked this post:
ajw45 (08-15-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 01:32 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,053 Posts

No, you should not buy your daughter a Porsche while she’s in college, lol.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike Murphy:
ajw45 (08-15-2019), Napoli (08-15-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 08:05 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by A/S
..more details.

I have driven all the generations of Boxster/Cayman on competitive venues, as well as track days, mountain driving, daily duties, errands, etc.

After the 9A1 engine was released (2009 with the 987.2 and 997.2), the fear of engine sudden failures due to IMS bearing disappeared. Porsche also fixed the power steering pump issues with the 987.2.

The 9A1 has proven to be the most solid Porsche engine, even better in my opinion than the Mezger (Mezger was expensive, heavy, and they had their fair share of failures in my older 911 GT cars). You can trace the lineage of the 9A1 from the 2.9 (non-DFI) to the current 991 Speedster 4.0, GT2RS ClubSport, and the GT3Cup/GT3R/GT4CS race cars.

Pre 2009, the only worthy engine is the Mezger and it is only found in the Turbo/TurboS, GT2/GT3 and RS, these cars are too expensive or too much for College campus.

The 987.2 (2009-2012) comes with the best steering feel from any modern Porsche. It is far better than any Porsche GT2/GT3 ever made, it has to do with the lightweight car (a base Cayman 2.9 can be in the 2,800 lbs range) and better weight distribution. The 987.1 has this steering feeling too, but you want a dependable car for a college student.

265Hp is more than enough fun for a street car with 2,800 lbs. On U.S. roads, the low speed limits don't require big HP cars to have a joyful experience.

The brakes are oversized for a street car. You can only overheat the base Cayman brakes on a racetrack and driving at a good pace. If track use is intended, just Castrol SRF, proper track pads, and the GT3 cooling ducts for the front axle, should be fine.

This car makes more engine noise/intake noise than muffler/exhaust noise. The engine rotates a few inches away from your ear drums, the mechanical sounds are so rewarding, they have a nice high pitch mechanical sound from all the rotating parts.

Looks, it is a car that looks more expensive than what it is. The view on the side mirrors to the rear hips is pretty. The car has very nice lines.

Value: In my opinion, this car is one of the best values on anything sport car. It truly is a sport car, but it is not an exotic. You can drive it every day. It is practical, lots of storage, the frunk is massive, and so is the trunk. These cars are priced in the used market in the mid $20k, most college kids show up to campus on cars in that price range, but they are driving a 50% depreciation in 2 or less years Nissan/Corolla/Civic/Golf/Prius (they all look the same to me, and they are all CVT or automatic). You need to add 60k miles to depreciate a Cayman 2.9 another $10k, but you don't need to drive any of the mentioned little appliances on wheels to lose the same.

As always, buy the owner not the car. There are gems out there. The Cayman 987.2 came out when we were deep into the last recession, so PCNA didn't sell a lot of them.

Going to the next gen car (981), the car got bigger, steering feeling went missing as it is not there yet (not even in my GT3RS with a full rose joints suspension), get way more expensive, and the experience won't get any better. Then the late 718, well if Porsche sales on 718s are an indication of how much love there is for that 4cyl horrid sound engine, there is the clear answer. Most 718s on the streets are super discounted Lease deals, some Porsche dealers won't even take them on trade.

Of course, there is the DFI 987.2 S, and the Cayman R, but the price difference doesn't make them better U.S. street cars, just better racetrack or track day cars.

A mid $20k dependable, fun and pretty collegue car is a sensible choice.
Exceptionally put and couldn't agree more.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:05 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,384 Likes on 803 Posts

A 987.2 cayman or boxster is a great car but do you really think it wise to give any college aged person a fancy sports car? I mean maybe hundreds are falling out of your pockets, but to the average college student, that car will look very 1%er. Maybe nothing comes of it, but in general it is likely to get parking lot damage, door dings, interior damage etc. it will also be useless if she needs to move anything larger than a few duffle bags.

Realistically, something like a golf gti or even a bmw 335i might make more sense. Still fun to drive with lower insurance, lower repair/maintenance costs, and less pretentiousness
Napoli (08-15-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 11:12 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
A 987.2 cayman or boxster is a great car but do you really think it wise to give any college aged person a fancy sports car? I mean maybe hundreds are falling out of your pockets, but to the average college student, that car will look very 1%er. Maybe nothing comes of it, but in general it is likely to get parking lot damage, door dings, interior damage etc. it will also be useless if she needs to move anything larger than a few duffle bags.

Realistically, something like a golf gti or even a bmw 335i might make more sense. Still fun to drive with lower insurance, lower repair/maintenance costs, and less pretentiousness
I had a new 987.1 Cayman at one of the most liberal colleges in the country. No one ever messed with it and it was parked in the school lots. Other than the move into and out of my apartment I didn't need a large car.

A few years later I had an F150 FX4 and got keyed in the same lot.

The insurance was $6/mo more than I paid for a Honda Civic SI.

If your daughter is responsible and not just a fake car enthusiast like my wife - get her the Porsche.
evilfij (08-15-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 11:38 AM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 273 Likes on 131 Posts

My first car was a VW Jetta I bought at an auction with 177k miles. Put another 150k miles on it. Surprisingly reliable. Was manual though
Old 08-15-2019, 02:46 PM
AhsanU
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
I moved my wife out of a small car recently (she's never had an accident in her life and in her mid 40s). It doesn't matter how good of a driver your daughter is when a Suburban hits her in a small car. There is a simple mass and momentum problem daily driving a small car these days, especially an old one. Let her borrow your GT3 and get her something safe.
This x10000

It may be fun/a nice gesture to get a sports car that's already depreciated and is fun to drive, but if you care for her safety then I would consider a more sensible car that can take a beating in terms of long term reliability AND in case there's an accident.

BMW M3/M5, Golf R, Audi RS4, etc. there are many manual transmission cars that are more suited for safer driving than an older Porsche. Besides, if she's going be in college, I assume she might want to drive a group of friends around? Can't really do that in a sports car.

But if you absolutely must, a 997.2 or a 987 are two P-cars that easily stand out.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:49 PM
06C2s
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

i Got a 74 Targa for my daughter to drive and AX and she actually went for a drive down PCH yesterday with one of her girlfriends, but it’s staying home. She has a 4wd Toyota 4Runner that she takes to college Monday, best of both worlds to me.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:56 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 82 Posts

Reasonable and Porsche don't belong together. Get her a Corolla. Don't be like those internationals spoiling their kids with Lambos, which is a thing on college campuses.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:13 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tqevo
Reasonable and Porsche don't belong together. Get her a Corolla. Don't be like those internationals spoiling their kids with Lambos, which is a thing on college campuses.
Porsche produces over 200k cars per year now. Let's not pretend these things are that special anymore. I bet the 20 year younger version of me is drooling over the local doctor's McLaren instead of his 993. Porsche's trying to attach the Motorsport division to everything they build now - even the Boxster just joined the party (which in fairness it looks like a great car).

I just wonder when we get the "Motorsport-lite" models like BMW M-sport? The Porsche Macan "GT-sport"
Old 08-15-2019, 03:21 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AhsanU
This x10000

It may be fun/a nice gesture to get a sports car that's already depreciated and is fun to drive, but if you care for her safety then I would consider a more sensible car that can take a beating in terms of long term reliability AND in case there's an accident.

BMW M3/M5, Golf R, Audi RS4, etc. there are many manual transmission cars that are more suited for safer driving than an older Porsche. Besides, if she's going be in college, I assume she might want to drive a group of friends around? Can't really do that in a sports car.

But if you absolutely must, a 997.2 or a 987 are two P-cars that easily stand out.
Do you actually have any data showing those cars are safer? I'm guessing since they're a bit bigger they might be a bit safer in an accident but the Cayman might be less likely to get in one in the first place - hence the good insurance premiums. You mentioned reliability but I'm guessing the 9a1 is actually a more reliable motor than all of the cars you just mentioned. You don't really think a heavily boosted 2.0l engine is going to be long-term reliable do you?

If dad can afford a ~$180,000 GT3, it seems pretty reasonable to buy a cheaper Porsche for his daughter to enjoy at college. I doubt dad's world will end if she dings her $25-40k car.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:55 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 286 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by AhsanU
This x10000

...actually a 987.2 Cayman is safer (active and passive) than everything mentioned above. While I don't consider those cars unsafe (like a Corolla and Civic are), Porsche builds a Cayman to handle and be crashed at speeds much higher than 155mph which is what BMW/Audi/MB do (and 130mph if we talk VW).

Take a nice look at wrecked exotics and compare a 987.2 or 987.1 to all the other car mentioned. All Porsche bodies since the 986 are built like a tank. Maybe the M5 could compare in body strength, but all others (3 series, Golf, A4) not a chance.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:18 PM
loungin
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Newer cars are safer than older cars so I vote 981 for a DD for family members over the 987.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:34 PM
SP2000
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

OP: Your money do as you wish. But Jezuz, a Porsche for a college kid? Dude!!

Where do you go from there upon graduation? A Maybach? Part of why the yuuutes of today are never happy is because their parents gave them everything and provided instant gratification. Princess says jump, daddy says how high sweetheart?

When I was in college I drove a beat up Chevy Cavalier with 100K miles (which in Cavalier years is the equivalent of 300K Camry miles ). It was a hot piece of garbage but it got me from point A to B. And then when I graduated and had a couple of bucks I bought a new Accord. Which was the most amazing car ever because, well, it wasn't a POS Cavalier. Then a few years later I had some more money and bought a BMW. And so on. And each step up was a big deal to me and I appreciated what I had. I grew up fairly well off but I was never spoiled and I'm forever grateful that my parens didn't do that.
The following 2 users liked this post by SP2000:
Marv (08-17-2019), myw (09-04-2019)

Quick Reply: Looking for a reasonable P-car for my college daughter