Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goodyear supercar 3r - anyone try them yet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 02:44 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 797 Likes on 453 Posts

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/ar...r-and-pirelli/

Peter
Old 01-21-2021, 04:54 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by jmenczer
I finally discovered the Supercar 3R last year, I’ve spent plenty of time on PSC, PSC2, Corsa, Trofeo R, RE11, RE71R & fast Yokes among others. Sadly I haven’t tried the PSC2R....however they are also ferociously overpriced. The 3R is super sticky, definitely faster that Trofeo R, and closer in slip characteristics to a Hoosier R7 than a PSC2. It’s my new favorite street performance tyre!

Probably will wear out very fast, but considering the reasonable cost, seems like good value to me. Especially if mounted on a weekend driver, where I find myself throwing away tyres that have cycled or timed out on some cars after 3-5 years, even though there is meat on them.

They have definitely sizes for 997 GT3 RS & McLaren 675LT.
What sizes are you running?
Old 01-31-2021, 02:11 AM
TheStiglet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

997 GT3 RS
245/35ZR-19
325/30ZR-19

McLaren 12C/650S/675LT
235/35-19
305/30-20
These are the factory sizes, which are available and provide plenty of grip.

But there are larger options:
245/35-19 easily fit
325/30-20 can fit with the right rear wheel size/offset.
Old 02-20-2021, 02:46 PM
Bonzai30
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I too have been really interested in trying out the Supercar 3R tires on my 991.2 GT3. The odd thing is that the Supercar 3R 305s in the rear are specified for 10.5” to 11.5” wheels, and the GT3 has 12” wheels, so Discount Tire and TireRack don’t recommend non-OEM 305 tires for the rear GT3 wheels. I’m assuming that, since the GT3 OEM Dunlops and Michelin’s are also 305s and are also recommended only for wheels up to 11.5”, it would be perfectly fine to try the Supercar 3R 305s on the rear of my GT3, but I’m no expert on tire fitment, so this has me wondering a bit. Please let me know what you think on this. If it seems okay, I’ll give the 3Rs a try and report back.

On a related note, I’ve done a lot of background research on tires on Rennlist and wanted to thank everyone for their helpful input on the trade offs of the various tire options. I’ve had a couple sets of Sport Cup 2s and a couple sets of the Dunlop Sport Maxx Race 2s on the GT3, and I agree with OrthoJoe that the Dunlops are a bit slower than the SC2 early hero laps but are more consistent after a few heat cycles. I also think the Dunlops lose traction more progressively and think they brake a bit better, so, on balance, I’d go with the Dunlops before the Sport Cup 2s. But, like the Michelins, the Dunlops only last 3 - 3.5 track days, and the Dunlops are really expensive. I’m very curious if there’s another tire that’s also consistent, has great grip and is les expensive, which is why I want to check out the Supercar 3Rs.

Let me know if you think there’s any reason I should be concerned about 305 width tires on my 12” rear wheels.

Last edited by Bonzai30; 02-20-2021 at 02:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LagunaFanatic (05-28-2021)
Old 02-28-2022, 12:57 PM
srwhitman
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

I am thinking to try the Goodyear Eagle Supercar 3R. Its inexpensive - the rears are available but the fronts are not. DiscountTireDirect shows both available that but thats a lie. They claim they don't have resources to update the website but when you go and put in your order, the next day they email/text/call to let me know they aren't available. :-(

Trofeo R review (they are like crack - love 'em but they don't last long and cost a bunch. BTW, I contacted Pirelli - there are 3 versions of the rear of this tire for the GT3 and on Pirelli's website they go into details. The L is Lamborghini, the M is McLaren - you want the "other one" which happens to be the least expensive and the only one that apparently is ok on a 12" rim. I think the question the original poster had is valid for the Goodyears - are they ok on a 12" rim? I have no idea. I would hope so. @Bonzai30 did you try them? @jplohg am I to understand that is what you did? I do like the Trofeos but I'm thinking maybe to run the MPSC2R on the fronts. For some reason, TireRack has the "Connect" version cheaper! I figured I'd give them a try.

I had wanted to try the MPSC2R all the way around - I figured if they last as long as the MPSC2 then they are in effect cheaper than the Trofeo R as the Trofeo R lasts only about half as many track days (for me at least). I get 3 and there is maybe 2mm tread left. I wouldn't mind going to a local track on that but would have to risk having to leave mid-day if the belt goes through and of course absolutely can't drive in the wet (then again, I think all of these are a lost cause in the wet).

Quick Reply: Goodyear supercar 3r - anyone try them yet?