Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goodyear supercar 3r - anyone try them yet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 09:20 AM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 101 Posts

For those running 265/35/19 and 325/30/19 the tires 3Rs are about $500 less than the Trofeo Rs, which is compelling enough to give them a try.
The following 2 users liked this post by krell:
9914s (01-30-2020), Porschestitute (01-29-2020)
Old 01-30-2020, 01:32 AM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 759 Likes on 386 Posts

I have a 2019 ZL1 1LE and the 3Rs are the stock tire. They are fantastic on the track, but wear out super fast. About twice as fast as a Cup2 on my 3RS and twice as fast as Nittos on the Camaro. The Goodyear 3R's are 4 seconds faster a lap than the Nittos. Tough compromise. They always cord on the inside. I went through two sets on 1200 miles before I swtiched to the Nittos. Another option is to try the 3 instead of the 3R.

The following users liked this post:
usrodeo4 (01-21-2021)
Old 03-01-2020, 01:59 PM
RRRacing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 148 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by joejenie
I have a 2019 ZL1 1LE and the 3Rs are the stock tire. They are fantastic on the track, but wear out super fast. About twice as fast as a Cup2 on my 3RS and twice as fast as Nittos on the Camaro. The Goodyear 3R's are 4 seconds faster a lap than the Nittos. Tough compromise. They always cord on the inside. I went through two sets on 1200 miles before I swtiched to the Nittos. Another option is to try the 3 instead of the 3R.

We got a set for our Supercharged 991.... thought it’ll hold us over till track season starts, but I corded the rears in 1000 miles of aggressive street use.

Still plan on trying the 3R as a dedicated track tire, as we can at least drive them to track on track day.

Rafi
Old 03-02-2020, 04:09 PM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by RRRacing
We got a set for our Supercharged 991.... thought it’ll hold us over till track season starts, but I corded the rears in 1000 miles of aggressive street use.

Still plan on trying the 3R as a dedicated track tire, as we can at least drive them to track on track day.

Rafi
Did your 1000 miles include burnouts??? Or does your car have lots of negative camber and cording inside while street driven? If not, then these are the fastest wearing tires I've heard of.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:51 PM
RRRacing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 148 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by bli8
Did your 1000 miles include burnouts??? Or does your car have lots of negative camber and cording inside while street driven? If not, then these are the fastest wearing tires I've heard of.

Did some launches, not many, and no burnouts. The Supercar 3R are 60 treadware I believe, vs Cup2 which are 200, but still I was surprised we only got 1000 out of them. Tire wear was very even.

Rafi
Old 05-28-2020, 01:54 PM
jplohg
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW, only the tears continue to be available. Even tho websites show Gt3 size front available, they are not and I can’t get any info from dealers or Goodyear about when/if they will ever be available. I’m going to run the rears with a set of trofeo r’s on the front simply because I am tired of having
4 rears sitting ready but unissued in my garage.
Old 06-19-2020, 07:50 AM
997 tt/rs
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Guys, anyone tested RS? this tire has been on the market for a year...
Old 06-19-2020, 09:58 AM
jplohg
Instructor

Still waiting on the fronts to come available. Can’t get any answers out of Goodyear. I’m just going to use the rears with Trofeo R fronts just to get rid of them. So disappointing. If this tire were even close to as good as trofeo r, Goodyear could sell tons of them to the GT3 and McLaren track crowd given their price point. 😤
Old 08-14-2020, 07:12 PM
jplohg
Instructor

Reporting back on the Goodyear 3R. As I said above, since I can’t get the fronts, I decided to use the Goodyear 3R rears I bought in combination with Trofeo Rs on the front.

I have used this combo on my 15 GT3 for two days at the track now and I am happy to report that the 3R is every bit as good or even better than the trofeo R.

My car is set up neutral, so I figured I would feel a tad bit more oversteer/looseness with a possibly less grippy set of tires on the rear. Didn’t happen at all. The 3Rs are fantastic. So much so that I’m going to continue to buy them for my rears (even if they never make the fronts) and keep putting Trofeo Rs n the front.

Mismatched tires sounds very out of character, but at a much lower price than the Trofeo Rs and zero compromise at the track, no brainer for me. Saves me about $500-600 per set. If Goodyear ever makes the fronts, a full set would be every bit of $1,000 less than the Trofeo Rs.

We need PCA to lobby Goodyear...
Old 08-14-2020, 07:17 PM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by jplohg
Reporting back on the Goodyear 3R. As I said above, since I can’t get the fronts, I decided to use the Goodyear 3R rears I bought in combination with Trofeo Rs on the front.

I have used this combo on my 15 GT3 for two days at the track now and I am happy to report that the 3R is every bit as good or even better than the trofeo R.

My car is set up neutral, so I figured I would feel a tad bit more oversteer/looseness with a possibly less grippy set of tires on the rear. Didn’t happen at all. The 3Rs are fantastic. So much so that I’m going to continue to buy them for my rears (even if they never make the fronts) and keep putting Trofeo Rs n the front.

Mismatched tires sounds very out of character, but at a much lower price than the Trofeo Rs and zero compromise at the track, no brainer for me. Saves me about $500-600 per set. If Goodyear ever makes the fronts, a full set would be every bit of $1,000 less than the Trofeo Rs.

We need PCA to lobby Goodyear...
Let's petition Goodyear...
https://www.ipetitions.com

or

www.change.org

???
Old 08-14-2020, 07:22 PM
jplohg
Instructor

Originally Posted by bli8
Let's petition Goodyear...
https://www.ipetitions.com

or

www.change.org

???
either one. Count me in.
Old 08-14-2020, 07:49 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,012 Likes on 473 Posts

the R sounds like a GREAT alternative choice if they would homologate them for porsche sizes!
Old 08-14-2020, 08:17 PM
jplohg
Instructor

Originally Posted by sechsgang
the R sounds like a GREAT alternative choice if they would homologate them for porsche sizes!
therein lies the rub. Goodyear slayed the full set for production, I.e the rears I have, but they never came through with the fronts. I had bought the rears hoping they would finally ale the fronts like they promised, alas, four 3R rears sitting in my garage with nowhere to go.

Hence, my 50/50 solution above. Accidentally found a new Tire setup That I like best and saves money. Sometimes better to be lucky than smart...
Old 08-14-2020, 09:40 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 368 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I didn't think they made them in the right size for the front, only the rear? Those are the OEM tire for the camaro ZL1 1LE. Different car, but the fast guys using these tires tell me the first day is very fast. The 2nd day is slower and the front tires are bald by the end of the 2nd day. Im curious if Goodyear will be releasing these tires in the US.

https://youtu.be/xg4Tqtbuq9I

The F1 supersport R appears to be the same exact tire as the dunlop sport maxx race2, and the F1 supersport RS is supposed to be equivalent to the cup2R. If the F1 supersport RS is faster than the 1-2 sessions you get out of the cup2R, that would be interesting to try out.

lisocayman uses his car on the track. PS4S are good for a street tire. Wrong tire for his intended use.
Was wondering if Goodyear was rebranding in the US under Dunlop. I like the sport maxi Race 2, so if Goodyear brings the F1 SS RS to the US would be fun to try them.
jamie@dundonmotorsports.com

www.dundonmotorsports.com
Facebook.com/dundonmotorsports
Instagram @dundon_motorsports
Old 01-21-2021, 02:49 AM
TheStiglet
Rennlist Member

Default Goodyear Supercar 3R is ace!

I finally discovered the Supercar 3R last year, I’ve spent plenty of time on PSC, PSC2, Corsa, Trofeo R, RE11, RE71R & fast Yokes among others. Sadly I haven’t tried the PSC2R....however they are also ferociously overpriced. The 3R is super sticky, definitely faster that Trofeo R, and closer in slip characteristics to a Hoosier R7 than a PSC2. It’s my new favorite street performance tyre!

Probably will wear out very fast, but considering the reasonable cost, seems like good value to me. Especially if mounted on a weekend driver, where I find myself throwing away tyres that have cycled or timed out on some cars after 3-5 years, even though there is meat on them.

They have definitely sizes for 997 GT3 RS & McLaren 675LT.
The following users liked this post:
Bonzai30 (02-20-2021)

Quick Reply: Goodyear supercar 3r - anyone try them yet?