Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For mostly track use: 991.2-3rs vs 718/981 gt4CS

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2019 | 02:54 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Default For mostly track use: 991.2-3rs vs 718/981 gt4CS

I love the performance, dependability and relatively reasonable running costs of the 991-gt3/gt3rs as a mostly-DE car. Now that I’m back in the states, clubsport packages aren’t even an option. So, turning a US spec GT into an actual track car takes some extra cash and actually destroys resale at the same time (wish we had CS packages here). I have a 991.2-3rs that I could throw in a half cage, harness and a few other goodies to make it my primary DE car. Or, I’ve considered a 981/718 gt4CS dedicated track car. For those of you that have owned both, thoughts? I have no desire to race. Initially, DE for me, was taking some of the best track-focused street cars on a circuit to see what they can really do and spend time BS’ing in between sessions. The half-street/half-trackcar thing was a better approach in the UK/europe where tracks were fairly densely located, the rules for what you can drag to the track were pretty much: “we assume if you drag a nice car to the track, you and the car must be fit” and where the cars can come oem with CS-type goodies. Now that i’m back in NYC as primary residence, not nearly as many circuits w/in reasonable driving distance. So, seems more reasonable to pick a home track and leave a dedicated car at/nearby it, and occasionally transport off to a farther-flung destinations for some variety.

so, if primarily a track weapon, just focusing gt4CS vs 991.2-3rs (I’m sure the options can expand a lot beyond those two), I’m curious what running costs/maintenance compare and I’m curious about fun factor. I don’t really care which one turns a faster lap. I’ll still occasionally drag out one of my antiques for pure fun, but have decided to either drop some money into my 991.2-3rs with track goodies or sell it in current OEM-condition and buy a gt4CS. Does the gt4CS leave you longing for a 9krmp rear-engined RS? Or will I never look back once I get into a true track car for DE use (again, I don’t want to race; I’m too old and slow to start down that path)?

I realize my questions are SOOOOO subjective and vague. But I’m curious to hear some feedback from people that have been down this road already.
The following users liked this post:
twospyders (08-01-2019)
Old 07-28-2019 | 02:57 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Probably gonna be totally dependent on how many weekends per year you plan on doing and the amount you'd actually drive the GT3RS around town.
Old 07-28-2019 | 02:59 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

For me, I'd have to figure the cost of a truck, trailer, and rental cost for storing all of above with the GT4 Clubsport (not street legal) or did you mean just Clubsport option on street car where you get seats, belts and rollbar? And I'm not interested in PDK, so I wouldn't consider the real racer GT4 Clubsport...
Old 07-28-2019 | 03:04 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Not much “driving around town” around NYC. Usually either a dedicated track day or a dedicated “full-day” for back road driving. For street driving, I have other stuff I’d pick over a 991 most of the time; stuff more fun to drive at street speeds. I’d guess I might do 10 DE events in a good year; that’s probably the max. Prob half dozen DE’s in a slow year.
Old 07-28-2019 | 03:30 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG
For me, I'd have to figure the cost of a truck, trailer, and rental cost for storing all of above with the GT4 Clubsport (not street legal) or did you mean just Clubsport option on street car where you get seats, belts and rollbar? And I'm not interested in PDK, so I wouldn't consider the real racer GT4 Clubsport...
Any car I own is going to get stored somewhere. I live in manhattan. the storage thing is indifferent between the two options.

I am in the US now; so, the CS option on a street car isn’t available on any car. I’m talking about the actual CS track/race car.

both of the options I’m asking about are pdk. I have lots of manual antique stuff I can drag out for nostalgia factor. I also have a manual 991 gt3 w/clubsport package in the UK. I’m asking about a track prepped US 991.2 3rs vs a US gt4CS dedicated track/race car.
Old 07-28-2019 | 04:09 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

The Clubsport is better for safety.

Otherwise no benefits

Its not a 911
Its not an RS
It’s slower
It cost more when you factor in towing and track support
Its a race car - You may get tempted into racing, do all cost x4.
Cant finance it
Cant easily insure it
No cars and coffee, no cruising for chicks
The following 2 users liked this post by TRAKCAR:
JAM2 (07-29-2019), Rennolazine (01-29-2020)
Old 07-28-2019 | 05:45 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Even if just parking it at a track I would go for the track prepped RS. I suspect you'd miss the power and experience of the RS with the GT4. Not in the market but i suspect between running costs and depreciation if there was enough of a gap that would result in cost being the swing factor. Durability and consumables maybe a little better with the CS. RS has more optionality if you want to do some street driving with it, however unlikely that seems today.

I think you have your answer. This is precisely why I think Porsche should have used the 3RS platform for the Club Sport instead of the GT2. And build as many as people want. You'd get a GT3 Cup with street (ish) running costs and much more unique experience.
Old 07-28-2019 | 05:48 PM
BusDriver
Instructor

I have been pondering the same choice... edited trakcar’s comments with my take.

Pros for GT4 Clubsport vs street GT3 RS
Clubsport is better for safety
Faster. faster than almost anything in DE
racecar response and adjustability

Cons
Its not a 911
It cost more when you factor in towing and track support
Limited usage - No street driving at all
Possible Overkill for DE
few racing opportunities without travel and it’s expensive to race this car
Old 07-28-2019 | 05:51 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Sounds about what I'm thinking: tough call with no obvious choice but prob no wrong choice either.
Old 07-28-2019 | 05:52 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by signes
This is precisely why I think Porsche should have used the 3RS platform for the Club Sport instead of the GT2. And build as many as people want. You'd get a GT3 Cup with street (ish) running costs and much more unique experience.
Totally agree. Sign me up.
Old 07-28-2019 | 06:02 PM
PierreTT
Rennlist Member

Bought a dedicated track car (Radical) and wont look back...
I almost bought a GT4 CS but wanted to run with other people. There is more SR3 in the field than CS, more fun and better learning when running with similar cars.
Experience is so much better, car is much faster and cheaper to run as a bonus.

Downside: trailer and/or storage space at the track

NYC streets are as good as a bad dirtbike track, A 3RS is useless there! :-)

My 0.02
Old 07-28-2019 | 06:46 PM
s996
Rennlist Member

If the GT4cs is the new more expensive version, why not consider a used cup 911.

A used cup car is about 2/3 the price of a new clubsport and similar to a cup you cannot get a warranty or insurance like and unmodded .2 rs

Consumables would probably be about the same if you do only de’s. Any newer rs street cars that you make a track prep you’re gonna have to leave near the track or trailer anyway.

The rs is going to be near worthless after a few years of dedicated track use and you convert it back and take away all the track bits then try to sell it as a used street car. A lot of it’s garage queen shine fades after a few thousand track miles. Hence value and recouping the dollars on the next versions are probably not there for a converted streetcar.

A cup or club sport is made much safer than a modified streetcar .

Are using it for DE and to go get ice cream on Sunday morning?

I am suffering the same decision right now moving from a .1 RS to a .2 RS or ??. The newer cars unlike my older rs are expensive to make more track worthy beyond the amazing capabilities that it already has. In the end though it is a streetcar.

tough choices.
Old 07-28-2019 | 06:51 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PierreTT
Downside: trailer and/or storage space at the track

NYC streets are as good as a bad dirtbike track, A 3RS is useless there! :-)

My 0.02
Not much of a downside for me because the "drive from my homes garage" option doesn't exist for me in Manhattan.

I rarely ever drive around NYC except on a holiday when it's TOTALLY dead. There are some 'ok' roads up/down the Hudson to just get out behind the wheel of something fun. But I'd rather do that in something older, slower and more character. 991rs, for me, is track-toy with maybe an occasional long organized street tour thing IF it incorporates a circuit along the way.
Old 07-28-2019 | 06:56 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by s996

Are using it for DE and to go get ice cream on Sunday morning?

In a more driving-oriented city, that answer would be 'yes'. In an NYC, the answer is 'yes' to almost purely the former with a very few exceptions to the latter.
Old 07-28-2019 | 07:02 PM
isv
Pro

Originally Posted by s996
If the GT4cs is the new more expensive version, why not consider a used cup 911.

A used cup car is about 2/3 the price of a new clubsport and similar to a cup you cannot get a warranty or insurance like and unmodded .2 rs

Consumables would probably be about the same if you do only de’s. Any newer rs street cars that you make a track prep you’re gonna have to leave near the track or trailer anyway.
J, the above imo is a good idea especially if the 981/718 gt4 cs is an alternative you would consider. Running at trackday pace without racing, the cost of consumables isn't as brutal and the cup would provide a much more focused track experience than any road car.

Quick Reply: For mostly track use: 991.2-3rs vs 718/981 gt4CS