Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

License Place Wrap for California?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 11:52 PM
iphilips
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts
Default License Place Wrap for California?

Anybody know about this?

a) how bad does it look on our cars?
b) who's getting booked in Cali with the new rules and no front license plate?
c) Is this legit? What's the process to get on the pilot? Just send Money and don't ask questions?

I live in San Francisco and don't street park the GT3. When I street park the Macan I get fix it tickets - at least last year but, I hear the fine is larger now?
Old 07-24-2019, 12:23 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 519 Likes on 327 Posts

You gotta love SF when it comes to this kind of stuff! Seriously though that looks like a great way to get it signed off when/if one get's cited, just buy a bunch of those and remove once you're cleared. Down here in Santa Cruz the CHP doesn't seem too interested in citing anyone. They've got plenty to do with expired plates around here. I've had them watch me drive by, driven behind them etc and no issues so far. I'm more worried about getting hassled for my exhaust then front plate Maybe if we had some bridges . . . .
Old 07-24-2019, 02:21 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Ivan, the higher fine the dealer told us about when I picked up my RS was a half-truth. It's a $1,000 fine. But not for the driver... it's for the dealer. If customers get cited for no front plate with the temp tag from the dealer, the dealer gets hit. They told us we would get fined just to try to scare us so they wouldn't get fined.

Also, just use the tow-hook plate mount. But you've got your tow hook perma-installed cuz you want errrrbody to know you're a track bro lol
Old 07-24-2019, 02:40 AM
iphilips
Racer

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Ivan, the higher fine the dealer told us about when I picked up my RS was a half-truth. It's a $1,000 fine. But not for the driver... it's for the dealer. If customers get cited for no front plate with the temp tag from the dealer, the dealer gets hit. They told us we would get fined just to try to scare us so they wouldn't get fined.

Also, just use the tow-hook plate mount. But you've got your tow hook perma-installed cuz you want errrrbody to know you're a track bro lol
So what's the fine these days for no front plate? Is it still just a fix it ticket?

How else do people know that I track unless I leave my tow hook mount attached? I need them to know I'm fully sic and this is the best way to do it.
The following users liked this post:
MJG911 (07-24-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 09:56 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by iphilips
So what's the fine these days for no front plate? Is it still just a fix it ticket?

How else do people know that I track unless I leave my tow hook mount attached? I need them to know I'm fully sic and this is the best way to do it.
The fine used to be like $160 or something like that. Hasn't changed as far as I know. I don't see anything online about a higher fine now.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:35 PM
ThEnder
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Also in SF. I got pulled over twice in prior cars for no front plate and just don't want to deal with the hassle of having that happen again. Looked at the carbonio solution but heard that it caused rubbing and color loss on the mesh so decided to run with a tow hook setup. It's an easy install and easy removal. Guess I'm losing out on that track cred though.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:38 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 523 Likes on 348 Posts

No way, no front plates, no stickers.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:07 PM
iphilips
Racer

The fine used to be like $160 or something like that. Hasn't changed as far as I know. I don't see anything online about a higher fine now.
If this is the case then yeah, I'll pay the fix it ticket. I was confused about the fine situation - seems like the fine is hefty for the dealer if you don't affix their temp tag to the front. But once you have your actual license plates and you only run a read then the fine is just fix it ticket scale.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:08 PM
iphilips
Racer

Originally Posted by ThEnder
Also in SF. I got pulled over twice in prior cars for no front plate and just don't want to deal with the hassle of having that happen again. Looked at the carbonio solution but heard that it caused rubbing and color loss on the mesh so decided to run with a tow hook setup. It's an easy install and easy removal. Guess I'm losing out on that track cred though.
You could always remove your rear plate and leave the tow hook in for track cred though :P
Old 07-24-2019, 07:29 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 519 Likes on 327 Posts

But you've got your tow hook perma-installed cuz you want errrrbody to know you're a track bro lol
I see lowered Honda Civics with half cages all the time down here with the same tow hooks. At least ours are technically authentic!
Old 07-24-2019, 09:33 PM
AllAboutThatP
Burning Brakes

Received 557 Likes on 278 Posts

I really hate the front plate nonsense. They require it in WI too, but I’ve never run one on my Raptor or my GT3RS and have never been hassled.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:41 PM
arty.pa
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been driving for 8 years without front plates and finally got a front plate ticket in January. It was simple fix and only $50 to get it signed off with additional fees. I bought a tow hook plate thingy from amazon for $15 and did the trick. Once I got home, I removed the plate and back to rocking no front plate again.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:51 PM
chris2
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 43 Posts

I thought most people don't run a front plate for aesthetic reasons, but this wrap and the tow hook plate defeat the purpose, so I never understood it. If you're going to put something on your bumper, you might as well just drill it and put the real plate on.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:39 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by chris2
I thought most people don't run a front plate for aesthetic reasons, but this wrap and the tow hook plate defeat the purpose, so I never understood it. If you're going to put something on your bumper, you might as well just drill it and put the real plate on.
Hell no. Drill holes in the bumper. You're crazy lol.

I keep the tow hook plate in the trunk. If I ever get pulled over I'll just say oh I took it off to clean the car and forgot to put it back on. See, it's right here.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:00 PM
Maxi_z
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

I am in Monaco (europe) so I know about nothing on the us laws about numberplates etc...

In Monaco as in the rest of europe the front numberplate is mandatory but in Monaco the front numberplate is quiet small

On many nice cars or supercars most people would fit the front numberplate on the front bumper without any kind of plastic numberplate holder as the ones for other european countries would look too big and ugly

Others will make a custom sticker version of the numberplate similar to that offered in your link (not completely legal but tolaretad often, sometimes police could argue that if it s too well made it could be considered falsification of an official plate so careful at local laws)

You could even for looks make a smaller scale version of the sticker numberplate (still not really legal but at least you got a front number and looks better but again look at local laws to see fines etc)

Other people in monaco with supercars just do not fit the front plate wich is illegal and just deal with a fine if they get stopped or carry the plate behind the front window

Drill the front bumper is not too nice but here we are used to do it... and depending on the car and plate location could be looking better and also leave better cooling to intakes compared to other way to fit front plate

If in your state you can usually drive without a front plate at all thats of course the best solution.... If not too bad legally (just a fine) I would do the front sticker wrap as in the link but custom made to a smaller size

What about fitting the legal front plate with very good quality double side tape?

Quick Reply: License Place Wrap for California?