Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rev limiting/ Throttle behavior on manual rev match - 991.2 GT3 Manual

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 03:23 AM
francisluu
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

More nuances! — everyone also knows about no-lift shifting while full throttle at redline. Note that you don't need to be in Sport mode to do this. Next time you try this, delay your shift to the next gear and hold the clutch in longer than you normally do while pegging the throttle. You'll hear the same rev-limiter flutter, though you're at around 7000 revs so the flutter starts to sound more like those anti-lag systems all those JDM turbo guys have
Old 07-01-2019, 03:25 AM
francisluu
Rennlist Member

To defeat the rev-limiter flutter, you have to wait just a bit longer before applying throttle after depressing the clutch pedal. You'll rev freely once you're beyond the no-lift shift's delay threshold.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:45 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,097 Likes on 544 Posts

It seems like, maybe, to defeat all the no-lift-shift/ rev-match type programming, you might need to blip later. You might need to blip later ANYWAY? Aren't you ideally needing to blip just before you let out the clutch to engage the lower gear?.....not necessarily as you are shifting? If you wait to blip until right before/as you are letting out the clutch, seems like optimal for rev-match and for defeating the 991.2-3 manual nannies? Idk for sure it's a "malfunctioning car thing"......it could be, so it wouldn't hurt to take it into dealer. But it does sound like one of those nuanced items you could go round and round and round with dealer about as being "broken" but another driver/tech is going to produce slightly different results with slightly diff inputs; and you will end up with 2-3 frustrating trips to the dealer with them claiming it's "user error" or "working properly". Idk, could be wrong, it could be totally malfunctioning? I'm betting it's the manual-3 shifting nannies being a little intrusive and you being forced to change your blip technique/timing a little as a result.

Good luck. It's a pretty cool system if it's working right and u are used to it.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:01 AM
carbondan
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by francisluu
To defeat the rev-limiter flutter, you have to wait just a bit longer before applying throttle after depressing the clutch pedal. You'll rev freely once you're beyond the no-lift shift's delay threshold.
Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
It seems like, maybe, to defeat all the no-lift-shift/ rev-match type programming, you might need to blip later. You might need to blip later ANYWAY? Aren't you ideally needing to blip just before you let out the clutch to engage the lower gear?.....not necessarily as you are shifting? If you wait to blip until right before/as you are letting out the clutch, seems like optimal for rev-match and for defeating the 991.2-3 manual nannies? Idk for sure it's a "malfunctioning car thing"......it could be, so it wouldn't hurt to take it into dealer. But it does sound like one of those nuanced items you could go round and round and round with dealer about as being "broken" but another driver/tech is going to produce slightly different results with slightly diff inputs; and you will end up with 2-3 frustrating trips to the dealer with them claiming it's "user error" or "working properly". Idk, could be wrong, it could be totally malfunctioning? I'm betting it's the manual-3 shifting nannies being a little intrusive and you being forced to change your blip technique/timing a little as a result.

Good luck. It's a pretty cool system if it's working right and u are used to it.

Interesting thoughts, thanks for the insight!!!! I think you might be right. I'll be driving the gt3 to work today so I'll test out blipping the throttle a bit later (say as I'm going into the lower gear's gate, rather than as I'm coming out of the higher gear's gate).
Will report back.
The fact that a handful of people report hearing what I'm experiencing and another handful never has heard of it, indicates to me it may be coming down to a difference in technique.
Thanks for the input gents, will report back.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:22 AM
sheerk
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It’s normal mine does it too..it’s kind of unpredictable...sometimes it lets you rev match other times it flutters or whatev...maybe it’s just that you have to wait a few seconds after you depress clutch...
Old 07-01-2019, 11:27 AM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

I think it's a question of moving, or actually releasing, the throttle pedal. As soon as you release it slightly, with clutch depressed, the auto rev matching is disabled. Haven't tried it, just thinking about it.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:40 AM
carbondan
Rennlist Member

Mystery solved. After all my 'Mr been driving manual for 15 years, I know what I'm doing'.... it was, indeed, user error.
If I wait until the gear is entering the lower gear's gate, then blip, it works perfectly.
This is definitely all related to the flat foot shifting programming.

Which brings up the second question, is there any way at all to lose that no-lift functionality? I absolutely don't need it, I never intend to upshift without lifting. Thanks for the help guys!
The following users liked this post:
rcg412 (12-21-2022)
Old 07-01-2019, 11:53 AM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

Yes, as I said just above, you only have to lift off the throttle pedal slightly, then it is disabled.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:54 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by carbondan
Mystery solved. After all my 'Mr been driving manual for 15 years, I know what I'm doing'.... it was, indeed, user error.
If I wait until the gear is entering the lower gear's gate, then blip, it works perfectly.

Which brings up the second question, is there any way at all to lose that no-lift functionality? I absolutely don't need it, I never intend to upshift without lifting. Thanks for the help guys!
That makes sense and was my guess. No way to disable the no-lift shifting program, but if you use proper technique it will never interfere nor make its existence known.
Old 07-01-2019, 12:22 PM
99Gdzra
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 180 Posts

That video is EXACTLY how my car reacts to blipping the throttle after depressing the clutch... I had created a thread asking as well. Thanks for making the video, it speaks more than any words I could come up with.
Old 07-01-2019, 12:24 PM
99Gdzra
Pro

Can you rev the motor freely in neutral? Or the car just sitting still? I can’t.... it does exactly the same thing. Fluttery rev.
Old 07-01-2019, 12:52 PM
carbondan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 99Gdzra
That video is EXACTLY how my car reacts to blipping the throttle after depressing the clutch... I had created a thread asking as well. Thanks for making the video, it speaks more than any words I could come up with.
They must have made an update to the software at some point in the production cycle.
I do wish there was a way to bypass this system. Porsche is usually pretty good at allowing nannies to be disabled.
Old 07-01-2019, 01:29 PM
99Gdzra
Pro

They must have made an update to the software at some point in the production cycle.
I do wish there was a way to bypass this system. Porsche is usually pretty good at allowing nannies to be disabled.
My car is a January 18’ build...
Old 07-01-2019, 02:58 PM
francisluu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 99Gdzra
Can you rev the motor freely in neutral? Or the car just sitting still? I can’t.... it does exactly the same thing. Fluttery rev.
Sitting still, there's a 4000 RPM rev limiter. If you stomp on the throttle pedal, it can be brought to 5000 RPM (forget whether or not you need to be in 1st with the clutch depressed — it's a faux launch control of sorts). If you're moving (even fairly slowly) you can rev all the way to 9000 RPM.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:13 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,097 Likes on 544 Posts

^^^^saves you on track day static tests!

Quick Reply: Rev limiting/ Throttle behavior on manual rev match - 991.2 GT3 Manual